satelite radio

Starting to think of what my xmas present to myself should be, and got to thinking

about satelite radio for the boat. I have zero experience or knowledge of satelite

radio.

So, does anyone have it on your boat, do you like it, pro's and con's?

Thanks....

John

I don't leave home without it. I have XM in the truck and Sirius in the car. I take the XM unit out of the truck and put it in my boat. I don't know that last time I listened to AM/FM radio. I prefer XM over Sirius and my wife prefers Sirius over XM. Since the merger of the two, I believe you can pay for a subscription to both XM and Sirius at a discounted rate and get all the stations. I suppose the only con is the monthly fee we have to pay.

I have had sat radio for about 5 years. When I first got it it I thought it was the greatest. I listen to music for the most part, sometimes, business, and hockey talk. I have to admit I have been less enthusiastic since the merger of XM and Sirrius as the music programming has not been what it used to for my taste. I think my next move is to pick up a smart phone that I can stream internet radio on and then plug that into a sound system on the boat. I don't know if I can do that but Im looking into it.

I have XM in my truck and love it and can't live without it. The CD player that came with my boat has a hookup but I don't use it, if I had an I/O running all the time with no worry of killing my batteries I would run the radio non stop but instead I listen to rigger hum and my kicker and drags every so often...if you can get away with running a radio all day I say go for it.

Here is my experience with XM radio.

I *had* it since it originally came out back in 01/02 as a family add on since my dad had it as well so it will like 8.00 per month plus if you paid for a 2 year deal they discounted it even more. I was going to cancel it last year but they called me and said you can do a year contract for $50.00, ok so I sign up for another year.

My credit card that they had expired on file midway through the contract and that was fine with me so they did not automatically bill me for additonal months once it was up.

My radio finally shuts off in Aug 09, no problem. In september 09 I get a letter from a collection company stating that I have a debt to pay to XM radio for $44.xx. I called up XM to find out what the hell that is for.

I was told by customer service that even through my credit card was expired they continue the service for 2 months and then shut it off if it. I never received a bill for this, only a collection letter. I asked what month's was this for; July, Aug & September. What a minute September is still 3 weeks away, well we bill ahead for service. My year contract was up in June 2009 so I agree'd that I would pay for 1 month of July, but not Aug/Sept since the radio stopped working only a few days into august. They said fine and took payment and closed the collection against me. I informed the customer service agent that I felt it was rediculous and would never get there service again. After this statement she hung up on me.

However my wife has a XM roady that she did a 1 year subscription like 6 year ago and it still works and she has never received a bill or anything from them

My In-laws experience with Sirius

They got a portable unit from there son that didn't want it anymore. When the service stopped they called and said they wanted to continue here is the credit card. A day later there son called that Sirius charged is credit card for a year of service and it over drew his account. They called Sirius and they said it would be 10 business days before they could credit the money back into his account. Skip ahead a year after the service stopped they decide to re-up for another year and gave them the credit card number to charge. A day later there son call's and said Sirius charged me again.

Bottom line since XM and Sirius megered and there is basically only 1 satellite radio service there customer service is ****.

Unfortunately I will never either service because of this reason and I really liked it when I had it. I now have a blackberry that has Pandora(music streaming) and have a adapter to plug it into my radio. BUT no Opie and Anthony :(

I have been a Sirius user for almost 5 years now, and rarely listen to AM/FM anymore. I grab the radio head out of the truck's docking station and put it in the docking station in the boat when I head out on the water. The variety of different channels available satisfies anyone I have on the boat. Only time I listen to AM/FM is for local news around home (AM) and for a morning show on FM during the week while commuting to work and once I get to work. Otherwise, when I'm in the truck, it's Sirius for me. Wouldn't leave home without it!