water fleas

• 2 weeks later...

super line braids are the worst for fleas, if you do not want to respool, use enough flea flicker or 30 lb ande to go from the rod down to the ball at least. The line that runs vertical down to the ball is the most likely to get large flea infestation. I have gone from braid off the rod and reel to FF or ande down to the ball and back to flouro for the lead off the ball. This requires a lot of splice knots like the albright and be sure to trim any loose ends tight to the knot or you get fleas on the knot. Also FF is not very knot friendly, so be careful to tie the knots very intricately. That is good for your downriggers, now for dipsey rigs just use the 30 lb ande if you stick with mono, but for depth and no fleas use wire, copper or stainless, they get the job done. You will be fine till the water warms up to 70 or so. some areas get worse than others at first.

Mark

I have fished with Maxima for nine of the 10 years that I've fished the lake. I don't know what it was with the big game. I bought 1 bulk spool last year and didn't have good luck with it. You could be right Tim, it might have been a bad batch.

hey skipper 19 how do you not get fleas on your wire? its the only setup that gets LOTS of fleas for me. I pull it every 30 mins when the fleas show up

Thumbburn, I have only gone on the info from friends who use seven strand stainless malin wire. They tell me that the wire does not get fleas as "bad" as braid or mono of small diameter and that while reeling it in it "saws" the fleas off as it is retrieved. As for experience with wire, I run only copper rigs 150 , 300, and 600 ft., and never have fleas on it because of the larger diameter than Malin steel. I do sometimes run dipsys off the copper, and it works good for depth just as steel does but I get ZERO fleas with the copper, only where there is a rough knot or some snag in the main copper line, does it ever collect fleas.

Mark