Snell or Palomar knot on treble for fly leaders?

I am currently tying some of my own leaders for flies pretty much exactly as A-TOM-MIK does and was wondering if you prefer the Snell knot to tie on the treble or would you just do a Palomar? I have been tying the Snell knot but is a true pain in the butt. If memory serves me correct the Snell is a super strong knot that tightens as pressure is applied but the Palomar is one of the strongest knots used in fishing.

If you were to purchase the leader same price on both what knot would be your preference.

FWIW the Snell knot is traditional with the tail end buried under the wraps not on top.

Chas, I tie my own leaders and use both trebbles and single hooks. The singles have an offset eye, so I tie the snell and the hook and leader are nice and straight. The trebble hooks have an eye in line with the shank, using a snell makes the hook turn off to the side, so for me, Palomar for trebbles, snell for singles

offset eye, Snell

hook_1.jpg

straight eye, Palomar

trebb_hook.jpg

Just my $.02

Jim

Do you think it would hurt the hook bend the eye?

I've done that (bend the eye) to get a straight pull. Don't know if it helped, but it looks good. One problem is that some trebles are so hard that you can break the shank in the process.

Was told by a smart guy that up eye hooks are ment to be snell tied. He said the physics of the hook give a more direct line of force. Which I is why I will not use them for steelhead trib flies( I have & lost more than a few fish ) .If you snell tie the treble it will hold it straight at all times. With a tight Palomar or Clinch it could be off centered for some reason and not make the fly run true. For this reason I put a split ring on the trebel & tied a palomar to that of some of my flies . Don't know if it made a diff or not, but I felt better about it.

I just bought the 10 dollar vise I used to tie fly fishing flies

But sold my old vise and the rest of my equipment. The vise is the "Flying Tying Vise Supper AA" not sure if it still on sale

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png