Basic trolling advice - Owasco Lake

Stunsm

Hello everyone!  I'm located on Owasco, and I've mostly just fished around the coves and points for bass/perch, but after catching a few big lake trout on a charter last year decided to give trolling a try.  It turns out I'm extremely bad at it, and I realize I have no idea what I'm doing.  Could anyone offer some basic tips for an absolute trolling noob?  Here is what I'm usually trying, I've caught 2 or 3 small rainbows but am mostly just driving up and down the lake for a few hours at a time with no luck, then head to one of the coves to catch a few consolation rock bass.

1. Mostly staying around 60-120 ft of water, looking for baitfish on the finder, usually running North to South or South to North
  2. Generally keeping the balls at around 40-80, depending on what I'm seeing above
  3. Trying different spoons and spinners, usually 30-40 ft behind the ball, with a 10-20' 10lb mono leader
  4. Usually running 1.5-2 mph

I'd greatly appreciate any advice that anyone could offer, especially if you're familiar with Owasco.  Thanks!

I have found the most success using wire lines and dipsy divers.  I run 2 deep between 60-80 foot down pulling flasher and fly combos for Lakers then run 2 higher in the 25-35 foot mark with spoons for rainbows, browns, walleyes and pike. I also park a couple riggers in the 20-45 foot mark with small spoons. Oddly enough we have caught different fish at all depths. For example we caught a smallmouth this weekend on a flasher fly combo in 100 ft of water down 80. And have caught big lakers down 20 over 100’ on small spoons. 
Its a fun lake but takes some time to really figure it out. 

• Like 1

I still consider myself very green when it comes to trolling, but I've has pretty good success near the bottom in 70-90 FOW pulling cowbells and spin n glos for lakers. This is always a bit of an adventure as the lake has some pretty significant depth changes that can sneak up on you, so make sure to adjust the riggers as needed and not get snagged. Down speed around 1.7-2.0 mph and if you don't have a probe, usually was around 2.3-ish on the gps speed. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Ditto Anthony. You have come a long way in your fishing in a relatively short time:smile:

Thanks Les!  I really owe it to the boards, flta club members and the folks like you who share the knowledge!  I am just trying to pay it forward..   to be honest I do keep secrets close to the chest that guys tell me are secrets.  All my reports are really things you can find anywhere on the internets or by following other captains on YouTube!