What if there were no Kings?

Personally I would love to never see a Lake Ontario King Salmon again. I really do not like them in any way shape or form. They bring out the worst in those who target them, and this ranges from fishing tactics to Environmental management. This is a much bigger picture than the lake or the tribs, yet there are those that still refuse to see that since they do not fish one or the other.

Kings are now needed, but if there were no invasive species from the ballasts of ships, the zebra or quagga mussels, alewives, etc. I would have loved to see this lake with millions of Atlantics and lakers. Unfortunately it will never happen again and it wasn't from a lack of trying, but years and years and years of the demise of the entire eco-system. 

Unfortunately the answer would not be to increase the steelhead numbers since there are quite a few more needs that have to be met to raise them. But the good part potentially would be if the pollution was not there, the water temps were not high, and the ecosystem was back to where it was in the 1800's (Yes it is a pipe dream) then there might be an actual survivable natural reproduction of any salmonids out there so the potential for naturally reproducing fish should theoretically be greater with the 1 control that I would love to see is base water flows for any dam controlled tribs on either shore. 

Since the initial question was what if there were no kings, then I think that I would love to see steelhead or Browns increased, but only if there is a way to protect the hatcheries from furthering the whirling disease issue.

Personally I would love to never see a Lake Ontario King Salmon again. I really do not like them in any way shape or form. They bring out the worst in those who target them, and this ranges from fishing tactics to Environmental management. This is a much bigger picture than the lake or the tribs, yet there are those that still refuse to see that since they do not fish one or the other.

Let the games begin......!!! You are out of your mind. .... Edited by JakeyBaby

If there were no kings i might never fish lake ontario ever again. I can fish lakers in simcoe browns and bows everywhere and feel no particular urge to fish atlantics.

If there were no kings my life would have a hollow void in it.

If there were no kings i might never fish lake ontario ever again. I can fish lakers in simcoe browns and bows everywhere and feel no particular urge to fish atlantics.

If there were no kings my life would have a hollow void in it.

I think that deserves an AMEN!!!! :yes:

I will say that I love Steelhead though as I fish the trips when the salmon aren't biting out in the lake(October to April).

DN Roch. You had better make a doctors appt. Your obviously suffering from low testasterone. This can lead to problems in the bedroom. Nobody wants that. The next thing you know you are the old guy wearing fishing clothes, but never goes. Reading your post makes me wonder just how many spring and summer king you have landed. I am not talkin tribs. It is not the same.KINGS RULE!!!

DN Roch. You had better make a doctors appt. Your obviously suffering from low testasterone. This can lead to problems in the bedroom. Nobody wants that. The next thing you know you are the old guy wearing fishing clothes, but never goes. Reading your post makes me wonder just how many spring and summer king you have landed. I am not talkin tribs. It is not the same.KINGS RULE!!!

I find trolling for anything to be quite boring that is my point. Trolling is not as challenging as you people make it out to be. To catch kings you can have 3 main things to figure out... 1 temps (non optimal temps = no fish), 2 electronics to see where bait is (once again leads back to temps) and 3 the ability to how fast or slow your presentation is going ... . If you get those 3 things down, then you are presenting to fish. I personally find driving around on a boat dragging spoons and flies on divers , lead core or flashers quite boring. there is no action for long periods. And when I mean action, I mean doing anything. You don't change your presentation as much as you do for live bait, jigging  or stream fishing. you are not fighting fish the entire time. The boat is doing 80% of the work. I have fished for these fish on the lake, and I just prefer to do it on the tribs or via jigging for them  rather than blowing 200 bucks in gas for a few hours of relaxation. The comments about manhood should really check themselves.

There are 4 stages of fishermen

1 catch a fish

2 catch a ton of fish

3 catch the biggest fish

4 catch the most difficult fish

I personally have moved to #4 and I choose to do it the most difficult way possible, are the others any worse. no. are they better no... It is a personal choice. 

The other part that i have a problem with is the fact that if I am going to release the fish I have a much better shot at being able to do that in a trib than on a boat dragging these fish for a few miles from depths that are not conclusive to allowing for a release.  

Do the kings fight better out in the lake absolutely, but an atlantic salmon or even a smallmouth bass fight pound for pound better than any pacific salmon out there lake or trib. 

Edited by DNRoch

90% of the Atlantics I have caught over the 29 years I have been fishing Lake Ontario fought worse than a 5 lb laker in 75 degree water. You can have every one of them.

and the 30 Atlantics that I have landed while fishing the MIramichi river in Quebec would blow the doors off any king in Lake Ontario I have caught...  Everyone has their favorites, mine is not trolling, others can't stand trib fishing... to each their own why is that so hard to get into the heads of others.... People who state that 1 is better than the other might want to do a bit more self censoring then they have before.

