plans for building planer boards

i recently began using planer boards (the yellow "off shore" type) and realized that the type you use with a mast seems far superior - but more expensive.

Does anyone have (and is willing to share) a set of building plans for making your own planer boards?

many thanks,

andre

Dan, I run the board approx. 50-60' from each side of the boat, depending on traffic, I will run longer.

The idea of the mast is to keep the planer line up high out of the water so you can attach your fishing line to it and it will slide down the planer line to whatever distance from the board you want it.

The planer line MUST be kept out of the water so the boards run to the sides instead of in back of the boat.

Try to keep the mast or whatever as far to the front of the boat as possible.

I let out my fishing line anywhere from 40-120' back, then I use shower hooks and rubber bands to attach my fishing line to the planer line. The shower hooks will then slide down the planer line.

When the fish hits, the rubber band will break and it's FISH ON (hopefully)

Hope this helps.

PS: If you don't want to fart around with this, you can always use inline boards. :)

• 10 years later...

I made a set as well they work great till the wood starts to get waterlogged after a few years. Then mine sat way low in water. If you figure out a way of drying them out (kiln dry level dry) over the winter and they will last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

What is the reasoning for the 27 degree angle on the front of the boards? I would think the more lower edge in the water the harder they would pull. My in lines are not angled and I move the weights forward to keep the leading edge in the water and pulling. My boat came with a mast and boards that I have not yet used but I will after I get a set of collapsible boards.The plans indicate the tow point is just above center with 3 different positions. What is the effect of moving this forward and back?

If anyone had plans for collapsible boards I would appreciate seeing them.

Edited by horsehunter

On 1/28/2018 at 9:03 AM, horsehunter said:

What is the reasoning for the 27 degree angle on the front of the boards? I would think the more lower edge in the water the harder they would pull. My in lines are not angled and I move the weights forward to keep the leading edge in the water and pulling. My boat came with a mast and boards that I have not yet used but I will after I get a set of collapsible boards.The plans indicate the tow point is just above center with 3 different positions. What is the effect of moving this forward and back?

If anyone had plans for collapsible boards I would appreciate seeing them.

Bringing this back to the top in hopes of your thoughts and especially finding plans for collapsing boards

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Made my first set. Was pretty easy made them 27 inches long. Took down to river behind the dam water probably 5 mile per hr currents. Pulled great sat a little low but just standing there .

0304180840.jpg

0303181939.jpg

Edited by phil2

I must say in the picture with them sitting on the floor  it looks like they are put together backwards. The back board is supposed to sit farther forward than the front. 

The ones in the water look correct. 

Edited by nysrx01

I used bobs plans and have yet to find a board that pulls harder. I made mine out of cedar siding, therefore I don’t have to paint them, and they work even better after a 1/2 hrs. Later after they soak up water and get heavier, this way you won’t have to add weight to the outside board if you get into heavy rollers or waves greater than 2ft+ you stand a good chance that they could flip if pulling long cores or dipsys, the further they sit in the water the better, understanding there’s a limit to how far they sit.