Spreader lights

Chas0218

So I broke down and ordered a set of LED spreader lights, I got these off Amazon for semi cheap. Hooked these up to my battery holy crap are they bright. Now I just need to wire them up.

http://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Headlight-Waterproof-Dustproof-Shockproof/dp/B00CKIHT1S/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_3_E85M?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RZFZBBVYWJ6BQACGYP2

Sent from my thinking chair...

post-149865-14291869482847_thumb.jpg

post-149865-14291869585159_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chas0218

I got the same kind from amazon except round ones.  I trilled a hole in my triple tree rod holders and mounted them on the side.  Allows me to still throw a net in the top.  

Since they are LED, they draw hardly any current.  Wired them right up to my small courtesy lights so I can switch them on with the dash switch.  I put them in with some lock washers but left them just loose enough that I can still tilt them if I need to - for instance if Im cleaning fish on the boat late at night.  

Added link for the ones I bought. These draw 2 amps each.  I am going to hook up with my courtesy lights and should do a nice job lighting up my deck.

Edited by Chas0218

• 3 weeks later...

I mounted them next to it on a bracket I had made.  These things were bright enough to angle towards my big boards and see the lime green releases out to the board about 100' and still light the back of the boat. I will try and get a picture next weekend.

We had the one eye wrap up another line and there was plenty of light to see to get the tangle un-done.

Edited by Chas0218

• 9 months later...

GLP makes a "cap" that goes on top of your masts to mount lights on...easy to rotate and aim...i can spin mine forward and use them as extremely bright docking lights!

They work really well... I mounted LED lights on my GLP triple tree Caps.  

These things have been working great no issues. These lights are left on the entire summer while the boat is sitting on its rail system. I don't use them every day but they are still super bright and no water issues as of putting the boat away. One night we were on the waterfront and I heard some splashing in the shallows behind the boat so I turned the lights on and low and behold there were freshwater drum spawning (i think) or eating the bugs. Probably a good 20, I threw out a spinner and caught a couple right there. These lights are really nice and probably going to invest into a couple more.

These are by no means a spotlight but they do throw a good amount of light to see the little off shore boards in the middle of the night. I was running 6 boards at normal walleye distances and they worked great. Also they are a wide enough beam to light up the deck too. I fished 3 hours with the lights, fishfinder, and autopilot all running and the battery levels didn't move on my Walmart marine batteries. I also wired in a switch so I can shut them off independently side by side from my courtesy lights.

I prefer the white lights over colored just so it doesn't confuse other boaters. I generally leave these on as soon as I leave the dock I want to be seen.  I am throwing around the idea of rail mounting a set up front to see at night when docking.

Edited by Chas0218

These things have been working great no issues. These lights are left on the entire summer while the boat is sitting on its rail system. I don't use them every day but they are still super bright and no water issues as of putting the boat away. One night we were on the waterfront and I heard some splashing in the shallows behind the boat so I turned the lights on and low and behold there were freshwater drum spawning (i think) or eating the bugs. Probably a good 20, I threw out a spinner and caught a couple right there. These lights are really nice and probably going to invest into a couple more.

These are by no means a spotlight but they do throw a good amount of light to see the little off shore boards in the middle of the night. I was running 6 boards at normal walleye distances and they worked great. Also they are a wide enough beam to light up the deck too. I fished 3 hours with the lights, fishfinder, and autopilot all running and the battery levels didn't move on my Walmart marine batteries. I also wired in a switch so I can shut them off independently side by side from my courtesy lights.

I prefer the white lights over colored just so it doesn't confuse other boaters. I generally leave these on as soon as I leave the dock I want to be seen. I am throwing around the idea of rail mounting a set up front to see at night when docking.

Sweet. I'm going to order a set.