Roller VS Bunk Trailers

I was always a roller trailer guy until an experience at the boat launch at Olcott one spring. Launching a 210 Thompson with a roller trailer we found ourselves in a three ring circus. What happened upon trying to launch was backing down over water as one usually does. Upon loosening the winch cable/rope the boat wanted to roll but the emergency chain was still on so first had to remove that. Had to winch the boat up somewhat to relieve pressure but to relieve enough pressure had to pull boat up ramp somewhat to do that. There was a person on the trailer at the winch with a separate rope to the boat eye. Once pressure was relieved next was to release the main cable/line to boat. But as soon as that was removed the boat took off and could not control the decent with the attached rope to boat.  I saw what was happening as the driver and tried to quickly back the boat down the ramp. It splashed into the water. Only problem upon take out discovered part of the skeg broke off the IO. I guess in hindsight the boat had to be backed further down the ramp over water but the problem with that one would have needed waders as the water was too deep to stand on the trailer at the winch. Been hesitant to like roller trailers since. Think the problem only occurs with steep boat ramps. I have a 210 Thompson also with a bunk trailer I like because when launching it stays put until over water. Floats off easily and drives on easily without worrying rolling off trailer when pulling out of water. Anyone else have a tree stooges experience? 

Yes. I had the same thing happen to me in Olcott as well. It was a scary experience. I was afraid that the lower unit would somehow have jarred loose and caused a leak. But there was no leak and things were fine.

I still prefer the rollers, because on most ramps I back up fast and stop, causing the boat to roll backward so I don’t have to do back up that far.

I have had both trailers in my time. Currently my trailer is a roller trailer.  roller trailer, especially mine you do not unhook the safety chain untill the stren of the boat is in the water....I think the roller trailer is easier to launch solo than a bunk trailer. I have a guy that fishes with the crew he has a bad habit to unhook the winch and safety chain while the boat is on the ramp . I have to yell out the drivers window not to . Only been fishing with for 20 years lol dose it every time. Bunk trailer, you need to keep track of the bunk coming lose, from the nuts to the bolts to the  bracket on the trailer. worn out carpet. rotten wood . Need to put tailer in deeper into water than a roller trailer. I have had all of those  problems.the Boat dose stay on trailer better ... witch i do like the way the boat stays on the trailer on the ramp with a bunk trailer. Each their own I guess make it work. 

2 hours ago, fisherdude said:

I have had both trailers in my time. Currently my trailer is a roller trailer.  roller trailer, especially mine you do not unhook the safety chain untill the stren of the boat is in the water....I think the roller trailer is easier to launch solo than a bunk trailer. I have a guy that fishes with the crew he has a bad habit to unhook the winch and safety chain while the boat is on the ramp . I have to yell out the drivers window not to . Only been fishing with for 20 years lol dose it every time. Bunk trailer, you need to keep track of the bunk coming lose, from the nuts to the bolts to the  bracket on the trailer. worn out carpet. rotten wood . Need to put tailer in deeper into water than a roller trailer. I have had all of those  problems.the Boat dose stay on trailer better ... witch i do like the way the boat stays on the trailer on the ramp with a bunk trailer. Each their own I guess make it work. 

I've had both types also. UnLoading with a roller is easier but going solo makes where you almost can't drive it on because with no one to attach the cable it might roll back in water, depends on steepness of ramp. In that case solo would have to line it on with bow rope and maybe have to get in water. I've already climbed out the hatch and climbed onto trailer when I was by myself with my bunk trailer. Maintenance is more of an issue, replaced rotten bunks and carpeting along with metal plates they attached to. How about what is best for boat in underneath support On an older boat 1990 Thompson does the support matter with supporting the stringers etc better

Years ago, I had a 21 ft PennYann that weighed roughly 4K Lbs on a tandem axle roller trailer.  I was dumb enough to go fishing at the river in early November. (River ramp real steep with shallow water) I had a steel cable on the winch.  Upon retrieval, I got it roughly 3/4 of the way on the trailer and the cable snapped.  Pulled bow line right out of my hand.  Boat went back out in the river about 25 ft from end of dock.  Nobody else around so had to take the winter suit/boots off and go swimming.  Colder than all get out!  Got rid of that beast the following year. (for other reasons) My current smaller boat (18 ft;r) has a trailer that is half roller & half bunk. (Rollers on keel & at transom) It's never been a problem launching or retrieving. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had both types and have used a bunk type for the first twenty two years with my 13 foot Whaler and the bunk type for my 18 ft Whaler for the the past twenty two years. The first trailer was not galvanized and broke in half while retrieving it at the launch so having a galvanized one is a good idea and never an issue with the present one. Along the way, I was cautioned by two different seasoned mechanics to use the bunk type trailer with glass boats as the roller type can create slight wavy dents or very fine cracks in the bottom of the boat surface (from trailering). I have had to replace the wooden bunks only once (last year) so although it was a minor pain it was worth doing. The one critical thing about bunks is that they have to be properly aligned with the structure of the boats hull and any installed transducers etc., When I say aligned I mean that the angle of each bunk has to fit and barely rest against the bottom contour of the boat. It is crucial to loading the boat back on the trailer at the dock; otherwise the boat will be hard (if not impossible) to get straight on the trailer and especially with tight clearance as there is on mine. With the bunk trailer I have never had the problem described above with the boat sliding off the trailer. I did have it once with the roller trailer even with the little 13 footer and it definitely related to the angle of the launch which was steep.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s, Boston Whaler recommended bunk trailers only, even to the point of including it on their handout brochures you collected as a kid back then.