downrigger weights

1 hour ago, orangediablo said:

Only ones i've used in the that bunch has been the torpedo style.  Haven't had a reason to change yet.  I'm too cheap for the Sharks

X2. What you might want to consider is you want to run the same weights on all your riggers. I always ran 4 or at least had 4 riggers mounted and preferred the torpedo weights from the old Atomic mold. Always ran true, very little blow back and 1/2 the price of sharks. Sharks are the best if you don't mind paying the price. Different blow back and shaped weights will result in problems.

Edited by spoonfed-1
  • Like 1

I have used many different styles over my 40+ years using riggers and the 3rd one from the top is by far the best weight bi have ever used. I started using 8# dredge weights a few years ago when we forgot to load my 12# pancak weights but found the 8# dredge weights on the used boat we had just bought.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 8:24 AM, Zinger11 said:

I fished the trench area one spring for a week felt the fishing was slow and never went back. Ever since I  fish the high rocks near the plant and fish out of Catfish Creek 

4 hours ago, orangediablo said:

Those of you using 16# and heavier weights, what snubber, if any, are you using?

I’ve been using the fish thief ( Heavy Duty) snubbers in my Canon mag 10 STX with Uber fast retrieve for 3 years with no issues. Make sure you order the HD for weights up to 20# 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chinook35 said:

I’ve been using the fish thief ( Heavy Duty) snubbers in my Canon mag 10 STX with Uber fast retrieve for 3 years with no issues. Make sure you order the HD for weights up to 20# 

My exact setup.  Good to know everything has been positive.

16# torpedos from troutman87 also as well as 17# sharks.  Both with Amish Outfitter snubbers on the Canon mags and both worked well.

1 hour ago, Cat Power said:

Dreamweaver snubber here 

I was a little shy about the dreamweaver rip cord snubbers. They are advertised as for diver snubbers  and nowhere is there a weight recommendation for them. The Amish would be a good choice also with 500 # spectra   So far the fish thief has worked well for me 

7 hours ago, orangediablo said:

Those of you using 16# and heavier weights, what snubber, if any, are you using?

I use the Amish ones. Ive done the fish thief and didn’t like all the stretch.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

I use the Amish ones. Ive done the fish thief and didn’t like all the stretch.

The stretch is what makes them work 😝 

Interesting conversation regarding snubbers. Never ran a snubber on my riggers and never lost a weight because of it. I must just be lucky. Thats after 25 yrs of aggressive fishing.

Edited by spoonfed-1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spoonfed-1 said:

Interesting conversation regarding snubbers. Never ran a snubber on my riggers and never lost a weight because of it. I must just be lucky. Thats after 25 yrs of aggressive fishing.

The new super fast retrieval rates on the newer riggers can be a problem without snubbers to cushion the sudden stop and to keep the weight from coming out of the water in rough seas  it doesn’t seem to be a problem with older riggers and ones without fast retrieval rates 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chinook35 said:

The new super fast retrieval rates on the newer riggers can be a problem without snubbers to cushion the sudden stop and to keep the weight from coming out of the water in rough seas  it doesn’t seem to be a problem with older riggers and ones without fast retrieval rates 

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

8 hours ago, frenchy 1957 said:

whats the weight poundage best i have 13 pds now  what  next should i get

I use Troutmans 13# torpedoes to around 80’ and when temp gets deeper than that I go to his 16#.

• Like 2