Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MINNOWNITE

cracked block help!!

Purchased boat in spring 2019. Used all summer and ran well aside form a water leak i thought was coming from the exhaust manifold. So waited till now to deal with it. Removed engine. Removed manifold. No leak...Ok must be headgasket... removed it ...didnt suspect anything. Had a mechanic look at it to give me some advice before reasembly and found the block cracked! pretty bad too. So...how to repair? JB WELD? Machine shop? find a doner block? Biggest issue im having is that the engine runs great! aside from this water leak... 1990 omc 3.0L crack.thumb.jpg.56ff4af00d51b74d5d47dad9f7ff9293.jpg

Minnownite, This happened to my neighbor a few years ago.  He needed help since he couldn't get or afford another block at the time.   

While pulling the motor, we also found that the soft plug was pushed out by the flywheel.  My fix was, reset soft plug, used big socket to hammer back in.  As for the crack, I drilled 1/32 hole in the ends (Not all the way through) thinking it would stop any further cracking.  Then I used a die grinder to produce a good V Groove.  Cleaned with acetone well and applied JB weld in 3 different coats with 24 hour cure time.  In between each coat I scuffed up with 80 grit to get a good bond.  The motor was put back in and had zero leaking, ran awesome that whole summer. To my knowledge he is still fishing the Big O with it.  

@Bigmoose2 Thanks for the story! my frost plug also pushed out behind the flywheel. The flywheel was keeping it in just enough to not cause a big water leak lol. I think i will go with that method. I dont have much to loose anyway. 

I am assuming a bad winterization. The previous owner only had it for 1 year and didnt seem to know much about it. Either he was very good at sounding like an idiot or he was. 

[mention=142241]rolmops[/mention] do you have contact info? also where is he located? im in london ontario

He is one of the moderators on this forum. He goes by L&M. He is in Port Bay (Wolcott NY)about 2 hours east of Buffalo, so that puts you at about 4 hours. 

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

12 minutes ago, rolmops said:

He is one of the moderators on this forum. He goes by L&M. He is about 2 hours east of Buffalo, so that puts you at about 4 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

How do i search users? i tried in the search bar but nothing came up

I've been in contact with Mick @ kraushaar machine shop in Tillsonburg. I would be able to get a brand new short block for $1200 plus shipping. Install new bearings. Old pistons with new rings. new gaskets. Should be under $2000 and a full new engine! So i'm currently exploring that avenue. Thanks for all the advice guys!