Three Rods per Man

What ever happened to the Three Rods per person suggestion . Politicians more worried about themselfs vs the people that put them there !?! They did not need our approval to raise the license fees ! Now we have to kiss their A** for them to do something for us. Seems like its at little back wards ( No Pun intended ) time to clean house.

Do not blame the polititians on this one gents. It is in their best intrest to pass this . It will be like throwing you a bone for all the bonehead things that they have been or been not doing. To distract you from what is really going on . It is in the best intresest of the economy of the state to also pass this . Think about it . For a three man crew you would need 3 extra rods, probably specialty, such as copper, wire dipsys or lead core, more lures, Extra rodholders . At 200 average by 3 thats 600 bucks x 8%tax rev & dealer income tax to the state. Nice haul. Factor in all the extra tangles & breakoffs for even more. My guess is that the average guy will catch the same or even less & the experinced will catch a few more. On another point the catch rate is the highest it's been so whats the problem? The letter I recieved back from beurea of fisheries says they are NOT in fovor of it but I guess a politition knows better. . Does that paper in the bookbag have some truth? We have a good thing going so lets be happy with it & not get greedy. Some days you get em some you don't . That's fishin.

Has been do you even know how your head of the dept of fisheries got the job?

Or what his qualifications are?

Or the fact that the majority of NY sportsmen were not at all happy with his appointment?

Do some research.

There are new guys on the site that might put some credence into your ramblings.

Thats not a good thing.

Take into consideration the guys that are out there fishing day in and day out and what they have to say. They just might have a little something to share thats worth something. I believe these guys are the real experts.

And definatley NOT, as you state greedy for wanting to run a more productive spread and catch the fish they are out there for.

Glen

I read the reports of a lot of guys on this site&others & it seems to me most have a pretty high catch rate , so whats the problem? I guess my unfounded " Ramblings " are pretty baseless . I should think the policies of the B of F that gives you the fisheriy that we are so fond of & has weathered the storm of the invasive expolsion , VHS plauge , & baitfish problems would merit a little consideration also. A team that is most likly pretty well educated on the participants of the everchanging ecosystem of LO and it's past & forcasted future.I would think its a pretty tough job of keeping everyone happy, I could care less about the head of it or why he got his job. . Why would the B of F not be in favor of it? If it were for strictly economic or political reasons I figure it would already be passed. Maybe the new guys haven't drank the koolaid yet. It's fishin, not catchin.I thank God for blessing me with having this great fishry pretty much in my back yard.

Has Been,

Lake Michigan has had the 3 rod rule for a few years now and there fishing has not suffered one bit. If the 3 rod rule was so damaging to the fishery (as you say it is), wouldn't there catch rates and return rates suffer? Go to Great Lakes Angler and ask some of the Lake Michigan guys how the 3 rod rule affected the population of fish in the lake. You will be suprised to find out that the fishery has not suffered at allfrom over fishing.

In South Carolina, on Santee Cooper Reservoir, I saw a guy come in with his 21 foot Jon boat. He had 12 rod holders on each side for a total of 24 on the boat. He was a catfisherman and he had an 80 pound catfish. I guess they know better down South.

Lake Michigan suffered from excessive forage base predation due to overstocking.Their Kings average about 9 lbs, but have gotten a little bigger as of late. Fished out of Sheyboygan 2004 thru 2006. More fish but much smaller. Thirty + kings per day was not uncommon. Biggest king I caught during that period was 22 lbs.

Lake Michigan suffered from excessive forage base predation due to overstocking.Their Kings average about 9 lbs, but have gotten a little bigger as of late. Fished out of Sheyboygan 2004 thru 2006. More fish but much smaller. Thirty + kings per day was not uncommon. Biggest king I caught during that period was 22 lbs.

But the did the 3 rod rule destroy the fishery like HAS BEEN says it will if Lake Ontario gets 3 rods?

I don't think I said it will destroy the fishery. I belive it will survive one way or another & has thru a lot of adversity. To me it's why I prefer to use a fly rod over a float rod with bait. Or maybe the new trend with some bow hunters to go back to traditonal bows. The deer will still be just as dead with an asault rifle , but should we use it instead of a hunting rifle.We Gentleman & sportsman police ourselves . More fish landed means more dead. The percentages prove that.We have a good thing going. The fishery is getting back to the good old days, lets try to keep it that way. After all I have said on this subject you either get that or you don't . It's fishing, not catching.

If Mich jumps off a bridge, should we?

No state is doing more than Michigan to protect the Great Lakes fishery. Look what they're going through with the asian carp.

BTW - They had such great success with the 3 rod rule, they expanded it to all waters of their state.

We should police ourselves - But police to within the law, not to what your fantasies are. After all, if you want to hunt deer with a butter knife, go ahead, if it's legal.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I don't believe that changing the law would make that big of a difference. There are way to many variables involved to say that adding an extra rod per person would positively or negatively impact a fishery as diverse as Lake Ontario. First, this law would only apply to trollers and drifters. What percent of the fishing population is made up of these types of fisherman? I fish the west end and I believe that more people target bass on any given weekend then there are people fishing salmon. People give the bar the reputation as "combat fishing", I'll agree during derbies. People from the area will probably agree with me that on a beautiful nonderby Saturday there may be 6-7 boats out at the bar. If we are talking about an area this is 16 square miles (Just an estimate) I don't see how adding 12-14 extra rods will hurt. I believe that the salmon population is doing great at our end and could easily sustain more fishing pressure. I think that changing to 3 rods might benefit charter captains more than anyone else. These guys know what they are doing and given the opportunity 3 rods might turn a mediocre day into a day that gets clients to return for another trip. I feel that anything that we can do to help reach more people and bring them into this sport (without damaging it) is a great idea. If our numbers continue to fall, we wont have to worry about two rods or three rods. Also, the bar is six miles offshore I believe that people have been fishing more then two rods for a very long time. I am not condoning it, I just know that it happens. I have seen boats with two guys and more rods than you can count and I have also witnessed one gentlemen that jigs for fish in 250 ft of water with one rod. I do not think that this law would impact many or change the number of rods that the majority use. I was on a boat last year with three other people that had a 12' beam and outriggers but we only ran 6 rods. This is what the captain was comfortable with and this is what we used. Two or three rods would not change the way that I fish but might hep others. All for it.