Gimbal rigger mounts

Ive used my Cannon gimbals (3 downriggers) on my Whaler for going on 16 years without any problems also with 10 lb weights. Very convenient as I take them on and off routinely for storage. They have swivel base mounts and stay attached to the riggers and I just put them back in the recessed holders and plug them into the electric sockets.

Edited by Sk8man

I use them as well. I like them, not love them. I am using cannons with short booms. I am leery of longer booms due to the increased leverage they would have in pulling outward on the gimbal mounts/ holders. Also, I have noticed when I free spool the weight down deep, the whole apparatus shakess around a bit. If I slow down the freefall, it steadies the set up, but sometimes it is unaviodable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It makes a difference the length and quality of the inserts (i.e. what they are made of mine are stainless steel and factory made for my boat) and where they are placed on the gunwales. I use the 4 ft booms on my riggers with 10 lb weights without thenm flexing or wobbling etc. They need to fit deep and tight on the horizontal pins at the bottom oof the holders. My Whaler is a glass boat so that may be a difference as well.

Edited by Sk8man

As Sk8man stated earlier it's not only the strength/quality of the rod holder insert, but the integrity of the gunwale itself. I've run gimbal mounts for my riggers for 12 years now using 12 lb weights with no issues in my Pursuit. I've been on other boats using same setup and the whole gunwale flexs with the rigger. Not good long term. Big Johns are also a good choice because the arms flex with weight, taking the strain off the gunwale.IMO

It’s a good idea to check the fasteners used to secure the rod holders.  If they are screws, a change to a nut/bolt fastener along with washer and backer should help protect things.  I had a buddy have a gimbal mount pull loose and he ended up having to add bracing to secure it better.  Worth checking how the rod holders are installed.

When I trailer down the road I tie the 2 riggers together from side to side to secure them & they don't wobble or bounce around as much. Also X2 on checking the nut/bolt fasteners once in awhile. Preventive maintenance never hurts.

Edited by lineman49