Seneca NLTD News

Good news for the 2017 season! Today brought about new changes to the group. Following are the new officers and board of directors.

Officers as follows

Bob Stivers: President

Josh Westervelt: Vice President

Jeff Franklin: Treasurer

Tom Willpower: Secretary

New board of directors as follows

Jason Oakes

Mike Burt

Tom Esses

Kevin Brown

Pat Polovic

Please give a round off applause to the folks who stepped up to keeping this tradition going! Great news here and awesome potential for future events.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas... What about a fall derby?

Jason

thanks to the group that grab the torch  and holing it high for the further derbies also thank you for the group that step down after  a long time of services they made a lot of good memories for a lot of people ,if there was a fall derby i would enter it as well as the spring derby . 

Edited by fisherdude

thanks to the group that grab the torch  and holing it high for the further derbies also thank you for the group that step down after  a long time of services they made a lot of good memories for a lot of people ,if there was a fall derby i would enter it as well as the spring derby . 

x`s  2!

As much as I enjoy derbies and especially on Seneca. This might not be the best time to initiate a Fall derby for a number of reasons. First is the fact that the fishing has been way off on Seneca for sometime other than a few spotty reports and if say the fishing really sucked for an initial derby it could effect attitudes toward participation in the Spring derby and we are all interested in getting that one back in full successful operation right now in light of the new changes  in management etc. The lakers spawn in the Fall and depending on the exact timing of the derby the spawners could be vulnerable at certain well known north end spots :doh: and as far as participants after Labor Day many folks with kids pack it in for the season as the kids are back in school so there would be a lot less interest in a derby other than the hard core fishing types. Just my initial thoughts. I know a lot of the hard core fishermen are really chasing the perch then too and maybe interest and participation would be affected by that as well,.

Edited by Sk8man

Les,

You made some very good points. Even if the group was to peruse the idea, I don't believe it would happen in the near future, as preserving and expanding on the current derby will take a couple years to get under way. But you do raise some good points. Thank you!

Looking forward to hearing comments on this and any other derby related topics. Thank you.

Ed, can I ask we you would not be in favor of a fall derby? I would like to hear comments both for and against so that I can weigh both sides of the discussion.

Thank you,

Jason

Les cover it pretty good , fishing has been going down hill and a derby kills fish just for money. At this time IMHO I don't think it would help but add to the decline.

i am one of the guys that would be a die hard and fish seneca any time of the year . after reading LES post he hit the nail right on the head . that is why i read his post cause of his knowledge and expertise . thanks for the insight Les . 

Thanks for the good words guys. I'm sure there are other opinions and feelings and we're all interested in having fun and continuing and improving the National Lake Trout Derby and I am very grateful for the direct involvement of you and others Jason, and look forward to changes and positive direction the new approach and participants will take. An overhaul is long overdue and it is refreshing to see things happening toward improvement.

Sorry guys I am just catching up been busy on Lady O this summer. Myself and obviously many others are very excited to see that this tradition will be carried on. As I mentioned previously that my family has 4 generations now fishing in it and we all look forward to it. I look forward to reading all the updates and can't wait til next year. As a side note Les hit it on the head as for a Fall derby. I myself had my last trip for salmon yesterday and now preparing the boat for perch fishing so to take away from spawning lakers would impact the fishery substantially. Great job to all that stepped up and can't wait.