Downrigger help

Asking for some ideas. I want to run my DR and dipsey rod out of the same gimbal mount. I have two gimbals on each side but the second gimbal sits too far forward on the boat for my liking. I saw the attached photo on this site and seems like the easiest option. However, I have the newer style cannon riggers with a different style rod holder. Does anyone know of the newer rod holder would be strong enough for a dipsey rod. Anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks for listening. The first photo is from the site. The second is my boat setup with new style rod holder. 

612B2271-D1A2-4C4D-90BD-C0E263E3787F.png

18436402-BDDE-4CAA-8FFE-A7BE21DC371E.jpeg

We’ve since replaced the riggers and added tracks where we now run the divers. Have run the riggers out of gimbles for five years now with no issue. 

Thanks guys. I would like to mount both behind the Bimini top and enclose it. There is only enough room for that gimbal. A long track between the two gimbals would interfere with the Bimini. Would these work with manual rigger. Big price tag!DB0D4F84-3F71-4C3F-BC78-EDB796A06CD4.thumb.jpeg.3c4af3412e9b57c6767f1d4696649d14.jpeg

I have 2 sets of gimbals and although I can run 4 riggers I usually only run two on the back two gimbals and use the two more forward ones for the divers and board rods with three holders on each mounted to 17 inch tracks.

Here is a pic:

cannons.JPG

I will just provide you with my experience

I have used the gimbal mounts for over 20 years just like you have shown. It works fine with the booms out to the side when using light, 8# downrigger weights and fishing down to 80’ or so.

When you fish deeper, with heavier weights, add on the drag of a dipsy with wire or lead core, cooper etc I found that the stainless “pin” in the bottom of the deck mounted rod holder the gimbal slides into really gets stressed and bends. The gimbal twists a little too with everything attached. I would keep an eye on those, I changed mine because of the fear of the loss of one breaking.

i don’t know if the whole thing can “escape” but I didn’t risk it.

i do not use the gimbal set up at Ontario anymore, bolted everything down to the boat! I do use the gimbals on the finger lakes.

King fishing gets deep and puts a lot of stress on your gear!

just my experience with this setup

why not just get tracks as long enough that they will fit on your gunnel and mount all your rods to the tracks?

I started with 24" tracks to run 3 diver rigs on each side. They worked but were just too close together. I then added another 24" track and that gave me the room I needed to space my rigs apart. then when my oldest son and I bought a larger used boat I added another 24" track. now I run 3 Cannon ratcheting holders per side plus a spare holder and a Traxstech angled holder per side for putting our Ego S2 slider rod holders in and have plenty of spacing plus a little extra room.

go as long as you can fit on your gunnels.

SK8man uses 17" tracks to run 3 rigs. For me, that would be too close together for the reels to have good clearance for removing the rods with a fish on. I started with 24" tracks which had my line counter reels almost touching each other. when a fish hit I found it troublesome to grab that rod and have the reel not hit another reel. but what works for one doesn't always mean it's going to work for everyone.

I had to very carefully set up my track thing because of the position of the bimini support as well. Here is a pic of my previous setup that handled both Seth greens, and diver rods etc. although it was a bit clumsy reaching for rodsrodholder.thumb.JPG.cc193c80749e47584f4846f21e454311.JPG

Thanks, sk8man. That is just the way I am set up. A bit difficult to get the dipsey rod out and maneuver around the  bimini especially with a large fish on the line. May just have to live with it if I want to fish with the top on. Trying to fish and spend family time out on the same boat has its compromises.

my top leaned a bit down in the front but not enough to cause any problems. all I did was move my back support braces as far forward as I could get away with. That gave me enough extra room for my holders on tracks.

on my last top, it used straps instead of the posts. on it I had my back straps going almost straight down to the cleats.

but good luck working out the best way to fish with your bimini top in use. Have you considered moving the complete top forward on the boat?

I have Traxtech tracks on my boat. They make a few universal base plates which i used to mount all my older rod holders. You could mount the bimini support bracket to the base and keep it in the track.. use a quick release hitch pin to raise or lower the top without removing the base from the track.

2023_source_1637699806.thumb.jpg.b81119dbbcff6874925ed0f6f3250dbf.jpg

universal bases with a mix of rod holders

Notice the lower left corner of the pic. I have 2 sections of track on each side, I left a 8" space between the tracks so I could add / remove from both front or  back of the track.

Aog122013fishing004.thumb.JPG.0753742b7d6e06580d55ad5c303a9b38.JPG

Notice also... I replaced my rear bimini hard post with an adjustable nylon strap and moved the mount inside away from the track..

Aog122013fishing004.thumb.JPG.49b507c3f039428bb23929937435d19f.JPG

Another option would be to mount one section of track forward of your bimini mount for rod holders or a diver rod, and another section behind for the downriggers. Tracks are aluminum so cutting and drilling for customization is easy.

Edited by J.D.

I hope you get everything worked out. but if it gives you enough room for tracks and 3 holders by moving the top forward. all you would need to do is move the top mounts forward and then set your posts as far forward as you can and not affect using the top too much. it is definitely something I would be looking at.  but this is only my opinion though. if the mounts you use now won't work you can find many styles on the net.

One of the things I used to do as far as the bimini support being in the way is when just trolling (and not real windy) I hitched up the support that was in the way to the other support and just freed up the space. It usually is OK as long as you aren't frequently picking up and running. The existing support and the hooked straps in the front held the bimini in place when just trolling.

Edited by Sk8man

After using my old Cannons for 28 years I treated myself to some newer ones.  Yes.  The rod holders seem a bit wimpy.  I think I remember reading in the literature that came with the riggers that you shouldn't use more than 50 lb. test line on poles placed in the holders.  That might suggest what you can subject them to. Disclaimer: That 50# is just what I think I remember.  According to my wife, as she told me on our anniversary, my memory isn't the best.  Better check for yourself.

Spoon Fed

Cayuga Lake

20 minutes ago, Tluc said:

Yankee, can I use those dual axis holders with crank riggers or would they interfere with the crank handle? Thanks.

That's a great question I don't have the answer to.

2 hours ago, Tluc said:

Yankee, can I use those dual axis holders with crank riggers or would they interfere with the crank handle? Thanks.

the holders are far enough forward they should clear the handle with some extra room. i have 2 Big Jon electric riggers with Big Jon dual holders mounted on them. i have used the crank several times for small adjustments and the manual crank had plenty of space.

and as an option, you may be able to install mounts for your braces far enough ahead to attach your mounts so that you have the whole thing clear. but this is just something you might check out. just take the brace loose at the bottom and move it forward until it could be mounted and SEE IF IT STILL SUPPORTS THE TOP. then if it will work you can add mounts where you can move the braces to the front for fishing then if you wanted you could move them back.