Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

In the deer woods again today for the pm shift. I haven't been in this stand since I shot a buck on the last gun opener. 

I have had a stud walking during shooting light the past two nights here. Wind is perfect for this set. Fingers crossed.

Screenshot_20231017-154918~2.png

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Oh I just stuck an arrow in him!!!!

The shot looked great. Broadside. About 2/3 down. Not a pass though. He ran away back into the woods with my lumenock in him. I'm gonna sit until dark and sneak out of here. Come back in a few hours 

Screenshot_20231017-154918~2.png

• Like 5

Change of plans... going at first light tomorrow. Last thing I want to do is go after it too fast. Didnt see him go down and of course he went back into the thick stuff. Going back tomorrow morning at 730. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Legacy said:

Change of plans... going at first light tomorrow. Last thing I want to do is go after it too fast. Didnt see him go down and of course he went back into the thick stuff. Going back tomorrow morning at 730. 

Good luck!

October 17 pm

WSW wind 5-10 mph

Cloudy skies

With the weather conditions close to perfect I made time in my schedule to make sure I was sitting in a tree for the afternoon. With the wind I elected to hunt a set that a buck had been daylighting the day before and 2 days before right at sunset (as per cell cam). Well he showed up for a third day in a row and it proved to be his last. The woods is still so thick and green I never saw him until he was standing 20 yards in front of me. He busted me reaching for my bow and was on high alert. He busted me again as I remove the bow from the bow hook and now he was concerned. He did a 180 degree turn around a bush and as he turned away from me I drew my bow. He step back into the shooting wind at about 22 yards, stopped, and I let an arrow fly. The shot looked perfect and I watched my arrow leave with him and nockturnal nock light up the woods. The shot looked good and felt good. It was about 610 when I arrowed him. I elected to sit until almost 7 because he headed back the same direction I came in and I didn't want to bump him as I was walking out.

As by my post I was originally going to go back in a few hours but I elected to wait until morning. I actually slept pretty good believe it or not. I think because I felt the **** was on the money.

This morning we got in the, got on the shot site, and found nothing. Zero. I jumped on the trail and headed down it just based on direction of travel when I saw him run off. Nothing. No blood. About 20 yards in my kid found a puddle of blood. I switched to a different parallel deer trail and about 10 yards further I found half of my arrow. There was a bit of blood on the tree that broke the arrow off and  after that zero blood again. WTF. I literally walked blindly down the deer trail another 20 yards and saw a white belly just off the deer trail. You cant imagine how happy I was to see that! All in all deer went about 75 yards. When I walked out last night I was within 30 yards of him. Yotes got to him a bit and chewed off his damn tail and opened the arrow wound up a bit. Here's some pics.

IMG_20231018_074851800.jpg

received_2076554596010384.jpeg

received_1749260738833704.jpeg

received_825006009359371.jpeg

• Like 10