Jump to content

Observations from the Water - 4/25/2021


Recommended Posts

great pics but your posts seem less like a fishing report and more like a link to your site geared to get you more charters.
 
either way i sure do love salmon pics

That’s a fair observation, Kevin. I try to strike a balance since those Observations go out through all my social media outlets as well as to newsletters to all my clients. I spend too much time on the water to develop separate reports for each venue. With respect to LOU and LEU, I realize that pretty much everyone on here has their own boat and gets after it on their own so I’m hoping if anyone on here wants more info - they can comment or message me. Thanks for reading!


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will preface this as I believe Lake Ontario United is a resource for fishermen to ask questions and help each other catch fish. There are many great Captains who could flood this site with advertisements and links, but is that what we are really looking for? Most of us who use this site are not looking to book a trip, we are trying to utilize the resource to educate ourselves to produce results on the water. Lake Ontario United is a great site with awesome members, hopefully it doesn’t become a marketplace.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dad with Twin boys said:

I will preface this as I believe Lake Ontario United is a resource for fishermen to ask questions and help each other catch fish. There are many great Captains who could flood this site with advertisements and links, but is that what we are really looking for? Most of us who use this site are not looking to book a trip, we are trying to utilize the resource to educate ourselves to produce results on the water. Lake Ontario United is a great site with awesome members, hopefully it doesn’t become a marketplace.

Well put

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course these are great pictures and I don’t think anyone indicated that this post was advertised as or expected to provide every detail about how to catch fish. I can certainly respect any person to reach more people to expand the customer demographic exposure to increase business.There are several very successful charter captains who have FB and You Tube videos to reach more customers. However, I think in my small opinion the information would be well received on a different platform like FB. Again, that is ONLY my opinion and I appreciate when the fishermen have helped me with questions or just by researching old posts. There is a lot of knowledge in this group and very much appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I appreciate a report in any form that it comes. Not to mention that any time i’ve seen Brookdog at the boat ramp he’s been happy to give me the most recent info and tips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the constructive feedback. Unlike on Facebook or the other outlets all people would be doing is casting hate.

As a guy that’s on the water near daily, I’m all about providing info on whatever I see to help others. Sure, I’m a captain and take people out all the time but I don’t consider myself an expert - I don’t know what an expert is when it comes to dealing with Mother Nature.

After re-reading my post - I’m trying to figure out what makes it seem like a promo - the last sentence? Where I’m encouraging folks to book trips if they haven’t already? Like I said before - that doesn’t apply to people on this forum - you all have your own boats so you aren’t going to book me anyway. I’m not trying to sell you on booking me - I’m trying to provide helpful info so if it isn’t helpful - let me know what else you want to know but try to recognize that a small part of what’s in my posts are directed to a larger audience outside of LOU. I don’t have the time to edit content for every platform so I hope you understand and can ignore what isn’t relevant to you.

Does it seem like a sales pitch because it’s a link to my site and not a direct post of 800+ words and dozens of images to this page? As I mentioned before - this platform isn’t conducive to posting a lot of content in a single post - it takes forever to load a couple images let alone dozens. So I guess if you think it’s problematic/unsightly scroll past and don’t click.

Bottom line - I want to provide useful content to help the community of anglers and be at least a little entertaining at the same time. If you think I’m accomplishing neither - please let me know how to improve/what else you want to know.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMHO, any information is good information. Since captains are on the water more than most of us, they tend to have a good feel for what's going on. And I appreciate that time is money, so I don't mind a link rather than a full screen of pictures and a report (which I don't mind either). I get Les's perspective, the personal touch is nice, but up-to-date intel is paramount, even if it amounts to a weather report and hero pics. A guy can't give away all of his secrets lol...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, BrookdogFishingCo said:

Thanks for all the constructive feedback. Unlike on Facebook or the other outlets all people would be doing is casting hate.

As a guy that’s on the water near daily, I’m all about providing info on whatever I see to help others. Sure, I’m a captain and take people out all the time but I don’t consider myself an expert - I don’t know what an expert is when it comes to dealing with Mother Nature.

