Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

8 hours ago, machzrcr said:

Been going almost everyday.  Hitting different properties trying to find me a good one that's still alive!  Let the grind continue!  

No doubt the grind time of the year! Good luck!

• Like 1

For what ever reason I have chosen to be super selective this year.  I have passed on three nice bucks so far and it is eating at me. Bucks are waiting for the next estrous cycle and have resorted to moving only after the sun is down. Does have relaxed again as they are not being chased.  The next reshuffle will occur when appreciable snowfall will knock down the goldenrod and condense deer into their winter ranges in the timber.  Sleep in and stay sane and don’t bother hunting the mornings unless your group does deer drives or a cold front is approaching. The grind will continue the final week of the season. I am looking forward to a weekend of derby fishing for walleye then a week off to hit the second estrous cycle. 

12 hours ago, Gill-T said:

For what ever reason I have chosen to be super selective this year.  I have passed on three nice bucks so far and it is eating at me. Bucks are waiting for the next estrous cycle and have resorted to moving only after the sun is down. Does have relaxed again as they are not being chased.  The next reshuffle will occur when appreciable snowfall will knock down the goldenrod and condense deer into their winter ranges in the timber.  Sleep in and stay sane and don’t bother hunting the mornings unless your group does deer drives or a cold front is approaching. The grind will continue the final week of the season. I am looking forward to a weekend of derby fishing for walleye then a week off to hit the second estrous cycle. 

Banking on the second estrous is like bankin on winning the lottery.. food is starting to be the driving force again

Edited by Chromeslayer
  • Like 1

Time for that late season strategy change. Find that late season hot food source! These next 2 evenings sits on food should be decent so start to bank on food. Once the does start to show up in droves then the bucks will be quick to follow.

We’ll I screwed up tonight.. the bow was calling my name when I was getting ready to hunt the afternoon I grabbed it and left the 308, got to the thicket where deer usually cross 20 yards in a small bedding area but tonight a 130 inch 8 decided to walk by about 50 yards out no shot..

Edited by Roys Boys

1 hour ago, Roys Boys said:

We’ll I screwed up tonight.. the bow was calling my name when I was getting ready to hunt the afternoon so I grabbed it and left the 308, got to the thicket where deer usually cross 20 yards in a small bedding area but tonight a 130 inch 8 decided to walk by about 50 yards out no shot..

O man!!   Good to know he's still alive thou! 

First year was great as you can imagine. Now it is just any other piece of state land. Guy on the NW corner is Amish. He and his two boys are always walking the hill. Like any state land if you learn your quarry and other hunters habits, you can score. I have been in deer each time there. The bigs are gone ( I shot one of them hehe). A big problem with state land is the loss of button bucks. They are vulnerable this time of year. 

Two months into the season and my buck tag is still in my pocket. I’m hunting a lot and have seen a lot of bucks. Have passed a lot of 2 1/2 and younger bucks. October 18 I had one of my target bucks inside 40 yards but I couldn’t get a clean shot. Have seen two or three other big bucks but no shot. 
Decided I better knock down a doe for the freezer and I knew the one I wanted. Although the foodplot in my backyard is loaded with doe every evening there is one that travels with in a group at one of our leases with two younger doe and a couple yearlings. Multiple times during bow on that property she would find me and blow at me. 
Around 9:30 this morning the group appeared in front of me at 30 yards. The yearlings came out followed by some older deer but I waited. Sure enough I saw her long face come through the brush and I shot her. Pain in the butt recovery through wet swampy terrain and a long drag to where I could get the quad to but got her loaded and out by myself. She won’t be blowing anymore. 

IMG_5488.jpeg

• Like 11