Filling Reels with 50 lbs. Power Pro Line

Looking for some clarification on filling my Magda Pro DX Line Counter Reels with braided fishing line.  My plan is to fill two MA-20DX with approximately 300 yards of 50 lbs. Power Pro and the MA-30DX reels with approximately 600 yards of 50 lbs. Power Pro.  Does this seem correct?  I am using an excel spreadsheet called “reel_fill_calculator†that I found on the internet and based on that spreadsheet this should get me to approximately 87% capacity.  I am planning on putting black tape on the spool and then mount the braid next.  Should I be using some type of other backing and if so what?  Also the idea of using 50 Lbs. was so I would not have problems with the fleas this summer.  Is this correct?  Also with the capacity only at 87% does that mean the line counter will be off?  If so, how should I re-calibrate the line counters or is it a matter of loading the reels to 100% capacity?  Other questions, does it hurt to use braid when flat lining?  Most of my fishing will be done using dipseys so that is the main reason for loading the braid.  Some time down the road maybe this summer I may load two reels with wire and play around with that but for now I am just starting out so my plan is to run braid. Any help would be appreciated?    

I just posted a formula for loading reels of any size.

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/index.php?/topic/42308-Calculation-for-copper-or-leadcore-and-backing#entry276946

You can double check the spread sheet findings with that. It's math, but it works. If you want to run braid with dipsy, then I would not use power pro. It will collect fleas, even in 50 lb. I suggest useing fireline fused original in 30 lb. Braid. It works very well with dipsy and does a great job during flea season. I don't load the whole reel with braid it is a waste of expensive line to have thousands of feet of braid on there. I would suggest winding on some 30 lb mono first. Something like Ande or Big game, that way you will have way less line invested just to use for filler. The mono will cushion the spool and not as likely to creep on the arbor.

Mark

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by skipper19

Why so much line?  I would back it and use 300 yard spools, much cheaper and have will more efficient use of the line counter.  Once you get 1/3 of the spool gone your line counter numbers will be skewed a lot.

I guess I should have specified for the magda 30's.

I run 50 on my PowerPro dipsys and didn't have a single flea build up on the line (mostly on the leader from the dipsy to the spin dr.)

Edited by Chas0218

If you haven't actually purchased the braid and put it on I'd suggest 30 lb SS wire too but the 50 lb Power Pro will work too if that's what you already have but during the height of flea season it will be somewhat of a pain clearing the fleas. The 50 lb Power Pro is still pretty small diameter allowing the fleas to attach but the most important feature is it's "woven" texture that allows the fleas to collect more easily.  If so It is helpful though to frequently check your lines and use it as an opportunity to change lures and unless you happen to troll through an area of high flea concentration of fleas the lines shouldn't be too clogged to clear quickly.  It helps also to have a high gear ratio reel with a power handle to make this a bit easier.

Large kings put up a great fight and they can be a "handful" sometimes but they aren't Marlin, Blue fin tuna or sailfish either....you don't need line the length of 6 football fields to contain them if you are using your rod, drag, and the boat properly to get them to the net.  You should be able to use 300 yds. of braid  (or wire) with plenty of Big Game mono as backing and never get "spooled". 

Edited by Sk8man

I have wire and I also have braid. Both run at the same time, same duration. The braid is as good and better in some ways with heavy flea season.

This braid....Fireline ORIGINAL Fused 30 lb...gray smoke color.

NOT CRYSTAL...FUSED ORIGINAL

If ever you try it you will be happy...even if fleas get on it...which is small walnut size gobs..rod tip down, rip it up outta the water and gone. No worries about kinked wire. No worn guides. Most times no need to touch the stinky little bastards

Try it..if it don't work...I'm lying... Cuss me.

Wire is good and gets deep, but so is the Fireline.

I'm just a guy who likes to fish stressless.

Not affiliated in anyway. :lol:

Until fleas get really bad, most times I'll run a wire diver on one side and a 50 lb power pro diver on the other and for whatever reason, I get around 3:1 bites on wire over braid.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have wire and I also have braid. Both run at the same time, same duration. The braid is as good and better in some ways with heavy flea season.

This braid....Fireline ORIGINAL Fused 30 lb...gray smoke color.

NOT CRYSTAL...FUSED ORIGINAL

If ever you try it you will be happy...even if fleas get on it...which is small walnut size gobs..rod tip down, rip it up outta the water and gone. No worries about kinked wire. No worn guides. Most times no need to touch the stinky little bastards

Try it..if it don't work...I'm lying... Cuss me.

Wire is good and gets deep, but so is the Fireline.

I'm just a guy who likes to fish stressless.

Not affiliated in anyway. :lol:               X2 same results as skipper 19 on my last bulk spool don't know if it is still available.

Edited by bigblue