Jump to content

LOC winner...heres the pics...PAUL HARVEY VERSION

Recommended Posts

Fishing Report

Your Name / Boat Name:Anthony Mangs boat





Time on Water:


Wind Speed/Direction:


Surface Temp:






Total Hits: 1

Total Boated:1

Species Breakdown: KING

Hot Lure:

Trolling Speed:

Down Speed:

Boat Depth:

Lure Depth:






Anthony Mang...Youngstown...22 years old...great guy...fishin with riggers one year...picks up everthing one time. 32lbs14oz, 43inch LOC leader. I have not posted but a couple of times. Thanks to everyone for the nice comments...The paul harvey version, my kids are tired of hearing about it. Larry and I went to high school together in lewiston. We got our first boat with a couple of riggers four years ago, two years ago we got our first nice boat(20 foot Penn Yan). Last spring we decided we needed a full time driver, enter Anthony. After two trips do you think we could get him to drive. He's alot younger and faster than us. In my intro to LOU one year ago i wrote about a captain friend of ours named Lloydd Schrack(Ameri-can charters). May 4, 2009 Lloydd had a paying customer on his 20 foot lund. They caught a 32 lb laker and were not entered in the LOC.(fishtheniagara.com) if you want to see the laker. Larry owns the forementioned Penn Yan. He has not missed a trip in four years, not one. Anthony was hooked from day one. He couldn't get enough, he even bought his own boat on top of three trips a week with us (19 foot mach one open bow). Larry is building a new garage this year (the man cave). The stone guy was suppose to drop a load on the new driveway. He didn't show by the way. Larry stayed home. This was the first time I even saw Anthonys boat. We made plans for Friday and saturday. I am the only one who lives away from the lake. I'm in Clarence. Anthony worked until one on Friday, he meet me at Larrys in Lewiston. The weather report was calling for winds out of the ssw at 6mph, PERFECT. We drove to the red can and got set up. Thirty minutes later a 20 mph wind from the east had four footers kickin our butts. We went in and learned that someone had put up a 27lb laker. We were depressed. We started in on the beer. We had alot more drinkin time than we're used to. Anthony was not in good spirits. I told him not to worry,that in the morning we would get a 33lb king and win this, our first LOC. Man did we laugh!! We finished at the stone jug in Youngstown at 2 am. We walked back to Anthonys and slept for two hours. At 4 am on the 1st of May we left the fort and headed for the bar. We trolled with spoons on two riggers an old rattle trap that doesn't catch alot of fish but always catches big ones on a dipsy. Spoons for the first three hours because I had been reading this forum. At around seven am we were trolling east in 180 feet of water. A very nice cream colored charter boat was pulling in a small king to our starbard side, they were close to us, a couple hundred feet. Anthony has never been on the boat when we caught anything on a dipsy. I could see the diver come out of the water and I commented on it. I kept watching and a white spin doctor poped up. I said to Anthony "Look ". I've already told you Anthony is our greenhorn. After buying the boat last year, when he went out without us his tackle consisted of two doctors and two flys. He caught alot of fish. Over the winter he stocked up on all new stuff. 15 doctors and more variety of spoons and flies than I've seen. So we reset the riggers with spin/fly combos, brand new out of the box. Fifteen minutes later I was driving, Anthony had set the lines(I'm not used to manual riggers). Pop! our first rod fire of the LOC. Anthony is a lot younger and faster than us, he was on that rod in less than a second. I learned real fast how to bring up some manual riggers. It took me five minutes to clear everthing up and I started my one week old video camera. When Anthony first hooked up, the fish took about one hundred feet of line. After I started tapeing there wasn't anything out of the ordinary Anthony was clowning for the camera and making ground on the fish. We use sort of an abnormal line set up so after 10 minutes we saw a swivel break the surface, I was still filming. I got my first look at the fish. It was long, too long, my heart just about stoped. I went into a panick. Now there is no way I am going to remember exactly what was said, but here goes. I put the camera down and went for the net like I was 22 again. Anthony said "is it over twenty pound" . I said "its over thirty". I got to tell you it was a sight in the water, there was no mistaking it, it was something special. Alot of you were out that morning, she was in that perfect green water with visability down 10 feet. Did I mention how long she was in the water. Picture two 15 pounders end to end. She even moved differently than what I'm used to. I tried unsuccessfully to net her four times. Each time she took about 50 feet of line. The third time was the funniest thing you ever saw. Anthony and I had traded places multiple time, like where I was standing was gonna make a difference. Anthony ended up in the open bow. I was at the back of the drivers seat. he had tightened the drag and pulled her up so he had about ten feet of line between the rod tip and the fish. I had my best view of her. Did I mention how long she was. I didn't even get the net out over the water and with one flip of the tail she was headed straight down. That move is the coolest thing I have ever seen fishing. Anthony had that tight drag and got pulled to his knees on the seats in the open bow. The rod tip on Larrys eyeless 8 footer was 10 inches under water. It was the fifth time that was the charm. Like a great night of fun lovin, I don't know how we ended up where we did. I was in the bow and Anthony behind the drivers seat. I bought a net last year that was the biggest on the rack at gander. That fish used every inch of the net. So we had her netted and I screamed Anthony you just landed twelve thousand dollars. It took both of us to lift her over the edge, my strength had failed. Ten minutes later we were on our way in (7:50 am). We called larry from the boat and he drove from Lewiston and meet us there. The weigh station opens at 9 not 8, like we thought. So for one hour we jumped around the dock like the cats in the rocking chair factory. Special thanks to Lloydd Shrack, two years ago he made a trip with Larry and I right after we got the Penn Yan. He brought these goof lookin rigs he called spin docks...Thanks Lloydd, Also Tom Hickey, Thanks Tom he is an old mechanic who still works at a local gm dealership. Tom has done a ton of work on our boats and the price is always the same, One case of beer. I hope this fired you up, I have alot of nervous energy for some reason. I DO KNOW THERE ARE SEVEN DAYS LEFT, so no hatch chicken comments please... catch us if you can...And thats the rest of the story I'm Steve Langley FISH ON!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

THE STORY IS THE PRIZE.......... :clap: ...................The fish is the "bonus"..after reading the story and knowing the kid needs (could use) the money more than me if i get a 35 lbr ill release it. :( ...................................................................after i weigh it in :lol:

PS:Whoever told you a spoon bite was hot in the spring,should be cursed with a bald head and a hairy back....................watermelon,silver w/diag purple tape,rasberry,m&m's....worked in the good ole days (last year)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great story and good luck on the LOC. By the way that has got to be one of the bigest fish I have seen weighed in this time of year in ages. I wonder how big it would have been in the fall 40 + maybe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is a great spring fish that you guys got. I was the captain of the boat that landed that 27lb laker Friday morning. We thought the fish was a king by the way she was taking line and fighting. After about 10 minutes of fighting the fish she is about 50 feet behind the boat and my stomach dropped. It was the biggest laker I have ever seen in my life. When we all saw the fish we were in udder amazement. She made it to the net and all we could do was laugh our asses off, and high fives all over the place. It was huge. We weighed it on our boga between 26-28lbs so we decided to run in. Official weight was 27lbs even. It may be a laker but it is for sure a trophy fish in my eyes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...