X2 - Just eliminate any curly Q 's or kinks and you should be good. I've had SS wire on one of my Seth Green rigs for over 30 years looks and acts just like new:lol: It should be noted that it is 60 lb wire which is much more forgiving than 30 lb which tends to curly que much more easily.

Edited by Sk8man

Just tie on 20 ft of 40 or 50 lb mono on the end of your wire and you dont't have the curly Q's to trim off. Wire should last for years unless you tangle with a copper or whatever.   :(

SF;

After 1 or 2 yrs, I typically respool my wire diver reels contents onto a like spare empty reel, using the opposite end of the spool, this also allows you the ability to inspect the wire throughout its length.

Good Luck

John

21 hours ago, CopperJon said:

What type of knot do you use to connect the mono to wire or do you use a small swivel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I started with an allbright knot which worked fine. A charter cap showed me how he haywire twists a small swivel on the wire. It is a two man job but works well also

• 2 weeks later...

When I first started fishing the lake I would have to change my wire a couple of times a season it seemed.  There was a Charter Capt(Larry Bassett-RIP). in our Marina/Campground that turned me on a to a method he used for wire.  He would simply tie into the wire end with about 30-35' of braid.  That way the wire wraps totally around the reel.  There is no give to the braid so you can tie it directly to whatever type of swivel and then hook it on to your diver.  Haven't chanted wire in 3 years and still have a full spool of it on the reels.  

Edited by longbow

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got 5 years on my dipsy rods I purchased from the Slippery Sinker.  The Okuma GLT with Twili Tip and Magda Pro reel.  Still going strong.  Each year I cut off maybe 10ft to get rid of the curly Qs, and put on a new crimp and swivel.  No need to change the wire out unless you're feeling frays.

On 4/7/2018 at 8:22 AM, longbow said:

When I first started fishing the lake I would have to change my wire a couple of times a season it seemed.  There was a Charter Capt(Larry Bassett-RIP). in our Marina/Campground that turned me on a to a method he used for wire.  He would simply tie into the wire end with about 30-35' of braid.  That way the wire wraps totally around the reel.  There is no give to the braid so you can tie it directly to whatever type of swivel and then hook it on to your diver.  Haven't chanted wire in 3 years and still have a full spool of it on the reels.  

This is an interesting concept.  Even a 8.5ft section of braid would allow the wire to get to the spool.  I may look into this.

Ive got 5 years on my dipsy rods I purchased from the Slippery Sinker.  The Okuma GLT with Twili Tip and Magda Pro reel.  Still going strong.  Each year I cut off maybe 10ft to get rid of the curly Qs, and put on a new crimp and swivel.  No need to change the wire out unless you're feeling frays.
Crimp? What do you use for knot set up?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

https://cart.gltsupplies.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29810

I throw one of these terminal kits on.  Ive tried the wire knot, and I don't care what people may say, I don't trust it.  Lost 3 setups trying that knot.  

This kit is the way to go.  Any dipsy rod combo that Wes sells at the Slippery Sinker has this type of connection.  I trust his judgement on it.

Edited by jigstick
  • Like 1

https://cart.gltsupplies.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29810

I throw one of these terminal kits on.  Ive tried the wire knot, and I don't care what people may say, I don't trust it.  Lost 3 setups trying that knot.  

This kit is the way to go.  Any dipsy rod combo that Wes sells at the Slippery Sinker has this type of connection.  I trust his judgement on it.
Link didn't work...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use a palomar knot to attach to the swivel and a modified albright knot to attach to the wire and I've never lost anything off the end save for a fish or two.  I can't really tie a decent knot using the wire to attach to anything.  I watched a buddy tie a wire knot a haywire twist, he did it in seconds and it looked perfect when he finished.  He didn't use any braid or such thing but did use snubbers.  

Edited by longbow