Still undecided about wind turbines? Watch this.

Billy V

Quite an eye opening piece. All in the name of someone's bottom line. The go green effort is troubling in the fact that is takes more to get there than it was before the start. At what cost to the benefit of what? Evidence in what ethanol production really costs as well as running these 50 story monsters.

Question......

If wind power is so great... Why does it need government subsidies, tax incentives and other programs to develop and maintain them????

I was just talking to a Lake Ontario boater this weekend, who didn't understand the opposition to these offshore wind farms. I started his lesson in posing that same question to him. He had no idea that the government, state and federal, gives the development companies tax payer money in order to build, and maintain these things. He didn't even know how they worked. He assumed they were like a backyard turbine, producing DC current to charge a bank of batteries and then it gets converted to AC power and put to the grid. I informed him that they put AC current directly to the grid, and if they can't produce power at 60 Hz, even when the wind blows, they shut themselves down. He didn't even know about the discussion of an exclusion zone, or even the manufacturer suggested safety zone.

Needless to say, by the end of the 20 minute conversation he clearly understood the opposition to them. The thing about this gentleman that bothered me, he has been sitting next to me in my captain's license prep class. Just a good example of how uneducated most people are on this so called green movement.

Chris

Noise argument is legit. So lets put them away from houses. Where could THAT be gentelman.

They use fossil fuels to produce,transport ,erect,& backup? Everthing does,kind of weak.

Bird argument is legit. But fish die in hydro. Look at the BP Gulf situation. That's progress & the chance you take when you need energy. Accidents happen,human or mechanical.

The looks don't bother me much.Rather not see them ,but I like my power tools.

Saw a solar field down in FLA by the SW FLA airport in FT. Myers last week .Couple acres or so. Might be a way out. But Sun dosn't shine much up here some days. What's the output on solar panels ?

I like the idea of a few somewhere as an experimental trial & when all bugs are out ,see what happens. Not ready yet for full scale production & deployment. Haste makes waste ,or full political pockets.

It's a money grab flat out. Put a few bucks in front of some & their decision making gets clouded.Sounds from the clip that a few crapped in their mess kit. I'm totaly against . If it don't fly by itself,scrap it. Nuke might be best scenario.

You guys pro nuke yet???

I'd be very fine if Nine Mile added another tower. Much rather see that than an endless view of pinwheels. I heard there were talks of them building another tower. :yes:

I just don't understand how so many so-called leaders of the world can have their heads in the sand with this. It must be good for votes with the uninformed. Big subsidies - big kickbacks?

Why the £250bn wind power industry could be the greatest scam of our age - and here are the three 'lies' that prove it

The first is the pretence that turbines are anything other than ludicrously inefficient.

The most glaring dishonesty peddled by the wind industry — and echoed by gullible politicians — is vastly to exaggerate the output of turbines by deliberately talking about them only in terms of their 'capacity', as if this was what they actually produce. Rather, it is the total amount of power they have the capability of producing.

The second great lie about wind power is the pretence that it is not a preposterously expensive way to produce electricity. No one would dream of building wind turbines unless they were guaranteed a huge government subsidy.

The third great lie of the wind propagandists is that this industry is somehow making a vital contribution to 'saving the planet' by cutting our emissions of CO2.

Even if you believe that curbing our use of fossil fuels could change the Earth's climate, the CO2 reduction achieved by wind turbines is so insignificant that one large windfarm saves considerably less in a year than is given off over the same period by a single jumbo jet flying daily between Britain and America.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1FMMlR1Xy

Any of you guys ever been to wolf island? There are hundreds of them on a tiny island. Looks like crap. I cant believe the people that live there agreed to it. Noisy too. If they worked maybe its a different story, but we all know better.

RR

We need to see the turbines that exploded and threw parts for hundreds of feet, the ice that was tossed off the blades that traveled over 2000 feet. Lets not forget all 200+ gallons of oil that is spewed everywhere. Thats what we need. NOT!!!!!