Ya know,

Its disheartening that nobody posts anything on the eastern basin any more.

I don't know, I'm down in CT.

But I end up calling Fat Nancy's and Whitakers for intel now when I'm contemplating a trip up.

It to mention the fact that June is a notoriously sloooow month in the eastern basin. LT aka mud chickens , will usually cooperate in 150 fow fishing cowbells and gambler rigs or spin n’ glows close to the bottom. Keep the speed below 2 mph  

To be perfectly  honest anyones fishing report dose not matter . Fishing conditions can change in a day or matter or hours. What’s hot in the monring can be done by afternoon by afternoon done the next monring . When you get the chance to fish go fishing and fish until you find what you’re looking for and repeat. I made 2 trips this spring so far one we struggled to put 10 fish in the boat in 3 days the next week doing the same thing the same spots we hooked  over 100 brown trout in 3 days of fishing . Everybody get along and post story’s and share memory’s and remember what fishing is about . It’s us against the fish not us against eachother . 

1 hour ago, Sean Teague said:

To be perfectly  honest anyones fishing report dose not matter . Fishing conditions can change in a day or matter or hours. What’s hot in the monring can be done by afternoon by afternoon done the next monring . When you get the chance to fish go fishing and fish until you find what you’re looking for and repeat. I made 2 trips this spring so far one we struggled to put 10 fish in the boat in 3 days the next week doing the same thing the same spots we hooked  over 100 brown trout in 3 days of fishing . Everybody get along and post story’s and share memory’s and remember what fishing is about . It’s us against the fish not us against eachother . 

Amen

I am down in VA and I joined LOU for the thrill of vicariously catching LO monsters via the posts here and reading all those “thrills of victory and agonies of defeat.”  I recently repurchased a 21 ft SeaRay that I will be refitting from a cuddly cabin day cruiser into my FL and LO fishing machine.  All the stories, mentoring, and life hacks offered here on LOU inspires and gets my fishing heart pumping.  Yes I live on a lake here in VA where any day of the week I can go fishing for landlocked stripers, hybrids, bass, and crappie, but there is nothing like hearing the drag whine as a big LO salmon, trout, or walleye strikes your bait.  So please keep the stories and reports coming.  As Sean points out the fishing can turn on a dime…besides most reports a are hours if not a day or so after the fact.  

• Like 2

I posted a Oswego report but fished mostly torwards Mexico brown trout we’re hitting really well from high rocks to catfish creek 55-80fow. There were tons on 2yr old salmon around out deep straight north of the plant 400-550 fow found a warm down temp and had non stop salmon action with a few bigger ones mixed in. Did not target lake trout at all 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting.
I do check this forum almost every day, just to look while having my coffee.

Its a 5 1/2 hour run to the lake, so I'm not up there often.

I hope to hit it again later this summer,

Being retired now I can cherry pick a couple days where the weather looks like it may cooperate,

Two years ago we came up for a week and ended up staying in the camp six out of seven days due to wind.

So I really appreciate any Mexico intel.

I watch the Bill Saiff daily reports for an idea of what is happening on the east end.   Unfortunately, depending on your boat size, you kind of need to fish the eastern end when lake O allows.  But it should be heating up in the next couple of weeks.  

Wrinkle star is spot on regarding appropriate weather watching for small boats.  Last year in May we spent a week on Henderson Bay with our 16 ft Tracker Laker DLX….we got about 21/2 days fishing as wind and T-storms cycled through the entire week.  Hence my repurchase/refit of my 1992 SeaRay 200OV into a FL/LO fishing platform.  Significant increase in stability and freeboard.  Safety first to ensure many days of fishing.

54 minutes ago, Pair of Jacks said:

Wrinkle star is spot on regarding appropriate weather watching for small boats.  Last year in May we spent a week on Henderson Bay with our 16 ft Tracker Laker DLX….we got about 21/2 days fishing as wind and T-storms cycled through the entire week.  Hence my repurchase/refit of my 1992 SeaRay 200OV into a FL/LO fishing platform.  Significant increase in stability and freeboard.  Safety first to ensure many days of fishing.

