Lighten up?

Adk1

Ok so I have been reading earrings books. He strongly promotes using 12 lb stren on spoon rigs. I think I am using 30lb mono and 17lb flouroclear leader on my riggers. I am thinking about getting on decent rig for 12lb setup. I would run it on one rigger constantly. Does anyone else really feel strongly about running 12lb mono for spoons?

I run 30 lb mono on all rigs while fishing lake O because when I tried running 12 lb it got loaded up with fleas. I guess it depends on what time of year and what lake and what species of fish ur targeting.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use 30 lb.Trilene Big Game mono on all rods, and add different pound test flourocarbon leaders as needed, usually 10lb. off the boards and riggers for spring browns, 15 lb. off riggers for late spring / early summer, then 20 lb. for summer and fall.

Twelve lb Mono for Kings, no thank you! Probably a great fight but I cant imagine fishing with 12# through july and august. Light line may put more fish in the boat but i think a better setup can be achieved with fluorocarbon leaders. My spoon set up consists of 20lb Mono main line with 20lb fluorocarbon leaders when kings are around.

Before fleas showed up in the lake, all I ever ran on my rigger spoon rods was 12 lb Trilene XT and many a 30+ king came to net. 

Sadly those conditions no longer exist and we DO have fleas in the lake.  12 lb now would be nothing but an exercise in frustration.

Tim

Befroe fleas, all I ran was 12 & 15 and caught a ton of kings on it.I used pink ande, Trilene XT or Stren. Spring I still do the same thing but now Big Game . After Fleas show  Put 150' of 30 , then a  20' leader of 15-20 w/ spoons.  20 for the flashers.  I  would use 12 lb good mono over flouro, knowing what I do now.

Dick Swan fished Kings with a noodle rod and 2 lb test bragged about it. If you want to kill fish and take all day to get them in be my guest. 12lb works but big kings with multi rods and baits and not stopping the boat ? Don't bring a BB gun to a gunfight!

As I only get to Lake Ontario twice a year, spring and late summer, I haven't experienced the flea problem yet.

When do they become a problem?

We're fishing out of little sodas bay in early May. I'd like to rig lighter lines for browns, but is there a happy medium in the chance we hook up with a king?

Thanks for your information

Boat safe

Egoody

Just like Tim B I ran 12 lb (Hombre which became Berkley Big Game)on all my rods for everything including kings for many years (Daiwa 47H's with about 500 yds) but with the invasion of the fleas I switched to 30 lb Big Game and Blood Run SeaFlea line and fluoro leaders for spoons during the flea season (Fingers and Lake O)....but for the Spring non-flea season I have downrigger rods setup with the 12 lb test and I leave them that way and switch to the other 30 lb test rods as soon as the fleas start and then switch back when the fleas aren't present in quantity any longer in the Fall

Edited by Sk8man

Might try a longer leader of 12lb on one of your current set ups before devoting a full spool to it.  Shouldn't need much more than 100ft to get the same results and you'll know in a hurry if the fleas are too bad.  That way you can switch back to your 17lb leader without losing a full spool of backing if there's a problem. 

Might try a longer leader of 12lb on one of your current set ups before devoting a full spool to it.  Shouldn't need much more than 100ft to get the same results and you'll know in a hurry if the fleas are too bad.  That way you can switch back to your 17lb leader without losing a full spool of backing if there's a problem. 

good idea. I think I only have about 20' of 17lb Flouro on mine. I think its 17 lb, cant remember now

Dan Keating uses 12 lb. mono for spoon rods and he has caught a few fish ;)  I asked him how he dealt with the fleas and he said, as mentioned above; splice in some 30 lb mono to combat the flea issue.