Keuka lake flta tournament

Went into the morning with low expectations but none the less always hopeful. Have had 2 different fishing adventures in the past week over their one trolling and one jigging the trolling was not impressive to say the least and the jigging that was fun but slow, so went into the morning with a idea of a area to try for that elusive brown on that lake!!!!! Well got to the branch port launch a little later then I wanted to put the boat in about 6am and made a run down around the bluff started setting gear got 8 of the 9 rods in and boom first fish on 10 color core lots of weight to it fighting that one and a 7 color goes same thing buddy says feels heavy so doubled up then the 145 dipsy goes the driver grabs that one then the 135 dipsy goes 3 guys 4 rods fish fish on looking fun and then the 55 rigger pops so 5 fish on in 8 rods in 15 min of fishing well I lost mine on the 10 color got both dipsy fish while jake was still on the 7 color rigger fish was landed as well so starting to wonder what jake had was hopefull for that brown get a few rods heading down when I realize jake is to the mono so I get the net hoping well it was not a brown but was a real solid 8lbs laker that had a lot of fight in it!! So the first flurry got 4 out of the 5 well the morning went on like that with a few more double and another triple the 10 color a the 135 and 145 dipsys where gold all morning getting fish just about every time you would tighten the drag up to set them in place at 9.30 the light switch was flipped and the bite was dead so after boating 25 fish we began searching had a 8lbs laker to weigh a 6lbs laker and then a small one to so just trying to get a upgrade for that 2lbs fish wow did the bite get tuff fished down around the bluff marked a ton of fish had fishing looking but not biting so ended up changing a few rods out put the mag dipsys down pulling flasher fly and just as we dropped into the deeper water bam fish on 215 dipsy get it in the boat and 4lbs nice upgrade fished almost all the way back to the ramp with no luck not even a bite. So went to weigh in with are heads held high but also wondering because their was a few boats in the same area as us and said they had a good bite well we had 3 fish for 18.9 lbs good box for that lake managed a couple real nice smallies to an a mess of a tangle! Ended up winning 1st lunker and the 50/50 so was a good day congrats to all that fished I enjoy these events post-147332-13799337493763_thumb.jpgpost-147332-13799337637576_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the win!!! Sounds like the morning was quite the rip & tear action that makes you think, MAN, there really is a GOD, who would think action like this? Then the old light switch goes OFF, that's when the old thinking cap needs to be put on. What a mess those smallies made, but it paid off in the end GOOD JOB!!!!!!

Congrats on the win!!! Sounds like the morning was quite the rip & tear action that makes you think, MAN, there really is a GOD, who would think action like this? Then the old light switch goes OFF, that's when the old thinking cap needs to be put on. What a mess those smallies made, but it paid off in the end GOOD JOB!!!!!!

yes sir the thinking caps went on tried everything I know at one point I had 37 spoons out of the box that I had tried through out the day

Indeed the ADVISORY is a concern. I know I have reservations with so many grand children now, and younger family members close by. Does any one know how recent the lab studies are for the Fingers, especially Keuka ? And , are they still grinding up the hole fish for sampling ? I must say when I look at the list of affected waterways in the recent State  Regulation guide, it sickens me. Have we really made much in 10.000 years.......unbelievable !!!

The advisory for Keuka includes no Lake Trout of any size be eaten by women under 50 years old and children under 15 because of DDT . This eliminates a lot of families from eating Keuka trout. NYS made the use of DDT in watersheds with Lake Trout illegal in 1965 . I do not know when the last sampling was done.

If it was only the fish from that lake that exceeded 25" that would be no prob those are the tuff ones to get hahaha and nick think about it this could explain a lot about us many have said we are not right lol and I cooked the fish in a pre mixed breading and baked it in the oven it was the best I ever I will get the name of the breading

Also have eaten a whole bunch of Keuka trout over the years and have made it to 69 so far. Maybe if we put a bug in the ear of DEC, health department, and legislature people when we run in to them they will do some updated sampling and find out DDT level is low enough now after almost 50 years that they can drop the advisory. Worth a try anyways.

