What size are the Shakers right now

We got into them off I-Bay last week several times. Similar sizes as Brian said. If you’re not staring at the rod when they bite you end up dragging them. 

• Like 1

Excellent input, thank you!  Any one else out there have any observations?

This is the answer to what my next question was going to be  Lots around compared to past years. This might suggest wild king reproduction was higher than average last year. 

Survey boats are still trying to figure out the puzzle of whether it is feasible (or efficient) to index age-0 salmon abundance in the fall.  

The small ones we were catching during the spring LOC were 1-3 lbs that I assume were 1.5 yrs old. The 5-12 lbers we caught were probably 2.5 yrs old and the 12-20 lbers were probably  3.5 yrs old. We caught no fish over 20 lbs. Seeing that there does not appear to be a shortage of bait, I would assume we were catching mostly wild fish that didn’t get the jump start in life with food pellets. We could use some otolith data IMO. 

Last year seemed to be a good year for survival. I started catching these small kings last fall and also caught a ton of small browns. Given that last year was our peak low for king stocking numbers, logically you would think there would be less small salmon around. I feel that the environmental conditions can sometimes be more important then the number of fish stocked when it comes to overall numbers that survive. For instance, last year we had a huge crop of 2020 YOY alewife around which could have helped alleviate predation on our stocked fish by cormorants and other fish. I know in years of clear, cold water in the spring that stocked browns get pretty decimated.  Anybody know preliminary results on the bait trawls from this year? Interested to see how last years YOY made out. 

Edited by Sweet Caroline,A-Lure-A

• 2 weeks later...

A lure a: if you don’t mind, where in the lake were you catching the small kings in the fall? west or east end, was there a depth where they were common?

Trawl survey saw abundant bait in some areas but not everywhere but definitely  plenty of the 2020YC! The numbers are being crunched and fish being aged right now, data and reports should be out by early August.

thanks for the info on the small kings, we are most interested where folks encounter the age 0 Kings (the small 6-12” ones) in September .

Also I like the idea that having lots of age 1 Alewife buffer kings, seems logical. 

Small kings were in with browns I-bay to Webster Park last September.  40-60 fow. They were in the 6 to 8 inch range. Caught a dozen or so throughout the month in that area. All released as gently as possible. Hope that helps. 

Edited by Sweet Caroline,A-Lure-A
  • Like 1

When I first started thinking about where the 80 fish would be I was thinking east end cause of Salmon R, but we are gathering bits of data suggesting the always popular adage “west is best”, might apply to age 0 salmonids too.

#studyjuvenilefish

Was out on saturday north shore near Cobourg and can confirm what Gill-T reports, lots of bait with few hooks and lots of shakers. bait was loaded from 30 to 100 fow.  Riggers were shaking multiple times when running through the bait, did get two nice fish in the 20# range, should be back out Thursday.