18 foot boat trailer tire inflation setting?

Was wondering what other 18 foot aluminum boat owners use for tire inflation settings? The tire and trailer both say 50 psi max but I hate to put anything at max. Its a ez loader trailer. Ive been using 35psi but now Im wondering if its too low since even the trailer says 50.???

OK thanks. So most of you guys are running at or near the max?  Shoot Ive always run them well below like 35 (and just had to replace a set that wore on the edges) I'll be darn......

Dam...I better get with the program. I always thought that was just a maximum amount and thought if it was at the max, they would wear out too fast in the middle of the tire.

I have to keep mine at 55 or they dont wear at all in the middle... Have been running them at 55 for a few years now and i trailer all over the state with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The one thing that confuses me is if I should be putting it at its max (50 psi) then why is my vehicle different? My Pathfinder calls for 26 PSI on all 4 wheels. ????????? but no doubt the max on the truck tires is much more than that.

Yes I get that but that doesnt answer my question about why a truck/car tires are different. They dont go to the max. How was I supposed to know its different?

There are also different grades of tires with different load ratings my D rated ones call for a 65 lb max and I keep them at 64 lbs and it is an 18 ft boat. It also depends on how much weight you are carrying in your boat on the trailer...mine holds 60 gal. of gas and I keep it full and I carry a lot of stuff in it as well so it need plenty of air in the tires to support it. The best idea is to go by the printed ratings on the tires.

Edited by Sk8man

Tim,

Thanks. Finally an answer to my question about why the difference. Thanks to all for getting me straight. I will increase the pressure to 50 PSI. BP

What is the max pressure stated on the tires? There is your answer. Some trailers tires call for 90 psi

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just saw on my small trailer tire that it calls for 90# & had to do a double take! WTH. lol

I was filling up my small trailer tires today (60 psi max) and it said something about not exceeding 32 psi when seating beads???? WTH is that?

If your tires are wearing at the edges then they are under inflated. If they are wearing straight down the middle they are over inflated. 

If its a hot day and I have a long haul I will slightly under inflate, like what was mentioned about 5% knowing that as I drive they will heat up quite a bit. 

Cheers