We eat tons, were okay!

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You sure about that Nick?? :blink::blink: Lol.. This is the first time I have ever heard about an advisory on Keuka...

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some SCIENCE  here, if there is any. The grind -up- the- whole fish and test the samples approach can't still be done ????? and how old is the data that requires such an Advisory ?  Anyone know where in the DEC or other Dept. I can get the current information for all who should know ?

Found this info on a search , sorry no cut and dry info :

Fish from Stores and Restaurants

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the

sale of commercial fish in markets. Due to concerns about

mercury, FDA advises pregnant women, women who may

become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children to

avoid shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish.

Food and Drug Administration: (888) SAFEFOOD, (888) 723-3366

More Information

New York State Fish Advisories

Department of Health

www.health.ny.gov/fish

(518) 402-7800

(800) 458-1158

email [email protected]

Other Fish Information

Environmental Protection Agency

www.epa.gov/ost/fish

Food and Drug Administration

www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/

Consumers/ucm110591.htm

New York State Fishing

Department of Environmental

Conservation (DEC)

www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/fishing.html

New York State Fishing, cont.

DEC Region 7

(Broome, Cayuga, Cortland, Onondaga,

Tioga, and Tompkins counties)

Cortland Office

(607) 753-3095

DEC Region 8

(Chemung, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario,

Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne and

Yates counties)

Avon Office

(585) 226-5343

DEC Region 9

(Allegany county)

Allegany Sub-Office

(716) 372-0645

New York State

2768 Department of Health 4/13

And this :

Where can the whole family eat the fish?

The Finger Lakes region has great fishing. Everyone in the family can follow the general advice and enjoy up to four fish meals a month from any waters in this region not listed in the table, such as:

• Cayuga Lake • Otisco Lake
  • Hemlock Lake • Seneca Lake
  • Honeoye Lake • Skaneateles Lake

These lakes are just examples of fishing spots where the four meals a month general advice applies. The DEC fishing website

listed on the back of this brochure has a wealth of resources to help you find public access fishing sites, boat launches, and license information. It also includes information on what types of fish are found in different waterbodies across New York.

Remember to check for specific advice like that listed in the table if you plan on eating the fish you catch. If you have questions about health advice for your favorite waterbody call the fish advisory team at (518) 402-7800.

Visit www.health.ny.gov/fish for the latest advice about eating your catch for all regions in the state.

Keuka lakers are super tasty, advisory or not. One of the places that keeping as many as you legally can actually HELPS the ecosystem. There are still some big ones. My buddy hooked a slob we never saw. Lost it and reeled in a 12 inch or so half digested baby laker. Hook musta missed the big guy and lodged in the little guy stuck in his gullet.

I called DEC four or five years ago about DDT in Keuka. They send in lake trout every time they net a finger lake every 4 or 5 years. They had just done Keuka back then so I don't know if its been samples since. Back then they told me DDT was continuing to drop and almost low enough to remove the advisory but not quite there yet. Maybe I will call to see if there is any new data. Those small Keuka lakers are tasty!

Keuka lakers are super tasty, advisory or not. One of the places that keeping as many as you legally can actually HELPS the ecosystem. There are still some big ones. My buddy hooked a slob we never saw. Lost it and reeled in a 12 inch or so half digested baby laker. Hook musta missed the big guy and lodged in the little guy stuck in his gullet.

i agree their is some decent fish in their just have to fish through the 3lb fish 1 in every 50 is about 8lbs in my experiences

I called the DEC fish advisory number Ed posted as my family eats otisco walleye 4 times a week not a month. I was told that if a water does not have a specific restriction the 4 meals per month is a general advisory across the state. The individual i spoke with had no specific scientific data to share about any of the fingerlakes except the ones with restrictions. Otisco gets tested on a daily basis as it provides most of syracuse's water. Skaneatles is also checked daily, and their water is safe untreated. Seems like they are covering their behinds with the general 4 meals a month. Keuka was 1 meal per month over 25 inches.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app