Best Place to Buy Ammo

idn713

Hey guys, just wondering if you had a go to spot for buying ammo around the Monroe county area. I know the big box stores have a bad selection nowadays with shortages but are there some out of the way gun shops that have a decent stock? Just asking cause I have been looking high and low for .204 ammo and can’t find any around the area. Thanks in advance. 

Ya, everything is hard to find. The silly thing is there should not be any shortage. This is similar to stores running out of toilet paper last year because everyone thought there would be a shortage so they bought extra. The owner of Hornady was on a podcast the other day and messaged that they are making ammo as fast as they can. There is no government conspiracy or restrictions keeping them from distributing ammo, it is just fear driven gluttony where people are buying in bulk and stockpiling. I am looking at buying a Savage 220 and am lamenting the search for 3” 20 gauge Remington Accutip slugs. The company that owns Federal ammo, purchased Remington ammo and hopefully supply will soon match demand. 

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/may/27/ammo-booming-vista-outdoor-says/

Edited by Gill-T

Hey guys, just wondering if you had a go to spot for buying ammo around the Monroe county area. I know the big box stores have a bad selection nowadays with shortages but are there some out of the way gun shops that have a decent stock? Just asking cause I have been looking high and low for .204 ammo and can’t find any around the area. Thanks in advance. 
Try the clarendon gunshop...he dosent open until 5pm 585 794 0276

Sent from my LM-V450 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This has taught me two things:

1) When prices are low and product is available (like 3 years ago), buy buy buy

2) The next rifle/cartridge(s) to purchase.  Over the last two years, there always seemed to be two in stock when nothing else was 350 Legend and 6 Creed.  Both will handle any game in the lower 48.

That being said, best thing to do is be a regular at LGS, talk to the workers/owner and be consistent.  Things are coming back quickly.  I'm an hour west of you, but I'll keep a lookout for .204

15 minutes ago, orangediablo said:

This has taught me two things:

1) When prices are low and product is available (like 3 years ago), buy buy buy

2) The next rifle/cartridge(s) to purchase.  Over the last two years, there always seemed to be two in stock when nothing else was 350 Legend and 6 Creed.  Both will handle any game in the lower 48.

That being said, best thing to do is be a regular at LGS, talk to the workers/owner and be consistent.  Things are coming back quickly.  I'm an hour west of you, but I'll keep a lookout for .204

Yah, I was looking for a flat shooting specialty varmint gun. I don't want to damage fur and I want velocity that can overcome some distance shooting across fields. I love the 204 and I knew I was getting into a spot where ammo would be hard to find but I didn't think it would be this stupid for this long. When prices were low I got tons of 22 and 556. Still years later I haven't even though about buying those rounds which has been very nice. 

6 minutes ago, idn713 said:

Yah, I was looking for a flat shooting specialty varmint gun. I don't want to damage fur and I want velocity that can overcome some distance shooting across fields. I love the 204 and I knew I was getting into a spot where ammo would be hard to find but I didn't think it would be this stupid for this long. When prices were low I got tons of 22 and 556. Still years later I haven't even though about buying those rounds which has been very nice. 

If you reload, or get into it, 20 Prac is the way to go.  Similar to 204 and super easy to reload for.  Neck down 223 case and done.  Depending on bullet, can get anywhere from 3-4000fps with little/no pelt damage.

6 minutes ago, orangediablo said:

If you reload, or get into it, 20 Prac is the way to go.  Similar to 204 and super easy to reload for.  Neck down 223 case and done.  Depending on bullet, can get anywhere from 3-4000fps with little/no pelt damage.

Lol I would love to get into reloading but I looked into it and dang..... to realistically get into the game its like a 1k plus for the items you really need. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, idn713 said:

Lol I would love to get into reloading but I looked into it and dang..... to realistically get into the game its like a 1k plus for the items you really need. 

No way.  Presses can be had for under $100, same with powder measures/scales (or both in 1), calipers $50.  Those are your big ticket items.  The rest are dies and components, and that all depends on how many cartridges you want to load for.  Initial cost is a bit, but can get it much cheaper than you think.  Shoot me a message if you have any questions.  Don't want your thread going too far sideways

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty59 said:

Agree on the economies of reloading except you can't find PRIMERs and powder is hit and miss.  So if you have everything available I support going for it!  IF you know who has a good supply of primers, please do tell!

Thanks

Marty 

I've picked up a few thousand SRP and LRP.  Easiest way is to hit up online sites and get notifications.  BIG downside is cost.  You'll get hit by premium prices, shipping AND HAZMAT fees.  Luckily, in the shops I frequent, powder has steadily been coming back....just not the ones I need.

• Like 1

shipping primers is the issue they have to go Hazmat. I know a guy (lol) that has about 10k primers, we shoot skeet/trap together, I'll ask if he wants to sell any. 

OK, I just talk to him Federal 209A, $100 per thousand, 5,000 available. no shipping, western NY

PM me if interested

Edited by scobar