I Just Got Ripped Off

I tried to get some reels on LOU and i thought i was dealing with the owner of these reels and sent 600$ thru paypal. Come to find out it was not the owner. I should have been suspicious when they said they could only text. Then they tried 2 emails for paypal to send and only one worked. They wanted a confirmation pic to see i sent it, which makes sense to me. They were checking to see if it was sent and i never hear back. Then i just got a call from the owner who has no idea what i am talking about. WTF, Dirty rotten bastards that do this stuff should go to hell. If they spent their time doing something constructive they might be something. Hopefully paypal will do something to help. I have already filed the case. Just BEWARE !!!

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, brucehookedup said:

I tried to get some reels on LOU and i thought i was dealing with the owner of these reels and sent 600$ thru paypal. Come to find out it was not the owner. I should have been suspicious when they said they could only text. Then they tried 2 emails for paypal to send and only one worked. They wanted a confirmation pic to see i sent it, which makes sense to me. They were checking to see if it was sent and i never hear back. Then i just got a call from the owner who has no idea what i am talking about. WTF, Dirty rotten bastards that do this stuff should go to hell. If they spent their time doing something constructive they might be something. Hopefully paypal will do something to help. I have already filed the case. Just BEWARE !!!

That sucks.  Freaken thieves. Was the add bogus and they hacked the owners account or did they contact you about the reels using a text about a legit add?

Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear this.

Same applies for want to buy adds. I have 1 up now and all replies have been from SCAMMERS!! They reply thru P.M. and say its for a friend that has what i'm looking for, sure sure!

Hope you get your MONEY back and they catch this POS!

I've heard that PayPal won't refund monies sent through friends and families, since there's no way to chase down the truth of the matter. Unfortunately, it makes sense. While it sucks for you, it may serve as a caution other folks. If you use PayPal, it should be set up as a legitimate transaction for goods or services rendered. Yeah, they will have to pay a bit more in "fees", but consider it insurance. The same applies to using any online system such as Venmo, where peer-to-peer transfer is instant. And be very careful in linking your bank account to any of these services. If hackers get in, they could wipe you out, and you have limited protections. If you link a credit card instead, then there's a cap on what they can take, and the credit card protection for unauthorized transactions kicks in. 

Scammers suck. I do hope that there is some resolution for you.

Sorry about your issue Bruce. Lots of scamming going on with other payment networks like Zelle. I had 2 kayaks for sale on Facebook marketplace and almost got it stuck up you know where with a Zelle transaction. 

just for future reference if you're paying with pay pal have them agree to let you send the extra money so they can still get the full amount after pay pal gets its chunk out. never trust anyone for that amount of money. if they won't agree something sounds fishy.

I just bought a panther power tilt of a guy and he found out what pay pal was charging him and had me add that amount to what I was sending him. I still had to pay but I was able to make my payment and have the item on my payment and have pay pal coverage on it.

unless you have a lot of blind faith in all humanity always add the fee on your end so pay pal covers the transaction.

On 11/28/2022 at 5:44 PM, spoonfed-1 said:

That sucks.  Freaken thieves. Was the add bogus and they hacked the owners account or did they contact you about the reels using a text about a legit add?

Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear this.

I have run into situations like that.  Was looking for a hardtop for my Trophy 2052 and came across one online for sale.  They were copying and using the pictures from a reputable website.  Showed the boat with a hardtop on it in a marina and they said it was to soon be removed.  Of course it was a picture they got online.  I told them to send pictures of the hardtop removed from the boat and ready for shipment then we could discuss payment.  Of course, that turned into a negative response and confirmed my suspicions.  So, a quick check is to ask for more pictures of the item in a certain way.  If they cannot be provided, it is a scammer just using online pictures for an item they dont have.  Not a completely foolproof method but a good quick check.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sherman brown said:

just for future reference if you're paying with pay pal have them agree to let you send the extra money so they can still get the full amount after pay pal gets its chunk out. never trust anyone for that amount of money. if they won't agree something sounds fishy.

I just bought a panther power tilt of a guy and he found out what pay pal was charging him and had me add that amount to what I was sending him. I still had to pay but I was able to make my payment and have the item on my payment and have pay pal coverage on it.

unless you have a lot of blind faith in all humanity always add the fee on your end so pay pal covers the transaction.

Edited by muskie magnet