Thru hull ducer

Rich D

Ok, I will be adding the Furuno FCV587 to the new ride this spring before splash down. Now, which thru hull ducer are you guys running. Still trying to decide 600 or 1k watt, would like to see the rigger weights while trolling, but not a necc, since I know that with depth and speed they will disappear, due to blow back. Thanks for your time.

Capt. Rich

If it were me I'd be talking with the tech guys at Furuno to see the best match up for my situation because with a through hull once installed you probably aren't going to want to rip it out if it doesn't do what you want it to do.

Edited by Sk8man

Rich, similar to above, but I would call Airmar. I don't think it's as much of a power issue as an angle one. If you go with a flush mount transducer, there isn't much you can do about the angle.

I know its not a Furuno like you are asking about but...

I matched the 600 watt with my Humminbird 958 and can see everything I need too including riggers unless there is a bad current or I'm running higher speeds. I think Chris put a 1k transducer in the Parker for his Raymarine.

Text me some pics of the new ride.

Rich,

I recently purchased the 587 Furuno and contacted Furuno on recommendations for a transducer.  Furuno put me in contact with their Great LLakes region representative.  He highly recommended the 525TID-TMD Transducer.  It is a transom mount which I like because I can tilt it (if needed) to see my rigger weights.  I bought it from BOE Marine.

http://www.boemarine.com/furuno-525tid-tmd-tm-transducer-w-temp-1kw-10-pin/ 

Brian

Thanks guys, I had planned to talk with Jim at BOE, and also the guys from Furuno, but deff want a thru hull, only thing that will be mounted on the transom is the Fish hawk ducer, and the kicker.

1390189430.jpg  Here is the only pic I have uploaded so far, this is at her old dock. Right now she is on blocks 350 miles away, I will post more when I get them, come on spring.

Capt. Rich

Sweet Ride Rich!!!

I have a thru hull for my 585 600watt it is more then enough.  The only time I dont track my rigs is when I am steelhead fishing and am going over 2.9.  For the kind of fishing we do it is over kill to have anything over 600 watt. The real trick is mounting it in the correct spot.  Mine is probably a hair to far stern and I do get a little air while running.  I can still mark depth and bait while at open throttle but I have seen a better picture on other rides.   I know Primetime Pete had a 1k in his baha and took it out and installed a 600 a few years ago.

Good luck with the ride!

Sweet rig Rich. Good luck... as Brian said 600 is perfect for us. I matched a B60 airmar to my 585. Also its mounted just below the helm. Holds bottom at 30 mph. If you do mount it more midship account for the angle between the ducer and your balls.. the reading on the screen wont match what the actual cable out. Between blowback and the ducer reading the balls at an angle my differential is about ten to twelve feet, depending on the depth im fishing. If you knew that im typing for nothing. Lol:huh:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks guys, I figured the 1k might be overkill, but wanted to ask those that have used the 1k. I am looking more for seeing the bottom and bait while running, seeing the weights is just a bonus. I will post more pics when I get, she will be going to Krenzers when delivered.

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rich

Brian is right I did have a 1K and took it off after one year as the cone angles on the 1k are usually much narrower than the 600w transducers. The 600w is more than enough power. Transducer location and mounting correctly to be in "clean" water while running is the determining factor in how well your unit will mark at running speeds. Thru hull is the only way to go.

Capt Pete   

Just out of curiosity does the thru hull get mounted in the bilge area of the boat? I see they are angled is this to make up the difference, because mine Sea-Ray has a slight v all the way to the end of the transom. Thanks pap. I have a p66 laying around for years, I got it from a guy who stopped to ask me what this was, it came with a boat he bought and it had a transom mount ducer and he was happy with it the way it was, after I told him you need to drill a hole in the bottom of your new boat to use this ducer, he handed it to me and said Merry Christmas, I'm not drilling no holes in my boat and especially that big of one. I don't know if the angle of this one is right for my boat, maybe I'll look into it come spring. First I need to figure out what finder I'm going to get.

Pap, they do go in the bilge. The flush mount transducers come in different angles. That way they look straight down but mount/match the deadrise/angle of the hull. Different boat makes can have different deadrise angles.

Thanks, I couldn't fore see it going anywhere else, but wanted to be sure, if it's the right one for my boat, I'm going to use it. if not give it to somebody that can use it. How can I tell what it is, are there numbers on it somewhere?

Is the reason that the 1k watt ducer being taken off was the small cone diameter? I know there is new ones coming out every year. Like I said I

am more interested in picture while running and while trolling, the riggers in the pic is just a bonus.

Rich

Sweet ride Rich!

Let me know what you decide to do for a kicker....in the process myself with the new Baha...

Getting many different opinions!!.. lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Matt,

Going with a T25 mounted to a Bob's hydraulic jack plate, controlking throttle control. I am going to have the steering hooked up so the kicker steers with rudders.

Rich