Winterization

TBRMAX

Welcome to the Northeast. I have an outboard and I usually go until the end of October. Sometimes we have a fairly warm fall and some times it starts to crap out by the third week October. Once the temperature starts to be forecast to dip below freezing for a few nights in a row is  when I surrender for winter.  Some great fishing can be had up until then

lost a lure is correct though. Make sure you drain all the water out and you're usually good to go.  Im move on from lake fishing  to whitetails and steelhead in the Great lakes tributaries for late fall/winter. Maybe one of these years I'll join the Frostbite Fleet 😁

I put my boat away the third week in october.you can use an outboard all winter. just tilt the motor all the way down right after taking it out of the launch and let all the water drain out, winterize the livewells and then plug them off so no water can get in. 

Duck hunters run their outboards into January.  The biggest hurdle is the launch getting icy.  Some will simply tip the motor all the way down before it freezes as soon as they pull the trailer out.  Some will have a buddy keep the motor running at idle until it just exits the water on the trailer and then shut it down.  Modern outboards gravity drain really well.

12 hours ago, cinnamon fish said:

I fish all winter on my boat with an outboard.  I make sure all the water drains out of the motor and boat each time.  Never had a problem so far.

I fished right through winters on Seneca for about 20 years with my previous boat (outboard) just have to make sure to thoroughly drain it each time afterward (right at the ramp).I also kept the lower unit is a completely downward position and kept a garbage bag over the prop with a bungi cord

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1