Jump to content

New(to me) boat - what would you look for? 10-13k range


Recommended Posts

Dan, I'm in a similar situation as you. Currently got a 16' but am looking to upsize eventually too. Due to this, I keep an eye out for cuddy's and such and saw this one: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/391070011880426/. It's outside my budget and is a bit older style than you were looking for, but newer motor and kicker would make me feel more comfortable on the lake. Best of luck on the search! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mikeyman104 said:

Dan, I'm in a similar situation as you. Currently got a 16' but am looking to upsize eventually too. Due to this, I keep an eye out for cuddy's and such and saw this one: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/391070011880426/. It's outside my budget and is a bit older style than you were looking for, but newer motor and kicker would make me feel more comfortable on the lake. Best of luck on the search! 

Thanks - I saw that one too, trying to find a newer hull - not alot in our area right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UNREEL said:

$3500-4000 for a new trailer. Clean looking and well maintained boat, however the owner did say if he was keeping the boat he would probably re-power. Hmm :shake:

 

Yea I talked to him because that sounded off to me as well. He said his wife doesn't like the smell of the 2 stroke, she wants a 4 stroke.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a very similar Grady White. I have a 1995 Adventure 208 with a 1995 Johnson 200 Ocean Runner and a Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke kicker

 

I have owned the boat since 2008. Been a great boat. I thought about repowering but the motor has been flawless, yes it smokes at the dock but once you get going thats all behind you.

 

The only thing about not having a trailer is not getting one, its the fact that its probably docked all season (unless its in a rack and launch) and if it has been in the water like that most of its life I would have a survey done on it (but I would suggest that anyway). One thing to look at is the transom cap. its just an aluminum cap and water can get into the transom through it if its not in perfect shape (mine is thankfully)

 

I would not hesitate to consider that Grady. But then I am partial to them ;)

Edited by Michigan Brian
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Michigan Brian said:

I have a very similar Grady White. I have a 1995 Adventure 208 with a 1995 Johnson 200 Ocean Runner and a Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke kicker

 

I have owned the boat since 2008. Been a great boat. I thought about repowering but the motor has been flawless, yes it smokes at the dock but once you get going thats all behind you.

 

The only thing about not having a trailer is not getting one, its the fact that its probably docked all season (unless its in a rack and launch) and if it has been in the water like that most of its life I would have a survey done on it (but I would suggest that anyway). One thing to look at is the transom cap. its just an aluminum cap and water can get into the transom through it if its not in perfect shape (mine is thankfully)

 

I would not hesitate to consider that Grady. But then I am partial to them ;)

If it had a trailer I think it would be sold already

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Michigan Brian said:

Looks nice but it's really old and that doghouse would be a deal breaker for me. I had a boat with one not as big as that I didn't think it would be a problem but I ended up hating it and sold that boat. 

What didn’t you like about the doghouse?

Link to post
Share on other sites
That is not a lot of money for a boat turn key and is sizable . Anything older than 15  years and you could have potential big money problems . That being said , good luck with it . 
 
There is a new Marina opening up some time in the future on Sandy . 
 
 
You could be my neighbor ! 

I’ve heard that before....hahaha


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites

We went to a meeting about him getting approvals . 

 

Apparently the channel issue has been straightened out . 

 

Guy seem like a nice guy and serious about it . 

 

I'd be surprised  If there are not boats  there this spring . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went and looked at a 1989 Chapparel that looked very clean, owner was original for 30 yrs - surveyor found too much moisture/rot in the transom, stringers were rotting, and bulkhead was rotted. Oh well, guess that's why we pay someone to survey.

Anyhow, I'm really trying to find something that I can hold onto for the next 10-15yrs and have my son take a more active part of the care - what do you think I'll realistically have to spend to find something solid that will last (I am diligent about maintenance and care - and that's why I want to find something clean that someone hasn't beat the **** out of and left it outside all the time).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Michigan Brian said:

Sorry to hear that but not surprised.

 

I think your budget is fine. I would look for boats that have not been slipped. There are plenty of them out there, just takes time. I drove 8 hours one way to buy my Grady.

 

You will find one.

The issue with the long drive is if I wanted to have a survey done, I'd have to find someone local to that area I suppose. Did you have yours surveyed?

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the boat demand this season due to Covid, it might be a good time to let the dust settle and see if used boat prices come down.  If you want to read up on how crazy it has been there are several threads on the Hull Truth site.  Likely you will have to travel - Western Ohio and Michigan tend to have more used boats than our area especially if you are looking for freshwater only. IMO if you want something to keep 10 or 15 years then you want 2000 or newer.  Something turn key, clean and with low hours in a 21 to 23 w/cabin in those years likely way over your current budget.  Getting a surveyor outside the area isn’t hard, just don’t hire one recommended by dealer or seller.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mr 580 said:

With the boat demand this season due to Covid, it might be a good time to let the dust settle and see if used boat prices come down.  If you want to read up on how crazy it has been there are several threads on the Hull Truth site.  Likely you will have to travel - Western Ohio and Michigan tend to have more used boats than our area especially if you are looking for freshwater only. IMO if you want something to keep 10 or 15 years then you want 2000 or newer.  Something turn key, clean and with low hours in a 21 to 23 w/cabin in those years likely way over your current budget.  Getting a surveyor outside the area isn’t hard, just don’t hire one recommended by dealer or seller.

That's kind of what I have been thinking. I think I might be better off with a newer 21' compared to a slightly older 23' for the money. I've been looking on FB marketplace and Craigslist. Probably going to up my budget to 15-18k

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, whaler1 said:

Boston Whaler
Edgewater
Robalo


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I was thinking Hydrasports, Proline, Seaswirl, Trophy or Angler for the no wood construction - I havent done any research on Edgewater or Robalo, and I think whaler is going to be out of my price range

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...