Juvenile Landlocks

What's amazing to me about this post is that you have several guides more worried about themselves then sportsmen in general. How many fish do the guides and their clients keep over the course of a year? If the state stipulates that 18 inch LLs are legal than so be it. What right does anyone have on this forum telling someone else how to fish so long as the person is abiding by the rules and regulations?

In addition I find it humorous that someone from out of state would actually admit they keep fish solely to give it away to friends, neighbors etc.

Islamorada King, you obviously don't know these guys very well. I see you only posted 1 post and joined today. So I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that your not some one from this site trying to hide your normal screen name or trying to cause trouble. Every one of these guys who comented on this post including Chowder who started this post gives info, tips, strategies and reports all year long to new and experienced fisherman a like. They are well respected for what they post.

The point to this post is to protect the Juvenile salmon. Guys who troll run into small salmon by the dozens that are not legal to keep. Being aware of this we are asking guys if they run into this move deeper or to another spot and fish for more quality areas. They are very vulnerable and the mortality rate is very high when they are caught. We all are here to educate others and do our part in conservation. With todays budget cuts it is just that more important to be aware of this. Next year they may not stock landlock salmon and from what I understand the salmon population is almost completely dependent on stocking.

Boy oh boy Ed, I think youre from Pa and you keep fish? HMM, naaahh. :lol:

Dont worry, with the rising fuel costs ill be sure to be on the lake, waiting to tow people in!! haha. :rofl: Boat goes in the water thursday guys. Anyone want in on a shake down saturday so we can show a "REPORT".. :P

I have enjoyed reading this thread. Had to laugh at the first poster!

I'd never fault anybody for keeping a few for the grill. I'm certainly thankfull for the guides that post here and have learned a lot from them.

I think the main issue with the landlocks is that those juvi's can be an easy way to boost the daily take for the sake of bragging rights. I'm as competitive as the next guy but agree that a few less numbers today can mean better fishing tomorrow.

My experience on Cayuga (mid-summer) has been that the juvi's come on the sliders and shallow lines. It's pretty easy to adjust those lines. If they come on the deep lines then sliding out is obviously the thing to do.

Thanks to all who have posted.

I guess I must be the guide in question :D If you eat the fish you catch keep all you want. I have no problem with that. Chowder was just trying to protect a fish when it was most vulnerable. If you hook a few short salmon so be it, but if you're going to go out and catch 40 to 50 12inch salmon for the fun of it you got problems. Myself and others have always been free with the info on the forum if you have a question it will get answered. Thats what the Forum is about and what makes it great :yes: . We got one heck of a good group of guys that fish the Fingers and we are all lucky to have a great place to fish. Im not going to let my blood pressure go up over someone's jabs in a post. I deal with that crap at work every day. Keep it fun if not why bother pulling the boat out. Sean

Rshubuck,

I appreciate your concern about being a new poster here which I am only because I never felt compelled to respond to a post before. Generally, the banter is good with some good tips and suggestions about lures but for me, personally, figuring out what fish are biting on is half the fun.

I am sure you are right about these guys (guides) being decent guys but I guess I find it a bit hypocritical is all since trolling in general has a high mortality rate on all species of fish especially during the summer months when people fish the thermocline and take fish in much deeper water. I just didn't agree with the pontificating some were doing as to how to fish especially since guides and their customers probably account for the most fish take on the finger lakes. There's a huge difference between keeping a few for the grill and keeping 6-12 fish per outing.

Most of the clients I have don't take fish home. So if we have a few we can't let go I have guys that are more than grateful to take them off my hands. The majority of folks I take are in town to visit the wineries or stay at a nice place on the lake. They don't have the means to take fish home or keep it cold for a week. But I could see were you would think we are keeping more, the few guys I do get that keep fish those are the pics you see of the big pile of fish. I guarantee a lot more fish are killed by rec fisherman than guides just do to the fact, the fingers do not have that many guides. Sean

I guess you guys must have guilty consciences because I wasn't thinking of either of you when I wrote my post but so be it. As I said before trolling in general creates high mortality rates for fish.

