Moving a Boat

tyell1

Probably need a permit for Ohio ,Pennsylvania and New York , if your going the legal route. If boat doesn't have a trailer I know a guy that does it part time and has the permits. NY permits are 50- 75.00 . You could Google it and get someone to get all the permits for you ,which might cost you another 75.00. What is the beam at the transom ? That's usually the spot where a trooper would measure . I break the law and move my over width boat (10' ) on a Saturday or Sunday and have a pick up follow me for the 35 mile ride ,have yet to be stopped and many times have driven by Troopers and Sheriffs cars. But that's me. 

Probably need a permit for Ohio ,Pennsylvania and New York , if your going the legal route. If boat doesn't have a trailer I know a guy that does it part time and has the permits. NY permits are 50- 75.00 . You could Google it and get someone to get all the permits for you ,which might cost you another 75.00. What is the beam at the transom ? That's usually the spot where a trooper would measure . I break the law and move my over width boat (10' ) on a Saturday or Sunday and have a pick up follow me for the 35 mile ride ,have yet to be stopped and many times have driven by Troopers and Sheriffs cars. But that's me. 

The boat is actually just inside Michigan above Toledo, so I guess I will be looking at Ohio and New York just not sure how strict enforcement is on towing a boat in the Great Lakes areas

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The paperwork when I did it needed info for trailer and tow vehicle . Distance between axles on trailer  , then distance to rear axle on truck and or distance to front axle. Overall length of set up , capacity of axles and tires also comes to mind. Then you are restricted to usually daylight hours and sometimes not allowed to tow on weekends or near big cities during certain times of the day.They may require your tow route as well and a over width sign to hang on the transom . We had one for the front of the truck , but took it off after the engine started to overheat due to lack of air hitting the radiator.