Good advice. LO is an inland sea and can’t be underestimated . Small boats are fine for inshore spring fishing , but later in the season ( like now ) , the fishing moves offshore and a 20 mile run to fish is normal. A seaworthy vessel is a necessity. It can go from calm to 6 ‘ waves in very short order. Ask me how I know 😝. A vhf radio is a life saving addition to your gear   

Hi LOU crew. I fish both LO and Champlain and find the members on the United forums are exceptional and very helpful for all fishermen especially for those of use who have to travel to the big waters to enjoy our sport. By using wind finder.com and united forum it helps me determine whether it’s worth the 4 hour drive. Without your personal advice I have driven up to the lake just to turn around and go to fat Nancy’s and the drive back to the poconos without ever putting the boat in the water. I have a 17 foot starweld so needless to say waves matter. I trying to decide if I should come this Sunday. ( Father’s Day) 😁 I like fishing Mexico Bay Area. Any local advice would be appreciated. But mostly, thank you all for always giving great advice for us traveling fishers. 👍

Looks to me like it is going to build tonight into tommorow.  And then calm back down again tomorrow afternoon.  I would expect 2 footers with a north wind tonight into early tomorrow .  Then laying down again.  And from what I have heard it's been pretty slow still.  If you want to fish bass henderson and chaumont aren't a long run and those bays will be flat.  

1 hour ago, Drcaddis said:

Hi LOU crew. I fish both LO and Champlain and find the members on the United forums are exceptional and very helpful for all fishermen especially for those of use who have to travel to the big waters to enjoy our sport. By using wind finder.com and united forum it helps me determine whether it’s worth the 4 hour drive. Without your personal advice I have driven up to the lake just to turn around and go to fat Nancy’s and the drive back to the poconos without ever putting the boat in the water. I have a 17 foot starweld so needless to say waves matter. I trying to decide if I should come this Sunday. ( Father’s Day) 😁 I like fishing Mexico Bay Area. Any local advice would be appreciated. But mostly, thank you all for always giving great advice for us traveling fishers. 👍

Windfinder is something I would not plan a trip around many times I have been at the dock with 4 footers and the app said 1 footers 

• Like 3

Thank you guys for the advice. I agree about windfinder. I too have driven up and found waves bigger than advertised. I just know if it’s from the north I might as well go fly fish some stream and save gas $$ . Happy Father’s Day to all

On 6/16/2023 at 8:12 AM, wrinklestar said:

I watch the Bill Saiff daily reports for an idea of what is happening on the east end.   Unfortunately, depending on your boat size, you kind of need to fish the eastern end when lake O allows.  But it should be heating up in the next couple of weeks.  

Bill saif posted a 15 lb brown and a pile of lake trout yesterday including a 23 lb laker, he said 150ft of water for lakers.great pics on his page,,,Not my report, it's slowww for me today on my couch, can't catch them here,,,,,lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Drcaddis said:

I have been driving up from North Eastern PA about 8-10 times per year for about 10 years. I have an 18 foot Skeeter MX which is a multi species boat. It handles 2-3 footers fairly well, but anything over that is a stretch. I have found that you can't always rely on the wind or weather forecasts. My best bet is have a plan A, B C and D. There are many options with a mid sized trailer-able boat from Oswego-St Lawrence River. Here is a list of places I have fished to save a trip from the wind witches, starting from south to north.

Oneida

Oneida River

Oswego River

Sandy Pond

Henderson Harbor

Black River Bay

Chaumont/Guffin Bays

St Lawrence River

Using the shoreline as a wind buffer, you can almost always find somewhere to hide from the wind with a little effort and a few extra bucks for gas. You may not be able to target the species you would like to, but with a few extra spinning rods and some artificials, you can save a trip.

Now for a recent report. We just got back from Henderson this afternoon. We fished Oneida on the way up Wednesday and struck out for walleye. We got reports that some people did well on Wednesday, so it was just that we didn't find them. Fished 8 hours in the rain and light wind. The good rain gear made the day enjoyable.

Day 2 we fished out of Long Point out of Chaumont for bass, our target species on this trip. The reports were very poor. Late in the day we ran along Point Peninsula and found the mother lode of perch and put quite a few of those in the live well. We also marked a lot of what appeared to be walleye on the bottom but where unable to get them to bite our jigs and blade bits. Our trolling gear was at the cabin, as we cannot possibly load everything onto our boat and still have room to fish. Not a bad day. We did land a few bass in the low teens and a 28 inch northern.

Friday, we switched over to our walleye setup and gave them a go with stickbaits. Again, not a rod moved except for perch after perch. We had 3 inch perch trying to eat Rapala J 11s. Lots of work but still enjoyed it. Again loads of marks on the bottom in 20-30 FOW. On the way back we stopped at the shoal at the mouth of BRB and landed a nice bunch of bass in the low teens. One was over 15. Loads of fun. The run back to Henderson was nice and smooth. Thoroughly enjoy being in my boat!! We have found if the winds are light it is better to run to Chaumont than drive. We spend enogh time in the truck on the way up. Spent last evening with some friends in our cabin, who stayed over night on their way to Canada for the week.

