Happy Eclipse day 😄

Posted (edited)

The clouds made it a bust but it still was pretty cool . I fished through it and caught a few . But I could not see my float for a few minutes . 

A stiff NE wind started blowing about 1 . When it started to get a little dark about 20 min before it calmed right down . The rooster across the creek started in . Also all the creek dogs started to howl .A bunch of fireworks was blown off.  Then it was over.  

Highly overplayed . Wife and I took a drive through Brockport and the college . More traffic for graduation .

Pike was caught on a 1/32 oz  chart curly tail under a float 4# tippet.  

KIMG0034.JPG

Edited by HB2

No I did not measure it but I think it was 44" or so but it was fat . 

I have a hard time judging weight of pike as some are skinny so you can't go by weight. I say it's all of 15# . 

I almost didn't take the pic . I wanted to get it back in the water . 

It's our there for  someone else to catch . 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HB2 said:

No I did not measure it but I think it was 44" or so but it was fat . 

I have a hard time judging weight of pike as some are skinny so you can't go by weight. I say it's all of 15# . 

I almost didn't take the pic . I wanted to get it back in the water . 

It's our there for  someone else to catch . 

40" plus for sure.  Are those 8" deck boards?  Thats a true trophy for around here.  Congrats Gary!  

Yup, that's a good 'un. Not that I'm an expert, but my top pike(s) have been 17 lb, and that looks bigger to me. Scotty had something on upstream a few days ago that ripped him a new one but didn't fight like a silver. I wonder if it could have been a similar or even the same fish. 

Right as the maximum darkness of the Eclipse happened everything was very still and then the coyotes started howling and kipping like hell here and then quit as it lightened really interesting.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gator said:

Yup, that's a good 'un. Not that I'm an expert, but my top pike(s) have been 17 lb, and that looks bigger to me. Scotty had something on upstream a few days ago that ripped him a new one but didn't fight like a silver. I wonder if it could have been a similar or even the same fish. 

Well I guess we will never know for sure , not that  it matters much . All I do know is I feel fortunate to  have hooked and landed it and get it back in the water to swim away . If I would have measured and weighed it ,it would have most likely died .

I'm blessed that I have a place where I can fish that whenever my float drops , It  could be a 3 " perch , a bass , trout ,salmon, carp , sunfish , or a nice pike . And that's fun . 

Edited by HB2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Right as the maximum darkness of the Eclipse happened everything was very still and then the coyotes started howling and kipping like hell here and then quit as it lightened really interesting.

The turkeys in the lagoons at work went to roost.  They were there for ten minutes and came back out of the roost.  

The pictures are all in my mind 

Besides , if I got all the big fish I caught in my life mounted , I'd be broke and need to put an addition on my house . 

13 minutes ago, HB2 said:

The pictures are all in my mind 

Besides , if I got all the big fish I caught in my life mounted , I'd be broke and need to put an addition on my house . 

You say it like its a bad thing! :rofl:

I fish a little most every day , sometimes 3 times a day , certain times of the year .

Sometimes it's great and sometimes  it's not . 

When it's really good ,  it can become quite tiresome hauling all those big fish in . When the kings are in I got tendonitis in my left elbow 3 years in a row .

But I guess we all have our crosses to bear . 

On 4/10/2024 at 3:39 PM, HB2 said:

I fish a little most every day , sometimes 3 times a day , certain times of the year .

Sometimes it's great and sometimes  it's not . 

When it's really good ,  it can become quite tiresome hauling all those big fish in . When the kings are in I got tendonitis in my left elbow 3 years in a row .

But I guess we all have our crosses to bear . 

That’s funny, I get tendinitis in my forearm every fall.  I finally stopped going to Physical Therapy now that I know what to do when it starts up and nip it in the bud.