Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

The tale of two deer woods... A week ago or so I was posting about all kinds of bucks showing up on cam, bucks sparring, and every young buck in the woods was cruising and harassing everything he saw. Typical of late October.

Fast forward. Here we are November 7 and cameras are quiet. Does want nothing to do with being out in the open. The amount of blurry pics of does is astonishing. Every time I get a picture of a doe on a field edge, a buck is right there to chase her off. Its getting tense out there. We may be a week from peak rut but certainly there is some hot does out there and the act of repopulating the woods has begun. Its about that time to see some mid day giants.

Big weather change coming in the next 24 hours. 60 degrees and windy. 30 mph gusts today as this cold front comes in.  Overnight low about 30 degrees, daytime highs in the low 40s, and winds less than 10 mph, Tomorrow looks picture perfect!

• Like 1

I am sorry to say I witnessed a buck and doe in lockdown breeding in a nearby thicket. I have seen movement slow considerably from Saturday to today. I have been out for all day sits. Going fishing tomorrow. I am going to need a vacation from my week off. 

9 hours ago, Gill-T said:

I am sorry to say I witnessed a buck and doe in lockdown breeding in a nearby thicket. I have seen movement slow considerably from Saturday to today. I have been out for all day sits. Going fishing tomorrow. I am going to need a vacation from my week off. 

Gill-T nailed it!

Trail cams arent capturing the complete picture of mature buck travel right now. Most of my cameras are in spots meant to inventory the herd and are not in those travel corridors and or bedding areas. However yesterday I had 3 mature bucks on their feet during the daylight. Since last friday I have had steady buck movement through out the entire day but for the first time this year one my mature bucks was on his feet midday. My number 2 buck was out walking around yesterday at 1100. Some damn good weather short term and Im expecting some giants should fall this weekend.

Chasing yesterday all morning til i left at noon, shouldn't have left with 30+ deer of all sizes coming thru. One of my best days ever! Good luck to those still out there!

Edited by zach