Bear creek Planner boards

rule of thumb,,,,If you cannot throw a tennis ball and HIT the planer..its too Far! by the way...I catch more fish behind the boat...than on the planer...therefore,I only run ONE side board.....just sayin...a little courtesy could go along way...thats all.

Now that's a new one! Lmbo

Most of the problems with the boards can be cured by the use of common courtesy and basic good manners toward other fishermen. It has been disappearing for quite some time now. It is the same with the perch fishing....people either follow the boats around or when they see a bent rod they crowd in and cast sinkers into your boat, come in or leave with motors going full blast etc......these are big bodies of water   out there and there is no need for most of the crap that goes on out there if folks weren't so self-centered and inconsiderate...all it takes is a few to set the pattern in motion. Playing "chicken" with the boards has never been a great idea :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

When I run 10 lines on my boards the boards need to be 150' from my boat, I have also ran my boards to keep other boats from running too close. Use proper driving etiquette the boat on the deeper side should have gave way a little being that you can only get so close to shore. 

rule of thumb,,,,If you cannot throw a tennis ball and HIT the planer..its too Far! by the way...I catch more fish behind the boat...than on the planer...therefore,I only run ONE side board.....just sayin...a little courtesy could go along way...thats all.

If you are alone then yes but when I have 4 guys in my boat and running 12 lines that isn't going to happen.

Lucky for me i have a major leauge arm.   :muscle:

You and me both...

The answer is quite common.

Common courtesy and common sense.

If I'm out over deep water covering water looking for fish, I'm going to use as many feet of planner board line as I can.

If I come in tight and work a shoreline with a dozen other boats, If I'm not smart enough or courteous enough to pull those boards in to a reasonable distance, I deserve to get chopped off.

Same thing with fishing long coppers in traffic.

You want to run um, your entirely responsible for keeping them out of peoples way and from getting cut off. Period.

There isn't anybody on that lake special enough to take up that kind of real estate when other people are trying to fish the same water.

Not that difficult.

Edited by spoonfed-1

The answer is quite common.

Common courtesy and common sense.

If I'm out over deep water covering water looking for fish, I'm going to use as many feet of planner board line as I can.

If I come in tight and work a shoreline with a dozen other boats, If I'm not smart enough or courteous enough to pull those boards in to a reasonable distance, I deserve to get chopped off.

Same thing with fishing long coppers in traffic.

You want to run um, your entirely responsible for keeping them out of peoples way and from getting cut off. Period.

Exactly! Everybody should treat their fellow angler the way they wish to be treated.

There isn't anybody on that lake special enough to take up that kind of real estate when other people are trying to fish the same water.

Not that difficult.

EXACTLY, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Edited by chowder

I run 150' leads on my big boards. I love being able to run 4-5 lines per board and spread them out to avoid tangles. I do my best to give everyone a ton of room and hate getting pinched in somewhere.

If you think its bad up there we have to deal with Charter boats on the Chesapeake who run 12-15 lines per board! Think of how long the leads are on those! With no lines per angler limits they have free range to do whatever they want. Some charters have a mate for each board!

I troll out of my kayak and love when I have to jackknife the 'yak into 2' of water practically on shore to dodge a planer board.  This is why I start brown fishing while there is still ice covering the ramps...."catching" is few and far between but makes for a more pleasurable fishing experience.