Legacy -The 2019 Season-

Legacy

Looks like the 8 that showed up in late season is still alive and around! Tommy has been working with one of our labs on finding sheds. Dog seems to love it.
Would love to get his sheds. He could be pretty awesome next year. Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 3

11 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Looks like the 8 that showed up in late season is still alive and around! Tommy has been working with one of our labs on finding sheds. Dog seems to love it.
Would love to get his sheds. He could be pretty awesome next year. Adjustments.JPG

That deer is slightly broken.......which means there is a buck out there willing to tangle with him.  I should help you look for him.  

• Like 2

Sorry it has taken me so long to post but I haven’t had the time since I got home.

So as you know by now, no luck in Ohio. This trip is my first out of state paid hunt I have ever been on and I certainly had no idea what to expect. I had a bunch of places suggested but I picked Ohio because of their late muzzleloader season. LOU member MeanMachine recommended Southern Ohio Outfitters and after Facebook stalking their page for a month I decided to book with them. FYI MeanMachine’s daughter shot a buck there during the youth season in 2019 and is headed back again in 2020!

http://southernohiooutfitters.com/

https://www.facebook.com/southernohiooutfitters/

Ill break down the experience a bit for you guys…

Muzzleloader season is four days (Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday) and “check in” was on Friday afternoon. The lodge is a nice “Amish built” log cabin. 12 hunters stayed there 4 days and 5 nights with 3 guys per room. It was a bit crowded but I got over my lack of personal space fairly quick. The hunters there were from NY, PA, MS, and MI and were all great guys. 3 of us had never been there and the 9 others were all returning customers. All but 1 of them had shot a deer there before. All meals were provided and we had a cook on site for both lunch and dinner. Breakfast we were on our own but there was plenty in the kitchen to eat.

As I said there were 12 hunters there. There were also 4 guides and we were each assigned to a guide. Our guides literally drove us to the property we were hunting and direct us on where stands and blinds were. All the blinds and stands are flagged with orange tape so a look on the huntstand app and some quick directions and we were sent on our way.

In the four days there I hunted three different sets.

One was a tower blind with a hell of a view. A new black plastic blind stuck on a pressure treated platform 12’ off the ground. You can see a lot farther then you could ever shoot in this thing. Although in the middle of a field it was a travel corridor from the lower woods to the upper woods with numerous draws leading up to the bottom. Added bonus was a mineral site and corn feeder directly next to the upper woods.

The only tree stand I hunted was a 22’ millennium ladder stand (wow are they comfortable)! It was on the very top of a hickory and oak ridge leading from bedding to food (food plot, mineral site, corn pile).

The third set was another blind. Wooden, handmade, and on the ground. It sat on a food plot forty yards from the mineral site and corn pile.

I hunted every day from 6 to about 11 or 12 took a lunch break and was back in the woods from 2 or so until dark. If conditions would have been different I would have chosen to hunt all day. In the end I saw close to 30 deer from stand including 5 bucks. Every morning on the road we seem to see bucks and of course it was in the dark, in the fields. Cameras in hind sight really showed deer we wanted to see were on their feet and hour before sunrise and an hour after sunset. The bucks are there but they just weren’t showing themselves in daylight. I really didn’t expect too much from morning sits and literally I bumped deer walking in every morning. Afternoons are certainly the bet for the time of year and provided more sightings than the mornings. I think in total 7 or 8 possible shooters were seen and only one buck was killed (11pt= 140s). Keep in mind there is a 130”+ rule in affect. Weather certainly didn’t help the hunting. Day one was warm and raining but gave us the most sightings for mature deer. The next three days were high 20S at sunrise and mid 40s at dusk, high pressure, and sunny.

There of course were things that I thought I would do different but what the hell do I know. The last sit I was planning/directed on hunting the tower blind. I had seen 20+ deer already from there but nothing worth shooting. I asked the guide... one last sit... where do YOU go? One last opportunity… for the year… where do you place your bet? He said “I would go to the food plot”. So I hunted the food plot instead and that would be the only influence I had on choosing hunting spots.