We take one charter a year to learn. We also pick up something and enjoy a relaxing day without all the prep and work.

Mediocre fishing but a great trip, and a lot better than anything I know of here in PA!!

• Like 3

We come out of Kingston,  Ontario and frequently troll both sides of Duck Islands,  the Wall,  etc.

Big  Lakers have been steady every trip in 110-120 fow, except one skunked day. 

Salmon will start their closest pass by the Ducks soon.   We have bigger boats,   and as others have mentioned,  be careful.   

In addition to lots of usual safety gear, +cell and VHF, consider adding the following,  especially if you frequently fish solo as I do. 

On my inflatable life jacket:

remote Bluetooth kill switch,  autopilot remote,  ACR ResQlink emergency satellite beacon. 

If I fall overboard,  my wife will find the body,  and know she can start dating right away.   LOL !

Heading out at sun up !

20 hours ago, tedc54 said:

I have been driving up from North Eastern PA about 8-10 times per year for about 10 years. I have an 18 foot Skeeter MX which is a multi species boat. It handles 2-3 footers fairly well, but anything over that is a stretch. I have found that you can't always rely on the wind or weather forecasts. My best bet is have a plan A, B C and D. There are many options with a mid sized trailer-able boat from Oswego-St Lawrence River. Here is a list of places I have fished to save a trip from the wind witches, starting from south to north.

Oneida

Oneida River

Oswego River

Sandy Pond

Henderson Harbor

Black River Bay

Chaumont/Guffin Bays

St Lawrence River

Using the shoreline as a wind buffer, you can almost always find somewhere to hide from the wind with a little effort and a few extra bucks for gas. You may not be able to target the species you would like to, but with a few extra spinning rods and some artificials, you can save a trip.

Now for a recent report. We just got back from Henderson this afternoon. We fished Oneida on the way up Wednesday and struck out for walleye. We got reports that some people did well on Wednesday, so it was just that we didn't find them. Fished 8 hours in the rain and light wind. The good rain gear made the day enjoyable.

Day 2 we fished out of Long Point out of Chaumont for bass, our target species on this trip. The reports were very poor. Late in the day we ran along Point Peninsula and found the mother lode of perch and put quite a few of those in the live well. We also marked a lot of what appeared to be walleye on the bottom but where unable to get them to bite our jigs and blade bits. Our trolling gear was at the cabin, as we cannot possibly load everything onto our boat and still have room to fish. Not a bad day. We did land a few bass in the low teens and a 28 inch northern.

Friday, we switched over to our walleye setup and gave them a go with stickbaits. Again, not a rod moved except for perch after perch. We had 3 inch perch trying to eat Rapala J 11s. Lots of work but still enjoyed it. Again loads of marks on the bottom in 20-30 FOW. On the way back we stopped at the shoal at the mouth of BRB and landed a nice bunch of bass in the low teens. One was over 15. Loads of fun. The run back to Henderson was nice and smooth. Thoroughly enjoy being in my boat!! We have found if the winds are light it is better to run to Chaumont than drive. We spend enogh time in the truck on the way up. Spent last evening with some friends in our cabin, who stayed over night on their way to Canada for the week.

We take one charter a year to learn. We also pick up something and enjoy a relaxing day without all the prep and work.

Mediocre fishing but a great trip, and a lot better than anything I know of here in PA!!

Lots of good info. I also fished some other waters this weekend due to the weird wind reports. Fished chaumont on Friday and had the same problem with the perch. Managed one walleye on a flicker minnow 9 in 29 ft of water. Was the only good bite all day. Fished Oneida today with my pops.  We struggled all morning with jigging and trolling cranks. Switched to worm harnesses trolled at 1.0-1.3 and they hammered em. Slow and live was the go to. Was fishing near the Shackleton shoal area. Looked like there was a big bug hatch recently on Oneida based on the endless carnage of bugs on the surface. it might be like that for the next couple weeks. Definitely alot of good water around the area when the small boat guy can’t get on the big lake. 

• Like 1

I was on Oneida last week and it appeared a big hatch was on the verge and the walleyes wanted a slooow presentation and not on an aggressive blade bait bite, probably still the case even more now. Still haven’t been on Ontario yet, still waiting to get the kicker installed before I make that trip. Hopefully there is still some sort of bite within 200’ by the time I get out there.