Hughes 8-10-17 What a Day!

Sk8man

Hughes 8-10-17 What a Day!

Admiral Byrd and I got on the water at 6:15 and motored out to about 470 ft to begin what turned out to be a real good day of "kinging". We marked fisjh quickly and without a temp device we were stuck with the old standby of fishing the marks but based on LOU reports elsewhere we figured 100 ft or so might do the job. A few minutes later first king on a downrigger set at 100 ft. and we continued north marking intermittent deep marks and some in the 6o--70 ft over whatever. We fished it out to 750 or so with a king here and there and all but one on the riggers parked at 90-100 ft. with bright colored medium spoons. We fished in and out of the 450-700 range all day and accounted for 12 kings and 2 steelies one of which was a football shaped beauty at about 12-14 lbs that was returned to fight another day as were all the kings  we could safely return. Two of the biggest kings were in the low 20's which fought like hell and most others in the teens with a couple juveniles thrown in the mix. A couple kings came on sliders. We had a few other hit and gones and lost a couple fish as well. Only two fish (one 20 lb. ) came on the homemade flies with a couple hit and gone's on them as well. It was definitely primarily a rigger/spoon bite for us all day. We fished it until about 7PM and only had a few of the fish in the late afternoon and not much after 1PM or so. They also seemed to want a pretty fast trolling speed going northerly and the current was pretty strong where we fished. Bob took a few representative pics. It was also a day of experimentation regarding the stable flies. I anticiapated them by wearing a long sleeved very light weight poly shirt and long lightweight "breathable" hiking pants that were long enough to cover my ankles while Bob opted for his "lucky" shorts and short-sleeved shirt. I know it is sinful but I kinda chuckled to myself early in the AM when we started out for Hughes and I saw how he was dressed:lol: Worst of all we have been through this scenario before but a combination of Dutch stubbornness and superstitious behavior got the best of Bob and he just couldn't shift gears apparently:) Check out the pic with the red pointer:lol: P.S. The flies never bothered me once as they had Bob cornered and he was fighting them off all afternoon and he even ran out of swear words toward the end....The day also suggests that although a Fishawk is very desireable you can still have a good day without knowing downspeed and temp:lol:

firstone.jpg

anoher.jpg

another1too.jpg

chub.jpg

yepanother.jpg

afternoon.jpg

bobflies.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

That sounds like a great day. Headed up to Hughes right now. I hope the weather holds this weekend . Looks like the wind my pick up. Thanks for the report. I'm also fishing half blind until I get my probe working.

You're very welcome bud and glad it worked out for you fellas.....nothing like father and son bonding by kinging :) Thanks folks for the nice words.

Edited by Sk8man

5 hours ago, jimski2 said:

This is why "Lake Ontario is the salmon capital of the world". Never will you have a sucessfull day like this anywhere on earth..

Lets hope it stays that way too Jimski. It is very encouraging that we are seeing a bunch of young kings in the mix and they look very healthy at this point. We are truly blessed in this state (other than having King Andrew at the top ) having all this wonderful fishing for so many species at our finger tips. I never lose my sense of awe ofand gratefulness for it:)

A big sign over Main Street in Ketchikan, Alaska claimed this was the salmon capital of the world in the early 1960"s. We would be lucky to catch one a day then and now we are here catching a dozen a day. We need to claim this title in all of our publicity and welcome signs to our ports.