While I certainly agree that conservation is a good thing I sometimes have to question what the motive is behind it.

The legal limits are are in place to protect the fishery and stocking numbers are adjusted accordingly.

A fishermen keeping his LEGAL limit of fish is doing nothing wrong. Period.

Charters or Rec's.

If somebody wants to support the fishery by purchasing a license, fishing tackle and all the other money they bring to the local economy associated with fishing, wants to keep their legal limit of fish then good for them.

Get out of yourself and double check your motives before you make a statement like that.

This post was started to bring awareness to protect the illegal fish that are next years and future years LEGAL fish.

Like to add as long as these fish are put to use and NOT wasted.

Welcome to the board.

Glen

I guess you guys must have guilty consciences because I wasn't thinking of either of you when I wrote my post but so be it. As I said before trolling in general creates high mortality rates for fish.

While I certainly agree that conservation is a good thing I sometimes have to question what the motive is behind it.

Looky here King, I started this post because juvenile LLs are being targeted largely by inexperienced, non trollers, who see a 15" fish and it looks big to them. The people you are pointing your finger at are the last guys that need to be looked at! If you have a problem with charter captains in particular and or trolling in general, I would respectfully suggest that this is probably not the best forum for your interests. -Andy

King...I spend 5 1/2 months every year at my place near Cayuga and also feel like I add to the state and local economy by purchasing a $70.00 license every year.( that is just a start ).spending a hell of a lot more there than I do here at home for the other 6 1/2 months..Guess what..almost every dollar I spend in New York has to do with fishing and keeping that old Trophy floating for one more year..The boat was purchased in New York ( taxes paid ).trailer registration every year ,,,boat reg.. every three years..and a LOT of gas every year..( a local boat mechanic welcomes the many dollars I spend on the old boat )...When we ( my son and I ) fish ...we are out there because of the shear love of this type of fishing... The ONLY fish we keep are ones that are injured..If they are small LLs ..we move out to deeper water or to another ( favorite honey hole ) spot.............The biggest lake trout I ever caught was in front of the Scout camp north of T-Point ( pictures ) and we both said " wow...next year he will be bigger " and watched him head for the bottom..If you want to see greed from pro guide charter boats ...take a ride to Lake George and try catch even ONE quality fish....Aint gonna happen ..even though that lake is one of the cleanest I've ever fished...Years ago it was a hell of a fishery but not anymore..BECAUSE EVERY FISH GOES IN THE BOX.... :no::no::no: ...This thread was started because of a concern of these fish ( that don't reproduce) not being allowed to mature...Most of us share that concern ( motive as you put it )and do our very best to let them grow :yes::yes:8)

Mortality comes with all kinds of fishing. Your better off complaining about the guys in the creeks ripping bows and browns in their stomachs, just to get a photo....

Were all on the water to have fun and catch fish. If you prefer to go out and wash lures with no hooks so be it, at least you can say you didn't harm any fish!! but your lines were tight! So keep it that way.

Warm weathers here. Lets FISH!!

Nick

This did start as an informative topic, and i don't think anyone should be offend by what chowder said. Basically he and others told everyone how to catch bigger fish when you run into the dinks. Also he informed you of the nys laws on cayuga. I have seen many fish and game laws violated on many different sites, if people don't know they should be informed even though it is everyones own responsibility to know the laws where they hunt/fish/trap. Heres where I stand on everything. This site will shorten your learning curve(as it has mine) and give you a lot of knowledge on how to catch these great fingerlakes fish. The wisdom of the people sharing this knowledge needs to be respected. We have a great fishery in our back yards. This site is full of great fishermen who want to see more people enjoying the sport, and thats why they post here. I try to help anyone i can to have a good time fishing, because fishing should be fun. But as much as the people want to see others having fun and catching fish they also see the need to preserve what we have. Take some fish home for dinner, have a great time on the water, and share it with someone else. Also know the laws, respect the fisheries, and save some for the next guy to troll by. Don't forget that once you get good at this game, fish that we throw back could be some one elses fish of a lifetime.

Ben