Surface Temp: 70

LAT/LONG (GPS Cords):

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Great morning for a quick run for some derby fishing. set up in 140 found good temps down 40-80 picked up a nice screamer down 42 with a s/d hammer fly combo. Lost in fight. The rest were scattered 42-85 down most came on blue/green flys 2 on spoons. 11 lb brown off the lead core out 10 colors with a mag glow/alewife. Nothing big all in the teens or so. Nothing for the derby but enjoyed the morning. morning bites have been hot. sorry no pic's. We would however....like to give a shout out to the fine men of our border patrol who so kindly cruised out from shore full bore straight for us. who did not slow as they approached.........crossed 100 feet from the bow at a slighly slower pace......stared us down turned and passed the port side about 50 feet away and took off. They were so close I could read their GPS. Guys....great job..WTF. Thanks for the wake.

good fishing report ! and for the border patrol guys i think ya got lucky i remeber guys on her last year having them pull right up on them with lines out last year, seems like they just checked ya out and moved on to the next poor fisherman !

....and this is our hard earned taxes put to good work - not. ;(

Putting aside my respect to the folks who uphold the law of the land and the sea, this is just plain frigging outrageous. I cant imagine any charter captains who would keep quiet for the fear of their business being interruppted by happy go lucky patrol boats. This is just plain disgusting.

What is wrong with them coming and checking? Did they screw up your spread? I know you said the left you a nice wake but was it that bad? I'm really just curious. Its kinda part of the border patrols job isn't it?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

What is wrong with them coming and checking? Did they screw up your spread? I know you said the left you a nice wake but was it that bad? I'm really just curious. Its kinda part of the border patrols job isn't it?

Exactly!! if they weren't around and u had an emergency, guys would complain there never around. :no:

Seeing them sleeping in the sandy creek public launch overflow lot at 5am is what urks me about them. They could have been considerate and glassed at 10x the distance without getting in his face.

They have an important job to do. Only you knew what you were doing there. They spotted a contact, investigated, classified you as no threat and left you alone. Seems unobtrusive to the fishing. Wake on Lake Ontario? Seems a regualar occurance and no worse than the waves we fish in. Binos are a poor substitute for eyeballs. Binos are hard to stabalize on the water unless you have very expensive gyro-stabalized glasses.

I am glad to see law enforcement out doing their job. However the mear fact that they had to get that close and show their authority was not needed. I know they have some pretty nice binoculars on board better than the ones i have. checking us out no problem. Do it from a safe distance. There was no need to get that dangerously close. I also monitor ch16 call me let me know you want to approach and I can adjust.

They're just out looking for Canadian registry, checking to see if they cleared customs before they started fishing in US waters. $1000 and you can keep your boat and enjoy the rest of the day fishing......oh and smile. :razz:

Nice report Scottsman :yes:

I am sure they approached you fast on purpose. Should they wait til people put the drugs bombs or illegal immigrants away then approach slow? These guys spend more time in the boat then any of us dream of so I'm sure they can handle it. They are trained to see how you act and there is no substitute for human eye contact. They didn't stop you, make you pull spread or anything which they could have. A little wake is a small price to pay to improve the security of my country. Also they went to your bow side as I'm sure they realized you had lines out and they were being considerate

Mike, you gave me something to think about and I can certainly side with you from this angle of view however from reading Scotsman's post, it felt as if his boat were rubbed in the wrong way when the patrol boat came so close to him. You re right it could be worse than that. Like I shared this quote earlier, "Freedom is not free!".

You guys are kiddeing me right? I'm sure he looked REAL suspicious moving at a suprisingly fast clip of 2.2mph with fishing rods all over the back of his boat! :talk: I'm sure those border patrol guys could have raced out to him then shut down to a crawl and circle him if they wanted too. I would have been pissed if I had a charter and they got thrown around in the boat due to a very close lake swirly. :@

You can not be on plane within 200' of shore or another boat correct? They could have slowed down after speeding up and communicated with the boat. No excuse for running around the boat on plane. I understand they are doing there jobs but there is the right and wrong ways to do things.

Gambler im pretty sure those rules dont apply to federal agents LOL Just like how cops can still talk on cell phones. :rofl: If I were a smuggler, and I know that a good strategy might be to look like a fisherman, wouldnt I try it? Yes they may have been going 2.2 but what do you think smugglers would fly pirate flags and buzz around at 70 mph. geeeesh

<<" pirate flags and buzz around at 70 mph.">>>

CRIPES....guess I'll have to rethink getting that 32 fountain center console with the quad 300 mercs......might look suspicious trolling at 2.2 mph...ohhhh wait....I wasn't thinking, I just woke up.....hey but I do have the jolly roger flag flying ...oops, probably an alternative plan, it was a gift from the g/f.

I've been reading for a little over a year trying to learn how to fish this lake, and thought i might add my thoughts...ahhmmm(clearing throat, i hate public speaking)

Ok guys I see everyones point of view, I'm not a charter captain, but i have a fishing boat out on the big water and I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I know for a fact that they have changed their operations from several years ago, now they don't stop the charter boats, just cruise by, do a visual and proceeed on. I'm sure they can go back to their old ways and stop every charter boat, board them do a complete thourough customs inspection. I know we would all enjoy that! Isnt it easier to deal with a wake from 100 feet or so, let them do their evaluation and move on and get it over with, and go back to your fishing? If they pass you at 1/4 mile your going to get the same wake!! The alternative is them approaching the boat doing some circles, calling you and telling you to stop dead in the water, bring in all your lines and stand by to be boarded.

So look at it from their point of view, a "badguy" boat isnt going to announce himself. He is going to try and blend in with everyone else. He is going to try and get as close as he can to shore and drop of whatever he is bringing and then return accross the water. I don't know but it seems a like a hard enough job already without us making it harder on them. Ya, they are on a boat all year having "fun" in the sun, however remember the days we won't go out they still have to launch and do their patrol, wind, rain, snow...i've seen them out all winter. I dont envy them their job, as someone said earlier, and im paraphrasing....Damn them for being here.....or Damn, where are those guys, probably sleeping goofing off when you need them!!!

The question about the wake is answered in the CFR's and NYS Law. 150' from shore or dock, and you are responsible for any damage your wake causes.

I spoke to one of these guys at sandy creek launch, he said they are different from the border patrol, he said they are called cbp air and marine agents?

I'll step down from my soap box. just my opinion, take it for what its worth. :o

12 miles offshore, trolling with a full compliment of gear out, a very natural looking fishing boat, far from view to many.

Along comes a fast boat and pulls right up to your side and they brandish weapons to force you out of your boat or worse so they can comandeer it and continue on their intended operation of destruction and mayhem. Unload whatever nasty things of attack into your fishing boat and then go blend in.... Pirates so to speak.

That's what could happen so don't expect the law to not check your boat out in the US waters.

Now how do you protect yourself and your boat and possibly crew from this? Would you carry a firearm of course legally, and stored safely in a hold somewhere on board?

Would you be risking an arrest for the possesion of a defensive weapon? What would some say about that?

Just wondering, maybe Pete or Matt could weigh in on this ...again just a for instance and how would this look to law enforcement on the open water.

Mark

as long as you have a permit, and advise the law when they arrive and dont reach for the gun to show them, just tell them its on board, I dont see it being a problem if its within the law. Nothing says you cant have a shotgun on board, or a pistol with a NY pistol permit

Just do a search of my post from last year. They actually did get in my lines. The way they approached my boat was 100% inappropriate. I like the comment by one person that said they approached, identified that you were not a threat and left. if it was only that easy to identify a non threat......