fishing equipment stolen

I received a call yesterday from my parents (where I store my boat for the winter), that someone had broken into my boat and stole my equipment. They were notified by a lady who came to their house and wanted to let them no kids had taken stuff out of the boat but wanted to make she they knew her daughter was not part of it. To make a long story short, it was six 8-12yr olds who did it, in which live in the neighborhood. I got 90% of my stuff back. They took 7 tackle boxes, 2 tool boxes, 500 lures, 50 flies, 7 rods with reels, and everything that was not bolted down. The little crack kids even stole cannon balls, flares, dock lines, paper towels, baggies ect like I said if it was not bolted they took it. The cop was ok in dealing with this as he went to all 6 families homes and brought back equiptment from each home. These kids are from crack head, alcoholic, welfare families and the cop said you knew that there will be no restitution right. Which I knew that fact, when the mothers that I saw had 3 teeth combined. I informed the cop that I was charges pressed and he told me to itemize a list of the stuff missing and he would decide to either go into family court or youth court. Working in the court system in the past I knew that meant it depends on the value of the stuff still missing. <1000 basically really no charges and community service. I explained to the officer, I am a charter captain and this is not a bobber and worm typ fishing and the pile they brought back was almost $15,000.

The cop called me back last night and wanted the pitures of the stuff stolen and the damage they did to the boat (forgot to mention that they kicked in a side door and busted a seat). They are pressing grand larcency charges.

I spent 4 hours looking through the woods for my equipment. Found some of it, flare gun (shot twice) filet knife, and some spare parts.

The feeling I got was that the police did not want to press charges because they are crack head alcoholic welfare families and really nothing would be done. I was pissed about that, specifically when one of the mothers told the officer that he son steals anything and comes home with a new bike all the time.

when they get older....not by much if they get caught by the guy with the means to put an end to it right there...they will pay dearly one day if they don't change their ways. stupid people should not breed.

Unfortunately, they are EXACTLY the ones that breed by the dozen. If you've never seen the movie Idiocracy, check it out, it's not as far fetched as one might hope, and that fact alone is plenty scary.

Tim

Do you think it would be worth running your own community service for them and not pressing charges. Make them do things around the house for your mom. leaves, mowing etc.... I guess the only problem with it is that the parents would have to back you and thats out the door. Could be worth a shot

Maybe you could then turn some of these kids into solid young adults and give them a role model instead of them looking at their looser parents as role models, which they are not!

Maybe even could get some of them fishing and again having a positive role model. "Kids that grew up hunting and fishing don't rob old ladies when they are old".... read that somewhere

God i am a sucker :o

Do you think it would be worth running your own community service for them and not pressing charges. Make them do things around the house for your mom. leaves, mowing etc.... I guess the only problem with it is that the parents would have to back you and thats out the door. Could be worth a shot

Maybe you could then turn some of these kids into solid young adults and give them a role model instead of them looking at their looser parents as role models, which they are not!

Maybe even could get some of them fishing and again having a positive role model. "Kids that grew up hunting and fishing don't rob old ladies when they are old".... read that somewhere

Even better, Scrubbing the scum off the bottom of the boats that belong to the members of this site! I would be up for that but would have to take all the gear off my boat so it did not come up missing! :D

In Ohio, where I live, Parents can be held liable for the crimes of their children up to $5,000. Of course, there's the blood from a stone problem.

I don't know if New York has the same law on the books. You could make the parent's lives difficult even if they can't pay. Garnishing nothing is still nothing, but if they work you can take a cut after a judgement.

Even better, Scrubbing the scum off the bottom of the boats that belong to the members of this site! I would be up for that but would have to take all the gear off my boat so it did not come up missing! :D

:yes:

Breeding ourselves into stupidity. Cut the stones off of them all. Sick and tired of carrying the burden of losers! :@ Nobel idea of creating role models for these youngsters but I wouldnt trust them around my house or family. You cant paint over rust and unfortunately most will become a product of their environment. Heres goes a can of worms........ Obama is making it easier and easier for them. We reward for failure in this country. :@

You should steal their bikes :) I am kidding and sorry for your loss. A kid under 15 whose parents don't have anything are above the law. I had a problem years back with a kid messing with my truck's fuel tank. after the 3 phone calls to the police I became the problem, not the kid.

You should get in touch with Cremer. He lives in Horseheads and he has a very mean looking dog.

As for making them work.Not a good idea. Not only would you have to do everything they do all over again,you would also have to repair the damage they cause while working and worst of all, they would stake out your property and come back later to take whatever they fancy.

We got some of those "hills have eyes" (another winner, must see, movie) people around near our farm. We never seem to come up missing anything, but we do sometimes get some stuff. Every so often they get thrown out of their migrant shack of a rental because they spend all their welfare on cigarettes and cell phones and even a big screen TV. I have to admit they are also hard workers, only when it comes to under the table money, they know how to work the system. I always know when they get tossed from the rental cause we end up with all their cats around the farm. They mysteriously appear around the farm every time they are back to living in a box.

after speaking with the officer, nothing much will happen. I did have one parent that has stepped up and is extremely pissed off at his kid and what happened. He left a message that he whats to pay for the damage and the $1600 worth of missing items. I personally do not think that it is right for just one person who actually cares and probably cant afford the $1600 restitution to be held solely liable as there was 6 kids involved. He said that he wants to pay restitution and make his kid work off the value for me. I do not think that is a good idea either as that would give these kids and inside look of other stuff in the garage and house.

As far as the restitution that will never be fully recovered as the rest of the family's are on welfare and do not care about anything other than their beer and drugs.

As far as stealing their bikes, I don't think their bikes are theres as they have stolen them from someone else. One mother said about her 8yr old that he comes home with a different bike almost every day.

Probably what will happen will be that these kids will be placed on probation. atleast that their parents will be looked at while they are on probation. spoke to the officer and he said they have been involved with these kids before and that no one has pressed charges cus of their are. I told him that I am pressing charges as it will create a trail for when they get older and continue their stealiing.

Most of these kids do not have a chance in life. I was a drill instructor for many years in the school system (until they got rid of that program). Kids are a product of their enviroment. The enviroment at home will not change because of this and they will continue to do the samething. 2 of the kids helpped me find some of my stuff in the trees, holes, and brush plies where they hid it. I could tell they had no clue as to what they did or the fact that it was wrong. They were exciteds everything they found a rapala hanging on tree branches. Atleast they never found my electronics.

This is exactly why I will never live in a town/city/hamlet/ect.

Whats that new country song say? Something about the Lord and a gun, and you might meet them both if you show up unwelcome.....And trust me where I live its the truth. Had my house robbed by some out of towners a few years back, the sheriff offered to accidentally leave him alone in my pole barn for a half hour. :yes:

on the cops end, a lot of time,documentation,and possibly a court appearence for a judge in family court to dismiss the whole case.having them work it off would be great but you need the parents to enforce that and that is un-likely.i think my dad was burning firewood in the 90's from a halloween prank that got carried away in the seventies by my brother and several of our friends.4 dad's dropped the trees and seven kids cut em with a bucksaw, split and stacked 'em and hauled the whole lot home .never did that again.there was some corperal punishment in there as well which i survived without counseling.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not heard anything on the court or law enforcement end however, I did get a call from my father and he told me the little Fu@##$ struck again. This time the broke into a garage and stole a bunch of tools and power equipment. Love the justice system on the poor, oh wait it they are welfare who cares what they do to their neighbors.

At some point they will have to hold the parents accountable. Maybe seeing they can not care for their children then maybe they should not have them.