Safety equip ?s

chowder

Lots of new/ small PFD vests & belts out there. Looking for advice on best options.

Need new flares ( don't trust the stuuf that came w/ these boats(bought them used) what should I get & best way to keep them usable?- how long can you trust them?

Good safety ring choices? (been using floating seat cushions- not sure this is a great idea)

Thanks

Andy, PFD's come in many styles. Stearns makes a nice vest type for use in emergencies or you can go with the suspender type inflatables which can be worn all the time onboard. You have to decide what's best for you.

Flareguns can be bought at BPS, Gander, or any marine dealer. The flares are dated with an expiration date which the CG checks. I keep my gun & flares in a zip lok bag under the seat.

Seat cushions are not considered PFD's anymore. One throwable device (either cushion or ring) must be on your boat though. (Another CG rule).

:yes:

get new flares and if you dont have a water proof box just use you vac-sealer to keep dry, seat cushions are acceptable if there in good shape for a small boat for a emergency throw device, better than nuttin,rings are mandatory on larger vessels over a given length (cant recall exact length) do a search....even then it should be hung in a ready acessable place and kept in "new"shape , the ocassion when you need it (and ive seen your cooler netting dance which might mean every trip) will pay off ,,,,,,,also to everyone show your crew where all safty equiptment is and brief instructions how to use the radio,even how to read GPS cord. cause you might be the one in the water hollering " I PUT IT UH UH UNDER THE TACKEBOX UNDER THE POLES UNDER TO COOLER ON THE SEAT NO NO UNDER THE SEAT glub glub"" no clue to what "brand" but it must say "Coast Guard Approved" PS: flares have exp. date check em every year as with all safty equipt. that 10 year old fire extuisher "on red" ant gonna do much good if you ever need it i carry 2 on board ..another Important item to show the crew and brief how to point at BASE OF FLAMES ...... I RECOMEND OFTEN HERE EVERYONE SHOULD TAKE A ''''''''POWERBOATING SQUADRON COURSE'''''''' they are cheep and one step below a captians course in boating safty,charting,navagation,RULES OF THE ROAD(or water) ,roap knots ,DOCKING (without saying prepare to ram bob)...and a whole lot of common sence stuff ...and they help the winter pass a little quicker and ya meet some great folks who share the passion of safe boating........even WAFI's will be there.

opps POWERSQUADRON BOATING COURSE

I went with the belt type inflatable from Bass Pro. It is a manual inflate meaning I need to pull the cord before the belt will inflate. I'm still thinking about getting the suspender type inflatable PFD that automatically inflates.

I leave the flares in the package by my seat. I do cut the package open in the event that I need to use them.

All good accurate info above.

The cushion type throwables are Coastguard exceptable and cover the law if they are not damaged. A ring in a smaller boat takes up space. The law requires these devices are EASILY accessible. Can't be in a storage locker.

The inflatable pdfs are a bit pricey but very comfortable. If you go with the automatic inflatable it does require some maintanence as you have to keep the triggering system

current, every couple years on mine. But should you go overboard and are unable to pull the cord for any reason they will inflate automatically when you hit the water. This might be a good idea if you fish alone at all.

As already stated the flares have an exp. dates on them and MUST be current. Probably the best way to store them is in the original package, unopened.

Glen

I picked up the manuel inflatable belt from Bass Pro after I gave the suspender type inflatable PFD that automatically inflates a try. One thing to remember is that they do NOT count it they are not being worn when you are checked per the water DEC on Lake George........ I give my local fire department a donation and they give me flares.............. I like the belt and wore it most of the time last year fishing alone or with someone on the boat.

If you use the flare gun, a lot of people don't no that if you have it on your boat and fish in Canada it is considered a firearm and will be given a big fine .

I just went through an inspection at the ramp. (Calif.) The life of the flares is 24 mo. which I didn't know. I have a gun box kit) I have a few more months before replacement. You can keep the outdated flares on board but they must be kept separate from the gun and the new flares. I was written up on the inspection for my horn not working (not ticketed). Horn worked fine when I got home. Go figure? Check all your running lights. If you use a trailer, check the lights on it too!

This nice guy had a check list and he went through everything including windshield wipers.

There is no reason for anyone to **** about an inspection. It can save the lives of your friends and yourself. I know my wife would be very upset with me if I didn't come home and give her the daily ration of crap. :D

Andy, As you know I have both the belt type and the vest. I bought the belts at Cabelas and the vests at Bass Pro. The auto was a nice sales pitch but the belt type is less cumbersome. The down side of the vests are for some reason they activate on their own after a period of time. That and $25.00 to replace the cartridge makes me lean towards the belts. Third man in the boat has toi wear the vest!

As far as the belt type inflatables go Cabelas sells the "Guardian" belt type @ $79 a pop, Bass Pro carries the "Stearns" @ $59 apiece. Anybody got anything to say about the difference (besides the $20)?

Do some research on this Chowder. Some are designed to keep your head above water should you lose conciousness or hit your head going over and get knocked out or injured and some aren't. All depends on what you are looking for but there are a variety of different applications for each type and I don't remember the specifics off hand. Stearns is a pretty good name with a good reputation.

I believe I went to the Stearns websight to read about all that stuff when I bought mine.

Glen

i have a question on the flares. a few years ago i was stopped on the lake (FAIRHAVEN)by a N.Y. warden and was told my Flaregun was ok by the COAST GAURD standard but NEW YORK rules supersede and that i need hand held flares, is this a fact or was he wrong?

about 3 years ago i was inspected and was told handheld was the mandatory in ny ....?????????????? maybe they changed ??also at my Power squadron class 3 or 4 yrs ago also handheld was the rule...""Visual Distress Signal

One orange distress flag and one electric distress light, or three hand-held or floating orange smoke signals and one electric distress light, or three combination (day/night) red flares: hand-held, meteor or parachute type."" from the coast guard site for 16 to 26 ft boats

A word on the self-inflatable belts and vests. They will inflate if they get a good soaking. I fish from a kayak frequently and that means getting a face full of water once in a while. Its a real PIA to have your PFD blow up on you from splash or just a good rain. I switched mine over to manual. However, when I am alone, I wear a regular PFD.

Paul