Would you shoot a white deer?

Tall Tails

Yesterday while hunting I had an opportunity to harvest an Albino doe. Her nose was pink and I couldnt get an exact look at her eyes but she was totally white. I was texting a few friends about this deer after I saw her the first time and they were all telling me not to shoot as it is considered bad luck.. Well she returned later in the morning and well I decided to try and take her however my loader decided to have wet powder instead...

Now it has started a debate with my friends and myself as to "if I should have tried to harvest this animal or just enjoyed the moment". I am interested in hearing opinions on this issue.

Thanks,

Brian

I agree will Billy... and after its on the wall you can tell your non hunting friends its a goat you shot while hunting in South America :rofl::rofl: Seriously I would not have taken it, primarily because of the bad luck issue. Its like bringing bananas on your boat :o Take a picture next time, or have Mar shoot it... even better :yes:

,I would of taken it unless their was a 12 pt on her tail,,I suppose it would be like takin a bear,something I always wanted and have a beautiful rug(wallhanging),but id be hard pressed to shoot another..But with that said every situation has its moments,it might of been a oncein a life time sighting a camera would of been cool to have specially with no snow..Bottom line someone or thing will claim it might as well be you,one (more spotted) was brought in to my meat cutter this year the guy was gonna have the hide tanned.

Your call as you know and as for bad luck well watch out for black cats,cracks in sidewalks,walkin under a ladder,pickin up a penny tail side up,,as for banannas ,unless your bringing a shipment from south america i wouldnt bank on that one either..

I've never seen a true white deer but I passed on a pie bald doe the last day of muzzy about 5 years ago. I'd heard a couple of people in the general store a few days before calling her "Pie Crust". I didn't see the point in killing the thing and no way I was gonna be known as 'the guy who shot Pie Crust'. I've seen 2 mature pie balds and they were kind of dinky looking. -Andy

You should have dropped it! A deers a deer, meat in the freezer plus a sick mount

I'm not trying to start something here but, at least for me, after you've killed a hundred or so deer a little killing starts to go a long way. Maybe it's just me getting older but it seems to me that even though I do kill a lot of deer and other game animals, the meting out of death is an act to take seriously, because it's final and profound and it makes the meat something more than just food. Any time there seems to be a good reason to pass or not to pass on a deer I do so with no regrets. -Andy

If you were going to harvest the animal with respect and utilize the meat given to you, the fact that it is albino is a bonus. Animals like that are likely to get jacked by some A$$ and left to rot after they have what they want. I was after a 3/4 piebald doe last year that I assume was jacked on a road where there is a tone of poaching in the southern tier.