After re-reading my post - I’m trying to figure out what makes it seem like a promo - the last sentence? Where I’m encouraging folks to book trips if they haven’t already? Like I said before - that doesn’t apply to people on this forum - you all have your own boats so you aren’t going to book me anyway. I’m not trying to sell you on booking me - I’m trying to provide helpful info so if it isn’t helpful - let me know what else you want to know but try to recognize that a small part of what’s in my posts are directed to a larger audience outside of LOU. I don’t have the time to edit content for every platform so I hope you understand and can ignore what isn’t relevant to you.

Does it seem like a sales pitch because it’s a link to my site and not a direct post of 800+ words and dozens of images to this page? As I mentioned before - this platform isn’t conducive to posting a lot of content in a single post - it takes forever to load a couple images let alone dozens. So I guess if you think it’s problematic/unsightly scroll past and don’t click.

Bottom line - I want to provide useful content to help the community of anglers and be at least a little entertaining at the same time. If you think I’m accomplishing neither - please let me know how to improve/what else you want to know.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The last section of your blog post is a direct pitch for booking a charter. That's probably what the other posters are referring to. 

 

If you read most reports on there, they give information on port, location (line #), depth, baits used, color, trolling speed, down temp, etc. Compared to other reports posted on the board, yours lacks in terms of actionable info, other than you caught a king and some lakers likely in the bar area.

 

Yankee Troller puts out some of the best reports on the board. Maybe check out his reports and compare them to yours.

 

I'm not criticizing you. Overall, I'm indifferent. I'm just explaining what others might be taking away from your post compared to the posts of other members. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let’s all catch some fish this year! I think everyone that offered their thoughts covered many viewpoints and let’s respect the post, everyone’s opinion or thoughts and move on. It’s obvious that his last post clearly expressed his intentions and he did offer some clarification. Also, I believe if anyone messaged him he would help. As for Yankee Troller, I have never met the man, but I can tell you he is extremely respected and everything he offers to the fishing community is valued.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The last section of your blog post is a direct pitch for booking a charter. That's probably what the other posters are referring to. 
 
If you read most reports on there, they give information on port, location (line #), depth, baits used, color, trolling speed, down temp, etc. Compared to other reports posted on the board, yours lacks in terms of actionable info, other than you caught a king and some lakers likely in the bar area.
 
Yankee Troller puts out some of the best reports on the board. Maybe check out his reports and compare them to yours.
 
I'm not criticizing you. Overall, I'm indifferent. I'm just explaining what others might be taking away from your post compared to the posts of other members. 


That’s exactly what I was looking for, Colin. I’ll be sure to post that info from now on.

For this last week - lakers and kings were caught on 4” chartreuse and gold spoons - I use moonshine lures but that doesn’t matter. Trolling speed was 2.5mph. Depths were 80-100. Area was between 4mile and 12 mile. I launch from Lewiston and Wilson - never any further east than that.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BrookdogFishingCo said:

 


That’s exactly what I was looking for, Colin. I’ll be sure to post that info from now on.

For this last week - lakers and kings were caught on 4” chartreuse and gold spoons - I use moonshine lures but that doesn’t matter. Trolling speed was 2.5mph. Depths were 80-100. Area was between 4mile and 12 mile. I launch from Lewiston and Wilson - never any further east than that.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

 

Right on. I fish out of Wilson so I’m sure I’ll see you out there. Tight lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i always enjoy the reports and pics, ryan adds a different (and refreshing) element by being humble and comedic. Good reads on his website too. He may not go into depth about presentation, locations, etc But considering everyone on here most likely has a boat and knows what they’re doing (more so than average joe) do we really need to read that he did better with spoons than F/F’s? Or that his riggers outperformed divers? programs right now are pretty much the same whoever you talk to or wherever you go and idk about you all but i never seem to do exactly what others did after hearing what worked - always a little different! i swear langlers are turning into a sensitive bunch and social media is just toxic now. and so what if he’s looking for customers? this is america...it’s how he eats...just keep scrolling 🤷‍♂️


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...