Knee replacement surgery

I've had relatives get it, along with hips.  Have the surgery, get epoxied back together; bedrest for a day then get kicked out of bed and PT for a couple weeks or so.  Only downside is that you'll be advised to give up pole vaulting.  

I used to be a surgical technician and assisted with this surgery with multiple surgeons and multiple systems the one thing they all agreed on was that Physical Theropy is by far the most important factor. Get up and moving as soon as you can listen to your therapist and do the work if you do it is 100% worth it I have talked to many patients that said it was hard but it was the best decision they could have made and would  recommend it. So if your ready for it do it as a fellow fisherman for what it's worth I'm in your corner 

My brother in law had both hips replaced and after  hiked all 46 high peaks of the ADKs . 

I had an Aunt who basically could not walk have both knees replaced and walked to the grocery store daily after . This was 25 years ago . 

Joint replacement surgery has sure come a long way . 

Several friends and neighbors have had knee and/or hip replacement procedures. Each of them has mentioned that it has been life changing. The rehabilitative therapy (PT) is not easy but as stated above it is totally necessary and can drastically affect to final outcome of the surgery according to them. If it were me I would also check to the degree I could (e.g. online or with people that have had a particular surgeon do it, maybe talk with your primary care physician if you respect his/her judgement).  Sometimes reviews can be helpful. Not all surgeons are equal and you should have confidence in the one selected, but also the procedures themselves (multiple ways of doing the surgeries with different re-cooperation times) have improved greatly in recent times.

• Like 1

Bluewater..I just had my rt knee total knee replacement done last week 9 days post op today. Surgery went well stayed overnight in hospital home next morning. They had me walking once left recovery and in my room. Next morning pt bright n early walking the halls then took me to pt room to learn and walk stairs. Yesterday Fri 10/27 first day of pt..definitely sore but everyone says work hard and it's a life changer. I also had a reverse shoulder replacement last year that was tough,year long recovery. FYI I just retired turned 61 last week been a great retirement 2 surgeries. My surgeon Dr. Grimm canandaigua he did my first rotator cuff years ago and 2 prior knee surgeries before this replacement. Big decision but everyone I know or spoke to that had their knee replaced said it was best thing they ever did. The day I was released from hospital the physician assistant forgot to sign for a walker for me was in OR released without it, got home used a 2x4 as a cane lol

Any questions feel free to message I'll send u my number. 

Jim 

Highly recommend knee replacement surgery if you’re in pain. I had left knee done in 2009 and right in 2011. Have had zero issues since. Just turned 70 last month. As everyone has said, the success lies in the rehab. Being in good shape before the surgery also helps greatly with the PT. 

Good luck

I hear the knees are a little more painful than the hips as far as recovery and physical therapy? As far as hips go, I had both replaced last year. Left in February and the right in September, then a hernia surgery in December. I should have had the hips done years ago, I feel so much better, can move so much better, it’s incredible. The recovery and physical therapy was a piece of cake compared to the pain I was in before the replacements!

IMG_5325.png