"The other part that i have a problem with is the fact that if I am going to release the fish I have a much better shot at being able to do that in a trib than on a boat dragging these fish for a few miles from depths that are not conclusive to allowing for a release."

So if I understand this right...you have a better chance of releasing a fish that's sole purpose once in the stream is to breed...then DIE?  So not only are you impeding the life cycle of the ecosystem by "stressing" a spawning fish, you are releasing fish sure to die.....interesting bit of self censoring...

I have been sitting back reading and not saying much about it but when he mention about fighting smallmouth bass versus salmon I had to say something. Only because my family has charted from Lake Ontario to Seneca Lake so I have been around it my whole life. I decided to give the bass fishing circuit a try and went out bought my rig all outfitted out with everything. I fished the circuit for 10 years and I was good at it, cashed several thousand dollars in tournaments and even got my 2 girls involved but still had that itch to grab a rod that was screaming 5-600 feet of line out with a KIng Salmon on the end of it. There is no better feeling in the world which I have been as well. Been to Argentina for brown trout and also to Montana and yet the King Salmon rules. Everyone has there thing but at the end of the day its fishing which we are and should be blessed to do and respect. Personally if the end of my rod is bent and something is pulling on the other end of that line I am HAPPY.

"The other part that i have a problem with is the fact that if I am going to release the fish I have a much better shot at being able to do that in a trib than on a boat dragging these fish for a few miles from depths that are not conclusive to allowing for a release."

So if I understand this right...you have a better chance of releasing a fish that's sole purpose once in the stream is to breed...then DIE?  So not only are you impeding the life cycle of the ecosystem by "stressing" a spawning fish, you are releasing fish sure to die.....interesting bit of self censoring...

And Hawkeye's response here is why the lake guys will always have their own little club and think that they are the best, their money drives this fishery, blah blah blah. Here is the point bigshot... 1 never have I stated that I am targeting a fish that is spawning. That would be fishing to fish on redds. Never was that mentioned there you mental giant. 2, I will guarantee that the fish that I do land in any trib has a better chance that a fish that has been dragged while the boat is in gear for hundreds of yards while fighting against you. #3 I avoid salmon in the tribs if I am able to. My target steelhead atlantics, and browns. All of which will spawn multiple times in their lifetime, so you little statement about  fish in the tribs to breed and then die shows that you are one of the more ignorant posters here.

I have no problem voicing my opinion here or anywhere, but never will I enforce my view on someone else, nor will I expect them to do the same to me. I have no problem standing on my own here. Most of the conversations are interesting and well written and kept to the point, but knee jerk reactions, uneducated and unfound facts have no place to be spread anywhere. So like it or not, the original question was a view of opinions that are out there. Mine was stated, and if you don't like it tough... I really could give a rats arse if you do or not, but to be challenged and give reasons why i don't feel a certain way and you don't like the reasons, you are then the one that needs to re-examine your views. Never did I say it was wrong, but I DID state that trolling is something that I personally find quite boring. It doesn't matter the species, Walleye, Tuna, Salmon, Dolphin... I find the tactic boring overall, and since that is the majority of the way that I have fished for LO salmon, (and the majority that you all have too) then you have my views on why that is. I will state that jigging for kings is way more fun, but it is not a tactic that can be used from start to finish of the lake season. Thus since it is not something that can be used from start to finish, i threw it out...

Do I have to re-iterate that arseholes and opinions are one in the same, everyone has them, you need to respect them, but don't rub them on others?

Not Lake Trout, not Brown Trout, not Atlantic Salmon, not steelhead, not ALL OF THESE SPECIES COMBINED could ever keep Alewives in check on Lake Ontario. Lakers have their heads buried in the rocks chasing gobies, browns do not usually get deeper than 100', Steelhead feed mostly above the thermocline. Only kings can chase alewives where they live year'round.

We all get old, tastes and opions change. Kings and tuna are the major leagues. Tribs are wonderful for a little fix or teaching kids the basics. Im all for conservation. I dont keep fish. I dont care who does either, legally. The sport fish are stocked, some years are better. Some are worse. That is what they are here for. DNR you need to reread my post. There is nothing about manhood. I just wanted you to be aware of the cause of your opinion. We understand and wont hold it against you. We know your sick and wish you the best in recovery. KINGS BABY.