Advice on out drive and engine service

henrybud

I am in the process MAYBE buying a 1985 Sea Ray Amberjack.  I had a survey done yesterday and am waiting for the report.  The initial report says she may need mechanical attention.  

I need a recommendation on getting an estimate done on the mechanical stuff; maybe gimbal bearing adjustment/replacement, electrical (one of the power trim's doesn't seem to power up) and one of the engine's was bone dry (coolant).

The specs:  Twin 170 h.p. mercruisers that are closed cooling outfitted. The port engine was bone dry upon inspection (coolant wise). Why would that be?  The starboard is full.   Both engines' oil looks good, not milky or anything.

The outdrives will need new anodes but appear to be in good shape.

Anyway,  I need advice as far as how much an estimate would be (roughly) to have all that stuff looked into.

How much would all that stuff be to repair considering that I may just "go for it" as far new gimbal bearings, bellows (might as well if they are going into there anyway, right?) and electrical?

Advice on an honest mechanic that I can say,  "So and so sent me to you and highly recommended you...".  My intentions are to hire a mechanic and stick with the mechanic faithfully.  I believe in services like that.  

I appreciate you folks reading this and offering advice.  The offer I MAY make on the boat will be based on what I have to do to get her turn key and dependable.  If it's not worth it, I keep looking.  Thanks!  Captain Larry Hammond

Had a 3.7 in one of my previous boats. It ran great with no signs of trouble. I always checked fluid levels. Without warning I blew a seal and a gasket and never knew it until it was too late and the boat started started shaking like it was in a washing machine. Pulled the engine cover a had coolant and oil all over. I was stranded in the Lake Ontario floating towards Canada - that was enough for me - Wont buy a boat with another one in it.

I believe the notorious coolant/oil issue is the cam seal, right? Nothing that keeps them apart but a o ring or something. I know an amberjack for sale down near Watkins Glen. Twin screw. 4.3L engines

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I believe the notorious coolant/oil issue is the cam seal, right? Nothing that keeps them apart but a o ring or something. I know an amberjack for sale down near Watkins Glen. Twin screw. 4.3L engines

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That is correct. It's just the cam seal and by the time it goes there's nothing you can do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by bout time

If you need a mechanic, call Tom Barbera Pro Marina Services at East Fork Marina on Sandy Creek.  He does great work!  He has done a ton of work over the years on my boat and He has been great. 

If you need a mechanic, call Tom Barbera Pro Marina Services at East Fork Marina on Sandy Creek.  He does great work!  He has done a ton of work over the years on my boat and He has been great. 

X2

585-964-2694

Edited by whaler1