I/O vs outboards

Time Out

Guys,

I'm looking for some help on deciding what I want for motors in a new boat. I'm looking at walk around style boats in the 26'-27' range. I don't really know too much about out o/b motors. The boats I have been looking at are in the 02-05 range. One of the boats has a merc 350 mag Mpi, and the other has twin 200hp 2 stroke yamahas with 100 hrs on them. I know we all love our I/o motors, but it seems a majority of manufactures are going with the o/b motors in this class boat. What are the pros and cons with the o/b motors. Four strokes would be nice, but the boats with the 4 strokes are out of my budget in that size.

Thanks

I have a friend in the keys with twin 250,s its a 26 ft regulator will top out about 48 mph but each engine is suckin 26 gal per hour at 33 mph they draw 14 gph..so at high speed ya ant gettin great gas millage but with 2 motors workin togeather with the right pitch you will beat the pack on a long run if the lake allows..ant no fishin boat gonna survive a 35 mph run in 4 to 5 ft waves...well it will but you wont.

If ya ant gonna salt water fish ,or cold weather fish the outboards are just one more thing in the way, and a well maintained io is a good dependable power source my 1989 is powered by a 1975 120 hp and runs as good today as it did new...thats all i got for ya on the subject.......................................hey im justa plummer

There are not any new IO's coming out due to EPA rules requiring catalytic converters on inboard engines. An added "too expensive" deal so prepare for outboards in the future. Outboards are easier to service and repair but then they do not require as much service either. If you choose an OB then a 25 MPH top speed is enough to get you there unless you are a charter boat with paying for the fuel customers.

I have used outboards for over 60 years and do not fear them at all.

Outboards will suck more gas than an I/O but other than that there is no real advantage to the to I/O. The outboard can be ran in shallower water, be changed to another boat with the removal of 4 bolts and controls, less maintenance, and can be ran in colder temps without needing a lot of winterization.

Twin outboards on a Lake O boat will be a plus in maneuvering, slight plus in speed, but a minus in out the back access with riggers will be somewhat compromised. If you like the one with the twins, and ya want better fuel economy I would consider trading the twins for a single 300 or 350 and have maybe a good enough deal that a kicker up to 15 hp be added for trolling the many hours you spend fishing. Rather than have breakneck speed at the cost of space and fuel for the twins just to race out and back for the hour offshore... as compared to the time spent idling around fishing. Just a thought.

Another thing is if those Yammy 250 2 Strokers are the HPDI models or the earlier OX66 design. The HPDI versions are a bit complicated fuel delivery design. Also you should consider the cost of the oil injection for the ring a ding motors X2... as compared to the cost of a 4 stroke outboard. I have a 225 yammy 2 stroke OX, and the oil for one gallon is around 30 bucks. Now ya got 30 bucks added to the fuel for every 50 gallons consumed on EACH motor.

100 gals. fuel at 4.50 = $450 + $60 oil = $510 for the twin two stokers @ 28 gal per hr cruise 33mph= $143 per hour

100 gals. fuel at 4.50 = $450 + $0 oil = $450 for a single 300 4 stroker @ (Est. 17 gal p/hr) 28 mph= $76.50 per hr

That's a lot more trips offshore and back on the single 300hp powered boat. Of course all this is estimates and depend highly on hull efficiency and weight.

Then ya got all the maintainence of the two strokers from idling vs the little kicker. I know what idling the two stroke does to things like O2 sensors and plugs when my little four stroke kicker is not running for a day....baaaddd!

Hope this helps, and doesn't dull your enthusiasm. Fuel costs keep us all at the dock or on the driveway more than we like these days. :@

Mark

I have a 25 footer with 250 Yamaha she cruises well at 25 mph top end about 36 mph and that loaded . I had the option to go with twin 150'S . But i wanted a kicker motor for trolling. pros and cons love my outboard for early season fish when its cold out all you have to do is let the water drain out . good to go . Very easy to work on not much maintenance. Cons little had working around the motor to net fish and can't run a center rigger.

Jersey Jim :beer:

Love my outboards Jeff.

One big one for getting to the fish and one little one for fishing, less fuel consumption, to keep hours of the expensive big one and as an emergency 2nd motor.

Which ever way you go, keep in mind I've never heard anybody complain about being over powered. LOL

Good luck

Glen

I have a Yamaha 225 4 stroke. Love it, and I think it is every bit as good on gas as the i/o I owned. Haven't

gone kicker yet, but think about that.

The Yamaha replaced a 2 stroke Evinrude 225 that blew 2 cylinders at 485 hrs, despite meticulous maintenance,

and using all the extra ring free kind of stuff. Apparent issue with that motor...don't get me started.

The 4 stroke is quieter,no fumes and I think better on gas than the two stoke. Oil/filter change is easy now

that I master that.

I love the look of twin outboards, but, as I traveled around with a friend looking this fall...good question

came up....what if you had used twins and blew one up? You couldn't replace it with new, because they

might not match, so you'd be looking at a replacement powerhead, not always the best situation either.

Marina told me on the Evinrude that I'd be fixing junk w junk, on that particular motor, and the warranty

company said they wouldn't touch a repower.

Speaking from experience, I could have replaced a blown inboard 5x for what my Yamaha cost......