How many batteries do I need?

Chas0218

Ok so a new kicker with 12v charging isn't in the budget. So I need to figure out how many batteries I need to sustain my boat for 8 hours of trolling.  I only have 3 things that will be running off the batteries.  I have 1 battery dedicated as my cranking battery, but I am unsure whether I need 2 deep cycle batteries or if my 1 deep cycle will be enough.  

I will be running the EV-100 auto pilot with a hydraulic pump, my 5" depth finder, and my elite 4 gps.  The ma/hour rating on all of the units combined (not including the pump) are 850ma/hour or .85amps/hour.  

My deep cycle battery is rated for 125amp/hours, I was thinking even if my hydraulic pump pulled 11 amps/hour it should still last about 10 hours.  Does this make sense?

Edited by Chas0218

I would go with 2 batteries to be on the safe side and then have a seperate cranking battery.  Wire the 2 batteries as one and isolate the cranking battery with a battery switch.  You can start the main motor off the 2 batteries and just switch it over to the crank battery if they dont have enough juice.  To your trailer your boat or are you in a slip?

When I had a non charging kicker, I turned on my main engine every so often and just let it idle for a few minutes to recharge the batteries. It effectively eliminated the need for an extra battery

I think Mike (Vetting) stated if as correctly as possible. On my Baha I have an on board charging system for both batteries and also carry a 900 cranking amp booster pack. Have lent out the booster pack more than once to guys that have run out of juice. Hey, we are all there to help each other out .

no electric riggers only the autopilot and accessories.

I am running 2 batteries already just the one is only used for my main engine and the other for my accessories.

If I am understanding you guys you're saying 2 for just the accessories and still utilize the third one for my main engine?

Sent from my thinking chair...

I would go with 2 batteries to be on the safe side and then have a seperate cranking battery. Wire the 2 batteries as one and isolate the cranking battery with a battery switch. You can start the main motor off the 2 batteries and just switch it over to the crank battery if they dont have enough juice. To your trailer your boat or are you in a slip?

I see what you are saying, I keep my boat on a rail system that allows me to use an onboard charger.

Sent from my thinking car!

Three batteries is overkill.

One battery for the starter and one for the electronics is plenty and then some. What you should get is a pergo battery switch so you can independently charge the battery of your choice while running your main engine. Or whenever you run the main engine both batteries get charged while when you are trolling you seperate the two with a flick of a switch.

Consider the size of your boat and where you mount the batterys. Three batterys in the transom plus the engine while a lard bottom like me reeling a fish in and the net guy on the stern can sink the transom under water or have a wave flood your boat if you have an eighteen footer.

Depending on the draw of your electronics they can usually be hooked into your main starting battery as long as you are starting/running the engine briefly periodically (e.g. going place to place etc.) and use a deep cycle to run things like downriggers. I have a combination starter/deep cycle for that purpose and a conventional marine starting battery for the main motor and fish finder and have never had a problem. One of the things I do though is use the drag brake on the downriggers rather than the down button (i.e. only use the UP button) and my deep cycle lasts all season without even being recharged. I've done it that way since I got the downriggers 30 years ago (without problems with them).

Edited by Sk8man

Consider the size of your boat and where you mount the batterys. Three batterys in the transom plus the engine while a lard bottom like me reeling a fish in and the net guy on the stern can sink the transom under water or have a wave flood your boat if you have an eighteen footer.

My boat is a 23 footer, I have a lot in the back of the boat already but even with 2 people in the back with the 25 gallon livewell full, 2 batteries, 2 riggers, main motor, and kicker she still has quite a bit of free board. I have self bailing floors which is a plus. So when I take a wave over the back it goes right back out.

Depending on the draw of your electronics they can usually be hooked into your main starting battery as long as you are starting/running the engine briefly periodically (e.g. going place to place etc.) and use a deep cycle to run things like downriggers. I have a combination starter/deep cycle for that purpose and a conventional marine starting battery for the main motor and fish finder and have never had a problem. One of the things I do though is use the drag brake on the downriggers rather than the down button (i.e. only use the UP button) and my deep cycle lasts all season without even being recharged. I've done it that way since I got the downriggers 30 years ago (without problems with them).

I have considered tying them together but once I get to my location I usually don't leave/run the main motor until I leave at the end of the day.  I might do the perko switch idea or buy another single bank charger.

Decisions, decisions

Do any of you guys have an idea of what your hydraulic pumps pull for amperage?

Chas, my uncle put a solar charger for his trolling motor and is quite happy with it. Me They wouldn't work cause as soon  as I mention lake O it clouds up and the wind starts blowing for as long as I'm there and the sun come out around  20 miles south on 81. On the way Home :lol:  :mooning:  :swear:  weather!!

I have an octopus pump for my auto pilot on my boat & after a good morning of fishing I had to put a second reserve battery in because the run in was not enough to charge it back up to fish the evening. Other wise I had to run my main engine & not at an idle either for at least a half an hour. 

I have a starting battery isolated just for the main engine.mthen I have a deep cell batter that is connected to all my electronics and 2 electric riggers. I don't have much other then an older ff lights marine radio etc. haven't had a problem yet, even all day on water running riggers up and down no issues. But it is a new and good quality deep cycle

so do 2 riggers. my kicker isnt electric start etc so makes no difference. a good deep cycle battery will run 2 riggers and electronics no problem I wouldnt use the same battery for starting though