Well , I guess we know now

2 hours ago, HB2 said:

We were wondering how the kings weight would be this spring . 

I guess we now know .

But there sure are a lot of them 

There were some good kings caught before the derby.  I saw a 26 and a 25 on Facebook.  The Saint Catherines Fish and Game club derby has a 25 and change leading.  We boated a 20.8 yesterday out of Sandy.   The Baitfish biomass being low excuse being the reason for the smaller kings is complete BS.  Seeing that the bait biomass is up, king size should be up and that is not the case at all.  I would love to see the chart from the hatchery showing the percentage of age of each year class that made it to the hatchery last fall.  I would be willing to bet, a ton of two year olds spawned last year.  

• Like 1

The data speaks for itself. This data looks at the 10th place Salmon in each derby. Spring of 2021 was an anomaly, but we're pretty much on par the Spring weights for the derby. It's the Fall weights that seem to be falling off.

MEDIAN Fall Summer Spring
2024     22.00
2023 27.05 26.02 21.10
2022 27.15 27.00 22.10
2021 29.03 28.04 24.10
2020 28.04 28.06 COVID
2019 29.12 27.15 21.01
2018 No Data 25.12 No Data
2017 30.08 27.09 21.11
2016 32.01 28.11 21.11
2015 29.02 25.15 20.12
2014 30.04 27.04 21.04
2013 33.04 32.01 26.00
2012 32.09 31.07 27.04
2011 32.04 29.00 23.14
2010 34.06 No Data No Data
2009 31.15 26.02 No Data
2005 30.01 No Data No Data

Average 30.26 27.63 22.49
  • Like 1

Well , it ain't nothing like it use to be 20 + years ago . And we are way better at catching them . And average size is not bigger . 

There is not nearly the amount of alwives in the lake like there was back then also . Can't deny that . 

Are these  low to mid  teens kings we are catching small 3 year olds ? I'd like to know that also . 

19 minutes ago, HB2 said:

Well , it ain't nothing like it use to be 20 + years ago . And we are way better at catching them . And average size is not bigger . 

There is not nearly the amount of alwives in the lake like there was back then also . Can't deny that . 

Are these  low to mid  teens kings we are catching small 3 year olds ? I'd like to know that also . 

The current bait biomass is way up compared to 2014-2019.  King size is down compared to that same time period.  The low teen kings you are catching are more than likely 2 year olds.  

4 hours ago, HB2 said:

Also has it occured to anyone those 25 and 26 # fish maybe 4 years old ? 

Doubtful.  Fewer and fewer 4 year olds.  I will see if I can find the slide from the state of the lake meeting showing the shift in age that made the hatchery.  

Good news is two years ago the amount of skippy kings was insane. Felt bad pulling riggers and dipsy rods with dead skips on them. Now those same skips are 10-18 lbs and they’re out there in numbers. Never seen this kind of numbers of quality fish. Not trophies but still fun to catch. So weird to be fishing deeper than 100 foot of water in April or May, not complaining. 

I have noticed that our Canadian brothers seem to catch on  occasion and consistently over the last so many years  the biggest fish of the season during the fishing year . 

Now why is that ? Either they are better or more lucky than we are . 

Or something to consider are those are North shore naturally reproduced fish that don't stray far from the breeding grounds . 

Other factors. Dr Weidel stated a good majority of the alewives caught in the survey this year were found in Canadian waters. Most years the bait is on the South side of the fence

I certainly do feel fortunate to have fished Lake O in the 90’s, not only because the fish were much bigger but you also used 12-17lb line and downriggers. It was just simpler and less heavy tackle.

The East End State of the Lake Meeting will be on July 17th, at 7PM, at the Mexico VFW.  Chris LeGard, Steve Hurst, et al... will be there to give information about the latest data and projects as well as to answer questions form the public.  It is being hosted by ELOSTA and all fishermen are welcome and encouraged to attend.  This has been a worthwhile evening in the past and has taken the place of the large meeting format that used to occur at Pulaski High School.

ELOSTA has hosted this on the east end since the old meeting format was scrapped.  I do not know who hosts the other regions of the lake. 

It has been a more relaxed format with a ton of information shared.  The more people who attend and get to interact with the presenters the better informed we will be.  Plus it is great to hear some other fishermen's perspectives and ideas on the fishery - a good night out.  Hoping to see a packed venue.

No, the meetings are still as they have been. Third Wednesday of each month except August which is after the picnic. Had one last night. Great discussions. The July one is hosting the state of the lake in addition to the normal minutes. 

19 hours ago, Morgan-E said:

ELOSTA has hosted this on the east end since the old meeting format was scrapped.  I do not know who hosts the other regions of the lake. 

It has been a more relaxed format with a ton of information shared.  The more people who attend and get to interact with the presenters the better informed we will be.  Plus it is great to hear some other fishermen's perspectives and ideas on the fishery - a good night out.  Hoping to see a packed venue.

Yes, the local charter group hosts the State here, too.  But publicity is non-existent, I would have missed the one a couple of weeks ago if I had not seen it on here.  Attendance was much lower than when it was held at RIT as a stand alone meeting, also likely because few knew about it.  

5 minutes ago, Lucky13 said:

Yes, the local charter group hosts the State here, too.  But publicity is non-existent, I would have missed the one a couple of weeks ago if I had not seen it on here.  Attendance was much lower than when it was held at RIT as a stand alone meeting, also likely because few knew about it.  

It is posted on Facebook, here, their email list and the website for the charter association.   Can't say it's non-existent.  

3 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

Last year it was in June and the gun club was pretty full. This years attendance was terrible. Probably because I knew guys that were gone for the derby. Maybe that was part of the reason. 

• Like 1