Check your belts!!!!!!!

Well, the title says it all. The perfect recipe for disaster.

Fishing out of the Oak in saturday about 5-6 miles west of port in 160 fow, tied up with a triple and two of the were matures. Way west was the massive storm approaching. I told the crew once these fish were landed we're heading in until it passes. We landed the steelhead while battling the matures not want to come it. Got the first one to the boat and the motor started to chug like it was out of fuel and stalled. Quickly netting the first king and went to start the motor. No power, both batteries were dead and no way to bring the down riggers up or call for help via radio. I called another captain to see if he was close but he was 12 miles away, strapped to a mature, and backing down while taking waves over the stern just to avoid the storm.

I look off my stern and noticed Robert. Mind you I met Robert Friday afternoon at captains cove and we talked about fishing for about an hour or so. He asked for my number and if minded if he called of he needed help finding fish. I gave my number and said anytime. So I gave him a call and asked for a tow. Without a second thought he pulled his rods and was along side in less than 2 minutes.

We connected the jumper cables and pulled the riggers. He towed me in using his 21 ft wide open boat. It started to rain and thunder and lightening. About 1/2 from port the front made to us. Absolute down pour, heavy thunder And lighting and winds well over 40 mph. We made it back to the dock safe and sound. I felt so bad for Robert as he was in the wide open during the storm with only a hoody to prockect himself. I offered him money, dinner or any thing in which he refused all my offers and said was happy that he could help.

I pulled the engine cover and there was a broken alternator belt. I changed my belts in the beginning of the year however I must of gotten a bad one. Put on a new belt and new battery and was able to return to fishing in a short couple of hours.

Needless to say I am very thankful to Robert and be rest assured he will be having a surprise lure package in his room the next time he stays at the captain cove motel. Can't say thank you enough.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

It definitely was and it's great to have friends out there with ya. In fact the other captain called me just as the worst part hit to make i was safe. If I was still floating out there I know in a second he would have been there to assist as I would do the same for anyone else.

I spent 8 years in the coast guard and know crap happens quick on the lake and the dangers that come along with it. But never would have thought a new belt with 70 hours on it would break as a major storm is fastly approaching and being that far away form the dock.

Were all are own little "Band of Brothers" out there. Glad to here of your safe return to port. Robert this one on me ...... :beer::yes:

P.S most everyone I talked to on Sat. was hooked up as the storm came in...... last minute feeding then to the bottom ????

Haha, anytime Tim, but the name is John, not Robert!LOL Must have punched my name in your phone wrong, buddy! I was just glad to get you and your clients back safe, and we dodged the lightening, my friend! My skin is waterproof anyways. LOL!! Yay!! :yes::yes::yes:

Haha, anytime Tim, but the name is John, not Robert!LOL Must have punched my name in your phone wrong, buddy! I was just glad to get you and your clients back safe, and we dodged the lightening, my friend! My skin is waterproof anyways. LOL!! Yay!! :yes::yes::yes:

WELLDONE!!!!!!!! :yes::yes:

I will publicly apologize for getting wrong JOHN. Yep fell like a bigger a$$ bag when I didn't get your name right...You would think after the guy saves your life you would at least get his name right.

Like posted above you are a class act and I am very glad we met and keep in contact. Can wait to get back out there.

Ps. I have apologized by phone all ready too.

I will publicly apologize for getting wrong JOHN. Yep fell like a bigger a$$ bag when I didn't get your name right...You would think after the guy saves your life you would at least get his name right.

Like posted above you are a class act and I am very glad we met and keep in contact. Can wait to get back out there.

Ps. I have apologized by phone all ready too.

Haha, Tim, don't worry about it, you are a great guy, as well, and I enjoyed our discussions on fishing at the Cove. I am sure we will see more of each other this summer on the big lake. Salmon fishing is like a Heroin addiction or something!!LOL :yes::yes::yes::D

Magic77, a jumper box didn't work to keep the boat running. After I got the belt changed I used a jumper box and start it but would not stay running. After talking with Doug at lake breeze he said because the battery was so drained there was not enough power to the alternator to keep the plugs firing. Bought a new battery and ran just fine. I now have spare belts and a fully charge battery in the cabin.

Its storys like this that make me feel a little safer, We haven't been on lake O with the new boat yet, but I wounder what would happen if something(god forbid) were to happen out there. We are a long way from home(2 hrs+) and don't really have any friends with a big enough boat to tow us anyways. The Coast Guard won't tow, and towboats usa are a hit or miss proposition at best.

Thanks for posting, lets people like us know there are truely GOOD people out there with us. :yes::beer:

It's a good idea to have local marina phone numbers programmed into your phone or a list on the boat. They may be able to send someone out to assist or perhaps put you in touch with a marine mechanic to help diagnose a problem. Point Breeze Marina at Oak Orchard helped me out one time when my battery died. The made a few calls and ultimately connected me with the sheriff's boat who came out and gave a jump to get her started and then followed us back to port to make sure we made it. They did a courtesy inspection, gave me a sticker, and shot the breeze with us for awhile - great guys. All in all a happy ending. I now keep a cheap voltage tester on board and test batteries before hand to make sure the are charged and nothing was left on to drain them.

Shawn