Love the hunting ground. It was all pretty impressive. Add that with agriculture, food plots, corn feeders, mineral sites and it makes it incredible. Everything I hunt is dead flat so its great to see land contour come into plays with draws, benches, ridges, ect. That area of Ohio reminds me of the area around the 9H area that I spent a lot of time hunting in the past. 

It was fun. Expensive for sure but fun. I can see myself going back. Dave Lusk is the owner and I think he really does a great job. There is always room for improvement on the non hunting side of things. Like I said this was my first out of state hunt so I really didn’t know what to expect. Im already looking to book something somewhere in 2020. Im not sure if it will be there or I have some buddies looking to book a bear hunt in Maine. We will have to see.

• Like 2

This is a picture of a buck that was on the "hit list" that was a frequent visitor to my foodplot/ mineral site. Note the stump in the picture is the mineral site and it is in the middle of a small kill plot. 

No photo description available.

Image may contain: outdoor

Rob, thanks for sharing your experience. That’s a heavy return of guys I would say. Did they see anything? Did they tag out previous trips? Seems somewhat a low ratio of take for that many but it may be other influences like you mentioned. Did they do well early season or during rut? Pricing wise doesn’t seem bad for lodging and food. Again thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

13 minutes ago, Frogger said:

Rob, thanks for sharing your experience. That’s a heavy return of guys I would say. Did they see anything? Did they tag out previous trips? Seems somewhat a low ratio of take for that many but it may be other influences like you mentioned. Did they do well early season or during rut? Pricing wise doesn’t seem bad for lodging and food. Again thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I believe 9 out of 12 guys were previous customers. Some of these guys had been there 3 times or more. One of the guys mentioned that his son killed a 160+ and his stepson killed a 140+ there on different youth hunts. Everyone saw deer but only 5 of us saw a potential shooter. The only guy to connect actually had his pick between a big 8 and the 11 pt he shot. From wah ti was told, the best week they had there was during the time around the snow storm. The same snow storm that dumped 12"+ around my area and smacked most of the NE. December 9-12ish? Yeah i mean with everything included the price doesnt seem as bad. I could have easily spent a $1000-1200 on 4 days of hunting public land.

I believe 9 out of 12 guys were previous customers. Some of these guys had been there 3 times or more. One of the guys mentioned that his son killed a 160+ and his stepson killed a 140+ there on different youth hunts. Everyone saw deer but only 5 of us saw a potential shooter. The only guy to connect actually had his pick between a big 8 and the 11 pt he shot. From wah ti was told, the best week they had there was during the time around the snow storm. The same snow storm that dumped 12"+ around my area and smacked most of the NE. December 9-12ish? Yeah i mean with everything included the price doesnt seem as bad. I could have easily spent a $1000-1200 on 4 days of hunting public land.

That’s a high return rate of past hunters which I would think means a good place to be at. With almost half of the group seeing potential shooters I’d say is a good number as well. I’m looking to set up a trip for a rut hunt just haven’t decided but this place seems on the list. Makes a difference too with being with friends / family vs by yourself as well from getting settled in I’m sure.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

That’s a high return rate of past hunters which I would think means a good place to be at. With almost half of the group seeing potential shooters I’d say is a good number as well. I’m looking to set up a trip for a rut hunt just haven’t decided but this place seems on the list. Makes a difference too with being with friends / family vs by yourself as well from getting settled in I’m sure.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Agreed. The amount of return customers spoke volumes with me. Most of those guys have done hunts elsewhere. Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, ect.

On a side note, my wife thought it was funny that I could go there without knowing anyone there. She sees it as a vacation. I explained to her that it's no vacation. It's hunting. I never even left the lodge to go anywhere but to my hunting spots.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, Legacy said:

Agreed. The amount of return customers spoke volumes with me. Most of those guys have done hunts elsewhere. Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, ect.

On a side note, my wife thought it was funny that I could go there without knowing anyone there. She sees it as a vacation. I explained to her that it's no vacation. It's hunting. I never even left the lodge to go anywhere but to my hunting spots.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

LMAO I do it all the time March I go on the annual hog hunt I put together with 25 guys I'd never met before now we are good friends

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

I’d be careful in Mexico, you may be the one that gets hunted.

Mexico would be the LAST place I'd be going even with an M-16

• Like 1