Blue Pike - Genetic Defect? See picture

My brother (Todd) and his friend (Zach) went out to try their luck pike fishing out of Braddocks this weekend. They had some success but one fish they caught was really strange. It was something I never seen before, nor my father or uncle. It was a pike that was VERY BLUE in color. The eyes were blue, all the fins were blue, even the mouth itself was blue! The body of the fish also had a blue tint.

My brother was releasing all fish caught this day so he took a quick photo of just the mouth of the fish before releasing it back. I wish he would have got more pictures of the body, eyes, fins, etc.

blue_pike.jpg

Has anyone else ever seen something like this? I talked a little with Rob (Legacy) and he said it is a very rare genetic defect. Just wondering if anyone knew anything else about this and/or if anyone else has ever caught a pike like that.

Thanks!

That was also my first thought Bob when my brother called me on the phone. The fish was definitely a pike however - not a walleye body. At that point I knew it wasn't a Blue Walleye despite that being my first thought as well.

Through the years I've taken my share of yellow perch with the same "inside of mouth" and "throughout the gill" coloration

I've chased perch on dozens of inland lakes and various lake oriented inlets and the only area I ever took these blueish fish were in Henderson Harbor where I was told fish remains were dumped from lake fish (Salmonoids)

Just a thought maybe this fish was eating fish remains, if in fact it is true, that is why the perch I use to catch were colored up

Tom

I have never seen a blue northern pike, but i have seen and photographed a Blue walleyed pike.I was fishing on the upper oak orchard river ,in november ,about 12 or 15 years ago,with my buddy, the late, incredibly talented fly tier,and master trib fisherman ,Mark Stouthard. We were catching browns and steelies, when Mark pulls in this pale greyish blue walleye !!!! He called it THE BLUE PIKE !!! We took some pictures and released it .Mark sent some pictures to the DEC ,but nothing was confirmed about it being a true blue pike.None had been documented in the great lakes for decades.They weren't sure what to call it,but i can tell you,it was truly grey/blue, no hint of gold on it anywhere. I will never forget that day, that fish, or that fisherman,Mark Stouthard. choo-choo steve (btw,yes, that is the same Mark S that used to write articles for lake ontario outdoors)

Would love to know more Rapala Boy. Your the second person that I have heard from stating it is a rare gene in pike.... thanks for shedding more light on this mystery fish.

"SILVER PIKE. A mutant form of northern pike, the silver pike occurs throughout the pikes native range. The sides vary from bright silver to metallic blue or green and have no markings except silver or gold flecks on the scales." - From the handy dandy Northern Pike and Muskie book.

"SILVER PIKE. A mutant form of northern pike, the silver pike occurs throughout the pikes native range. The sides vary from bright silver to metallic blue or green and have no markings except silver or gold flecks on the scales." - From the handy dandy Northern Pike and Muskie book.

not to be confused with a fish sometimes referred to as a "galvanized pike" seen below :rofl::rofl::rofl:

freshwater_drum.jpg

Tim

• 4 years later...