Fishhook removal Trick

Problem comes when you are solo and the hook is in your hand or wrist. I once had Rapala hook in my shoulder fishing solo without a shirt on. Asked a guy at launch to take needle nosed pliers and bring the hook back through skin so barb exposed and then cut the barb. He said " I think I'm going to be sick":lol: so I loaded my boat on trailer and went to E/R. I said to nurse "this is a little embarrassing"  and she said. Oh this is nothing....we had a guy in here about a half hour ago that had a treble hook embedded in his butt and we had to cut his pants off to remove it" :lol: I left feeling a bit better.

• Like 1

I had one in my thumb last week and a good pair of plyers + some creative use of several languages got it out for me.

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 2

Good topic ! Do what works for you but what worked for me was spraying the skin with " Quick Start " which is ether [ acts as a local anesthetic ] ; the hook may be just pulled out with fishing tools [ no different than the method in the video with the fishing line ] . Less tissue damage by making a small incision in the skin around the hook then the hook will come out easier !

Wash the wound with soap and water [ you always was your hands with Ivory soap before handling tackle to remove human scent don't you ? ] apply any topical wound dressing in your boat first aid kit

Consider your tetanus immune status ; may by a good time to up date your immunity . If the wound looks like it may become infected see the doctor !

• 2 weeks later...

"It won't hurt too much" LOL, I think I heard my Dentist say that once!

" Less tissue damage by making a small incision in the skin around the hook then the hook will come out easier ! "  Don't you have to be an MD to make an "incision"?

I have had great luck removing and having hooks removed using the fish line method, but generally using smaller, lighter wire hooks than the irons on Magnum spoons.  The method is improved if a second hand is employed in pinching the entry wound to make it oval shaped and allow the barb to exit without catching the skin (as much).  I think the line works better than pliers because you don't want to mess around with this, and have to repeat the anticipation, and the pliers can slip off the hook shank, 50 lb won't do that.   And as Ska8man points out, if you are alone, you are SOL.